more BIG bass

Another topic on the way down the pan :angry:

( Sounds like some likkle Cots have been rattled ) :2: very much so john

don't know about returning fish but some people want to return their brain into gear before opening their

great big cakeholes

nice wind up john

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muttley
So there's some decent fish to be had on the Norfolk Coast.

Unfortunately my next weekend is prebooked but the diary does look as if there could be a few free days coming up.

Fish for the plate, n freezer, sounds very appetizing.

I was walking past my local supermarket’s fish stall and noticed some very likkle fish, no good to me; I’d put them back.

Ah well Norfolk Boy, I’ll soon be giving you a call, asking if you’d like to come and join us, too try and catch some decent size fish.

Now where did I put my Priest?

Funny ha ha.....i'm wetting myself

Stavey said "..how do you educate these people and convince them to do otherwise.."?

I'm lead to believe that the majority of the big bass caught and kept on the pier end up being sold to local pubs and hotels. I'm not sure how you would "educate" people who may be unemployed and skint into returning these fish. I'm not going to pass judgement on them, tho' I wouild like to see the majority of these fish returned.

Tell them to get a bloody job...it ain't rocket science is it!!

Or appeared on WSF or in the EDP (INCLUDING THE SEA FISHING REPORTS SECTION! which this week was written by ......), or talk amongst the tourists and at the tackle shops. At least it's self regulating in that there can only be so many anglers on there at once. How many fishermen look in now anyway? Fact is most people who go there will get it wrong and catch nothing.

The report in the EDP was made as non descript as could be whilst being aware of the feature on the opposite page, what kind of report wouldn't mention fish like that ? The actual EDP report mentions fish over 9lb (no specifics) and that they've probably gone now with the mackerel (don't bother fishing it), pretty obvious lack of detail and the fact that the fish have gone. If you can't see what I was trying to do then give me a ring or drop me a mail and I'll spell it out. As for self regulating, thats a joke, you can't stop people fishing there and they will, there was another picture on another forum with a guy with a 5lber, behind him a rod every metre or so. Not my cup of tea personally and I only ever fish the pier when I can't fish from a beach in the winter and I've never fished for bass off there. The point I was making as well you know (re reporting or not reporting) is a valid one, we could have had this same discussion without the specifics. irrelevant now and to be honest probably a waste of type as the local authority will be stopping angling from the pier due to the mess being left. Dangerous practices (casting) and sooner or later someone will get in someones way and get a slap, the police will be called then that will be that, probably not a bad thing, for the fish at least.

The report in the EDP was made as non descript as could be whilst being aware of the feature on the opposite page, what kind of report wouldn't mention fish like that ? The actual EDP report mentions fish over 9lb (no specifics)

and I quote from the report '... bass in excess of 9lb have fallen to mackeral fished under the pier...'

Not that specific then.

I don't think it makes any difference that this has been mentioned on here given the coverage to people who can actually access the place locally.

Anyway, we've got cod to catch now.

In case anybody thinks we're arguing we're not. I know Holmesy and he is an accomplished responsible angler who puts back more bass each year than I catch.

Why can't you all be civil like Holmesy and I? Been a bit of editorial manipulation going on by the EDP it seems. Holmesy, let's leave them to it and go fishing!

Edited by A Norfolk Boy

The report in the EDP was made as non descript as could be whilst being aware of the feature on the opposite page, what kind of report wouldn't mention fish like that ? The actual EDP report mentions fish over 9lb (no specifics) and that they've probably gone now with the mackerel (don't bother fishing it), pretty obvious lack of detail and the fact that the fish have gone. If you can't see what I was trying to do then give me a ring or drop me a mail and I'll spell it out. As for self regulating, thats a joke, you can't stop people fishing there and they will, there was another picture on another forum with a guy with a 5lber, behind him a rod every metre or so. Not my cup of tea personally and I only ever fish the pier when I can't fish from a beach in the winter and I've never fished for bass off there. The point I was making as well you know (re reporting or not reporting) is a valid one, we could have had this same discussion without the specifics. irrelevant now and to be honest probably a waste of type as the local authority will be stopping angling from the pier due to the mess being left. Dangerous practices (casting) and sooner or later someone will get in someones way and get a slap, the police will be called then that will be that, probably not a bad thing, for the fish at least.

Hello Holmesy

To be honest, when I made the jackanory comment, (tongue in cheek), I had a pretty good idea of where Norfolk Boy was talking about. Sadly, it isn't much of a secret any more. I commend your efforts at trying to deflect attention from it, but with that many people fishing it on a regular basis it's impossible.

Thankfully, you and Norfolk Boy know other places that are throwing up big bass that are less well known, and are both doing a good job of keeping it that way.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

My favourite species to fish for is Bass in fact I’m addicted, both from the boat and the shore.

I’m very successful at catching them too, although I’m not keen on eating any fish I do take one or two home for my wife and an odd one for a mate or two.

I would never decry anyone taking a feed of fish home.

Now what really grigs me is that lately on this and other forums there have been posts from anglers wanting to know where to catch Bass from.

The post usually goes like this “I’m going to fish at such and such a place; I want to catch some Bass. Where’s the best mark, what time of the tide, what bait etc”.

After a day or two with little or no response their back on the thread complaining, that no one has responded to tell them where to fish, and that the people who do know how and where to catch are a bunch of tossers for not sharing good Bass marks with them.

Is it little wonder when you see threads like this!!! A whole generation of big breeding fish wiped out in no time.

Where I fish regularly, both here in the I.o.M and around Luce Bay I belong to tight like minded group of acquaintances’ who share new marks and catch reports between ourselves and a few other formurites.

I’m often been asked about marks as where to fish for Bass, by locals and visitors. When I decline to offer any advice I usually end up having to endure a tirade of verbal abuse. So I usually respond thus.

“I have been fishing, angling for best part of forty five years, during that great part of my lifetime I have amassed considerable knowledge of places Bass frequent, what time they will be liable to show and the best way to target them. I have spent many hours, days even weeks seeking out new venues in all kinds of weather. And you expect me to impart to you that lifetime’s knowledge? I think not, get off your arse and do some leg work yourself”

I’m afraid I’ve seen a few good small Bass marks hammered to oblivion because of loose talk, tell one person he tells his mate, within a fortnight the whole world knows.

A good example was a fortnight ago. A twelve pound Bass was caught at 02:00 on Tuesday at Terally Bay, an odd one or two are caught there accidentally each year.

When I drove past Terally at 09:00 on Friday there was that many anglers fishing I actually thought a competition was taking place. It just goes to show how fast it gets around

My advice is if you do have a few favourite spots that will regularly produce Bass say absolutely nothing about the location or your angling will only be a fond memory.

Many thanks to John E for having his own photograph as an avatar, makes it easy for me to avoid him.

Unfortunately most of the idiots within angling tend to belong to the sea fishing fraternity. I don't know why but there is definately a culture there that does not understand and probably doesn't want to understand the consequences of their actions. I don't understand it.

I'm not sure if John E Ashford is on a wind up or genuinely believes that wiping out every large bass won't impact the fishing? But if he's serious then you can see why the future's bleak..

I also think the boat anglers genuinely don't understand how dire the shore fishing is. A 10lb bass from the shore is an extremely rare fish, a 10lb boat caught fish is fairly common, on the south coast at least. As a shore angler I dream of catching a doublefigure bass. If I ever do the last bloody thing I would do is kill it! Because I would like to catch it again. Can you imagine what would happen if you lugged a 40lb carp into the local tackle shop for it to be weighed?

JRT

Edited by JRT

Muttley said..."Tell them to get a bloody job...it ain't rocket science is it!!"

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. I'll try that next time I'm walking along the pier. I'm sure anyone who's unemployed who happens to be fishing will pack up instantly and rush to the job centre.

I'm not condoning the wholesale slaughter of bass that goes on down there, I wouldn't and dont have anything to do with it. I'm also not going to make excuses for "parasites on the back of all of us tax payers...." as that sort of thing annoys me as much as the next bloke, but put it like this, I wouldn't like to think I had to find a well paid job in north norfolk.

Whats the old saying? There but for the grace of god...

And for what its worth....

Imagine John E Ashford going fishing. He pulls up at the venue, puts the handbrake on and parks up. Then all the doors fall off his motor. Him and his mates, donning big floppy shoes, dungarees, orange wigs, scary face paints,and the latest Titan nose warmers (they're bright red and round), climb out of the car and procede to throw buckets of confetti over each other.

All very funny. NOT :angry: