Alderney Angling Shore Festival 2006

alderneyangling

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's all over for another year, and at last I've got time to get in front of the PC.

My week started brilliantly with a black bream of 3-1-10 falling to floatfished bread, not at all uncommon here.

Soon after I had a Couch's bream on the bottom rod of 1-4-0, that fell to legered verm (a type of ragworm only found in the C.I.)

So at the first weigh in I had 2 species on the leader board

That night my angling partner Puffin (from this forum) went for a combination of conger on one rod and legered worm on the other to see what was about. My luck had obviously run out as I blanked but Puffin's conger rod suddenly registered a cracking run. His live pout bait had been snaffled and I soon had to swap the gaff for a landing net when I saw a cracking bass thrashing on the surface

Puffin was over the moon when it turned out to be a PB of 9-9

Not only that he repeated the feat soon after with another of 6-5, on the same pout too!! Tight arse ;)

So after one day we were flying, 3 fish on the board (only allowed one fish per category) and looking forward to the rest of the week.

Thats when it started going wrong :rolleyes: Its all a bit of a blur of fishing and snatching a few hours kip when you can. Eating becomes an afterthought too, drinking a nono :schmoll:

About midweek I had a golden grey mullet which was half an ounce under the qualifying weight, the Puffin had one of 1-13-6 which made it 2 on the board for him . The pairs prize was looking good for us!

The next to last day, Friday, saw me stalking the golden greys and I was rewarded with a corker of 2-8-0 which made it another fish for me :yeah:

That afternoon we were mulleting and Puffin had one of about 3lb, one of many during the week for him, when I decided to ring the changes and go wrassing a bit further along the rocks.

After a quiet hour I had the bite which you know is the one, just a slight tremble then the crab is engulfed and the rod arches over. Fish on!

She went 6-5-0 and I kept her alive until the weigh in to be returned.

That made 4 fish for me and 2 for Puffin, the pairs look safe :sun:

The last morning saw us at it again, Puffin still after the elusive mullet (to 3-12 this time) and me after a garfish over 1lb. Suffice to say we failed but we had some good news that our team member in the 4's had a Couch's bream of 2-7-10 worth 127%, so now the team prize looked promising.

The Festival finished at midday and I found out I had done enough to lift the best CI angler trophy :clap2: :

Later at the presentation our efforts were rewarded with best pairs for Puffin and me plus best team of 4 for our team :clap:

The drinking wansn't a nono that night ;)

A great but totally exhausting week we had :thumbs:

Sounds like a great week fishing! Conversely, in the Bass festival in Jersey, most of my baits got taken by congers!

Do you have any pictures of verm you can post- think I have come across them but not too sure.

B.A.S.S. member

Do you have any pictures of verm you can post- think I have come across them but not too sure.

Have a look here Grant:-

http://www.fishing-guernsey.co.uk/Baits/ba...='Verm'

You're not likely to find them accidentally apart from the odd one digging rag. The kind of ground you find them in is like a mixture of hardcore and boulders the size of your head, with a bit of mud to stick it all together!!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Have a look here Grant:-

http://www.fishing-guernsey.co.uk/Baits/ba...='Verm'

You're not likely to find them accidentally apart from the odd one digging rag. The kind of ground you find them in is like a mixture of hardcore and boulders the size of your head, with a bit of mud to stick it all together!!

:clap2: No link to the Sea Angling News I note, why would that be? :clap2: