The good old days ...Whitby

mr motorola

1989 looked to be a great festival year with some monster ling and cod being weighed in , also some nice specimen fish and what about the haddock?

my uncle and myself are also in the sheets , me being in the juniors as i was a little nipper way back then

They certainly were the good old days, lets hope days of old are not far away

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989 looked to be a great festival year with some monster ling and cod being weighed in , also some nice specimen fish and what about the haddock?

my uncle and myself are also in the sheets , me being in the juniors as i was a little nipper way back then

They certainly were the good old days, lets hope days of old are not far away

Have a read of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6063168.stm

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest challenge

carl

Thanks for that fascinating information.

What a nostalgic trip to see all them boat names.

My first round of taking anglers finished in 74.

We did have a deca in the boat, but we did not have a radio.

You keep believing Carl. You had some good fishing last year and I hope you will have some good next.

ICES (who are paid good money for there advice,) have been stating for years that the Danes have a great sustainable sand ell fishery to exploit. they gave them there estimated recoverable quota and took the Danish money.

Three months later the Danes had to shut down the fishery because ICES had got it completely wrong. I wonder if they gave a rebate for there gross incompetence?

So don’t you believe everything you read Carl?

Fishermen are reporting a great year commercially (there have even been record grossings) a stable market and a stable supply has meant that the massive demand that there is for North Sea fish (by the consumer) is as healthy as the anglers demand.

Let’s think positive Carl. If you have had a good year what else can you do?

Take care mate.

Regards.

Fishermen are reporting a great year commercially (there have even been record grossings) a stable market and a stable supply has meant that the massive demand that there is for North Sea fish (by the consumer) is as healthy as the anglers demand.

If it wasnt the price of oil and the oil companies over the last couple of years throwing money around a lot of commercial fishing boats would have been in big trouble some were in big debt with poor fishing and now have managed to pull themselves round that is why most of the local fleet here are on oil jobs its more profitable and less hassle and guarenteed money.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

If it wasnt the price of oil and the oil companies over the last couple of years throwing money around a lot of commercial fishing boats would have been in big trouble some were in big debt with poor fishing and now have managed to pull themselves round that is why most of the local fleet here are on oil jobs its more profitable and less hassle and guarenteed money.

I was talking about fishing on a national scale, the oil work is a must for most Whitby boats because of the sparseness of fish on the inshore grounds and the days at sea they are allowed to work.

I was talking about fishing on a national scale, the oil work is a must for most Whitby boats because of the sparseness of fish on the inshore grounds and the days at sea they are allowed to work.

Its not only whitby boats that are on oil jobs scottish boats also do this type of work and boats from hartlepool are at this present time are also doing this type of work.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
Its not only whitby boats that are on oil jobs scottish boats also do this type of work and boats from hartlepool are at this present time are also doing this type of work.

That’s correct there seams to be more demand than there are boats.

I believe that John (breannan) made some inquiries for work for us in winter, but apparently it is a bit of a closed shop in regards to it only seams to be commercial fishing boats they are using.

Still it good for them and may it long continue. It takes the pressure of the fishing and gives them the days at sea that they require to make a reasonable living..

One day we might look back and say remember the days when fishing boats went fishing?

carl

Thanks for that fascinating information.

What a nostalgic trip to see all them boat names.

My first round of taking anglers finished in 74.

We did have a deca in the boat, but we did not have a radio.

You keep believing Carl. You had some good fishing last year and I hope you will have some good next.

ICES (who are paid good money for there advice,) have been stating for years that the Danes have a great sustainable sand ell fishery to exploit. they gave them there estimated recoverable quota and took the Danish money.

Three months later the Danes had to shut down the fishery because ICES had got it completely wrong. I wonder if they gave a rebate for there gross incompetence?

So don’t you believe everything you read Carl?

Let’s think positive Carl. If you have had a good year what else can you do?

Take care mate.

Regards.

It's very rare i believe any kind of facts that are stated these days Challenge,

for example....cast your minds back to when the trade towers were hit and Mr Bush said he would have Bin laden brought to justice , and we are still waiting for that to happen 5 years on , with the super powers and intellegence / resourses available to us / america we still can't locate him !! Ha

The same could be said of this situation , are we being given the whole picture ( i seriously doubt it ), but as i have said many many many times i won't be bothered by it (and shouting and moaning and debating it on here won't change a thing)

WHATEVER HAPPENS WILL HAPPEN , it may be a good outcome , it may be a bad outcome , but until they (the powers that be) get their heads screwed on and AGREE on something i'm going to get as much fishing in as possible (the same as i always have done)

I know the fish aren't worried about it cos they're still biting!

Why over-complicate a very simple answer? :wallbash:

P.S. the boat dosen't need a new filleting machine , it's already got one mate!!!!!! :):clap:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• 2 weeks later...

A very good friend of mine (Lol Senior) on a trip with Stu Johnsons SEA TREK

Pic223.jpg

And Reg Lunn on Chieftain (another good mate..)

REGLUNN.jpg

And a weird one while out at sea

strangesightsatsea.jpg

And one more of the lads on the Chieftain

waybackin.jpg