call for the end of cod fishing

slackline

Dont know your area stavey but i can assure you that whitby has virtually no netting boats. the only one i can bring to mind is dominator and of course darlik(darlick) with his 16ft longline and 500 meters of gear. PS dominator only fishes nets for about 3 or 4 months of the year

Hi slackline

We have about 300+ ten metre boats like darlick's here squashed in to an area of about 80 mile by 6 all shooting there gills/trammels etc, then there is the local beamers/trawlers that often pair up mixed in between, and then you can add the belgiums and french with their historical rights doing likewise up to the 6 mile limit (but not sticking to that after dark) and you get some idea of the netting that is employed, the bass dont just overwinter in the southwest approaches, its well known and imho that winter bass fishery off sussex has been over fished for a few years now and they have done the same to the bream at certain times of the year, it is probably why it has gotten and still gets so much attention from the commercials...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Hi slackline

We have about 300+ ten metre boats like darlick's here squashed in to an area of about 80 mile by 6 all shooting there gills/trammels etc, then there is the local beamers/trawlers that often pair up mixed in between, and then you can add the belgiums and french with their historical rights doing likewise up to the 6 mile limit (but not sticking to that after dark) and you get some idea of the netting that is employed, the bass dont just overwinter in the southwest approaches, its well known and imho that winter bass fishery off sussex has been over fished for a few years now and they have done the same to the bream at certain times of the year, it is probably why it has gotten and still gets so much attention from the commercials...........

That’s a big area stavey.

Probably better than losing a job completely because of failure to ensure the health of the stock.

How long before 87mm lobsters become 90mm lobsters, and plentiful at that size once the mls is increased?

Interesting Move by the Cornish SFC

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...ple_Trawls.html

That I take it would be inside the six mile limit ?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

DEFRA's reasoning is set out in the consultation documents at:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/lobster/index.htm

Anyone who wants to provide information to DEFRA can respond to the Consultion by 17th Novemeber.

Comments received will be taken into account when DEFRA makes its final decision, which as we have seen with the bass mls increase, is not a foregone conclusion.

Did you read the bit that excludes foriegn boats from this piece of legislation Very much in line with the bass MLS

I like the bit about ' throwing back Cod caught accidently'. yeah, I bet they do. Well, their chickens have come home to roost.

Wurzel? Any comments, like.....there are tons of Cod, and it's all rubbish.

We as anglers have been saying for years that something is very wrong with fish stocks. Commercials have been saying it's ok, there are loads of fish.

Who was right in the end? Sadly.

Hello Mike

There are tons of cod (in some areas) and its all rubbish.

There is nothing much wrong with fish stocks, and there are loads of fish.

It's all "State of Fear" tactics by politicians, civil servants, scientists and a hole host of other agencies and environmental groups who's jobs rely on the need to manage, most have the knack of being seen to do something with out actually doing any thing down to a fine art, plenty of consultations and meetings, 99% of it is total crap and unnecessary.

Mike you must be fishing in the wrong places.

Hello Stavey

The fish stocks must be very healthy in your area., if you have 300+ under ten meter boats working (which I doubt)

Hello Leon

The Cornish SFC decision to look into banning twin or triple rig trawling is just sour grapes by the ones who can't be bothered to change them selves or aren’t prepared to invest the money to change.

The trawlers have been using multiple rigs for Dover sole in this area for years, hasn't harmed stocks as I've noticed, ask Paul Gillson what he would think of a ban next time you see him.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Stavey

The fish stocks must be very healthy in your area., if you have 300+ under ten meter boats working (which I doubt)

Hi wurzel

according to defra's stats and the ssfc there is in actual fact more than my guesstimate, if they are not fishing then why bother making yourself known as one?

There is plenty of fishing going on but nobody is catching much at all wurzel ie. my local seaside towns dozen or so netters have only landed £350.000 worth of fish (all species) total so far this year jan-august according to the marine agency! thats a lot less than one of the towns fishing tackle shops turnover! or my brothers plumming business for that matter, i dont get it do you wurzel?????????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hello Stavey

You can't take any notice of any list of boats that either defra or the sfc's come up with, the one for this area is just a joke, it has no resemblance what so ever to the boats that are actually fishing.

There is plenty of fishing going on but nobody is catching much at all wurzel i.e. my local seaside towns dozen or so netters have only landed £350.000 worth of fish (all species) total so far this year Jan-august according to the marine agency!

What that means is that 3 perhaps 4 boats probably earn a reasonable living, the rest are odd bods and hobby fishermen that do and catch very little.

Hello Mike

There are tons of cod (in some areas) and its all rubbish.

There is nothing much wrong with fish stocks, and there are loads of fish.

It's all "State of Fear" tactics by politicians, civil servants, scientists and a hole host of other agencies and environmental groups who's jobs rely on the need to manage, most have the knack of being seen to do something with out actually doing any thing down to a fine art, plenty of consultations and meetings, 99% of it is total crap and unnecessary.

Gawd elp us Wurzel, your beginning to sound like Challenged.

99% of everyone who works, lives, manages, researches and uses the sea and its resources is wrong and the fishermen are right. Get rid of all the regulations, let us catch what we can and want and we'll make sure the seas remain full of fish.

Yes I know you are out there everyday, but its objective evaluation that is needed not subjective anecdotal evidence (which has its value to a point) but not as the overiding metric to define resource status.

Cheers

Doc.

Gawd elp us Wurzel, your beginning to sound like Challenged.

99% of everyone who works, lives, manages, researches and uses the sea and its resources is wrong and the fishermen are right. Get rid of all the regulations, let us catch what we can and want and we'll make sure the seas remain full of fish.

Yes I know you are out there everyday, but its objective evaluation that is needed not subjective anecdotal evidence (which has its value to a point) but not as the overiding metric to define resource status.

Cheers

Doc.

Hello Doc

Yes I know, but in the mean time I and others like me carry on earning a living like we always have done, good years bad years, some years there are more of one species another year it's another, we see and live with the variations in weather and different stocks all the time, mostly they are trying to manage the unmanageable, Ok perhaps only 1% of worth while stuff is a bit mean, but no more than 10% is worth the paper it's written on.

Other than mesh and mls sizes for some fish, what other regulation in place have made any difference?