call for the end of cod fishing

slackline

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm ... the scientists have been telling them zero catch for five years, I wonder what the chances are they'll listen this time?

Seems strange we have just received rise in quota, mayby thats just a sweetener before they bang up the lobster size.

Nothing will be achieved until they address the real problem, and that is the net! you can **** around with mls square panels etc, but we all know it makes not much difference in the end, the only way is to find a complete alternative to it like cages for example (the fishermen use them to good effect in the barents sea and they have no cod shortage problem there) if nothing is found to replace netting then surely they should limit the amount of netting used and its size, imo banning pair trawlers towing those ridiculous huge km wide nets would be a possitive start, subsidise those fishermen or give them financial help to diverse in to some other sector or whatever.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

In this area that makes for a 45%cut in catches How would you like a 45% pay cut :angry:

Probably better than losing a job completely because of failure to ensure the health of the stock.

How long before 87mm lobsters become 90mm lobsters, and plentiful at that size once the mls is increased?

Nothing will be achieved until they address the real problem, and that is the net! you can **** around with mls square panels etc, but we all know it makes not much difference in the end, the only way is to find a complete alternative to it like cages for example (the fishermen use them to good effect in the barents sea and they have no cod shortage problem there) if nothing is found to replace netting then surely they should limit the amount of netting used and its size, imo banning pair trawlers towing those ridiculous huge km wide nets would be a possitive start, subsidise those fishermen or give them financial help to diverse in to some other sector or whatever.

Interesting Move by the Cornish SFC

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...ple_Trawls.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust