call for the end of cod fishing

slackline

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And your still not allowed to catch as much as an angling boat :wallbash::fishing:

We cannot catch what we are aloud to catch anyway slackline as you know yourself i could go out there and put every mesh of net that i have in and go back next day and all we would get is a box of cod heads and a load of knackerd nets because mr seal would have been there all night mayby mr seal will save the cod, now theres a thought, i know its different for the trawlers and there is a problem with by catch,who do we believe.

We cannot catch what we are aloud to catch anyway slackline as you know yourself i could go out there and put every mesh of net that i have in and go back next day and all we would get is a box of cod heads and a load of knackerd nets because mr seal would have been there all night mayby mr seal will save the cod, now theres a thought, i know its different for the trawlers and there is a problem with by catch,who do we believe.

Hi darlick

So why is my area chock a block with the dreaded mono? or dont you think that the amount of netting fishermen use as nothing to do with the decline of fish stocks?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Probably better than losing a job completely because of failure to ensure the health of the stock.

How long before 87mm lobsters become 90mm lobsters, and plentiful at that size once the mls is increased?

Interesting Move by the Cornish SFC

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...ple_Trawls.html

It must be nice to be in a position where you dont have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed :angry:

i went to a consultation meeting with NESFC and DEFRA 2 weeks ago and they cannot say which measures they have put in place have had what effect, 85mm to 87 in 2000 and thousands of berried hen lobsters "V" notched and returned to the sea. They also state the fisherie is in a healthy state with more juvenile lobsters on the grounds than ever recorded

Hi darlick

So why is my area chock a block with the dreaded mono? or dont you think that the amount of netting fishermen use as nothing to do with the decline of fish stocks?

Whats your area stavey because we have a hell of a problem with seals.and you say that you can cast out as far as the nets are you sure they are nets because you would not cast as far as our nets in the ten metre zone.

Hi darlick

Dont know your area stavey but i can assure you that whitby has virtually no netting boats. the only one i can bring to mind is dominator and of course darlik(darlick) with his 16ft longline and 500 meters of gear. PS dominator only fishes nets for about 3 or 4 months of the year

Edited by slackline

It must be nice to be in a position where you dont have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed :angry:

Hmmm!

I've been in that position a couple of times, staring down the barrel of redundancy, not knowing how I was going to manage, sitting at my desk waiting for the phone call from the boss's office as my colleagues were called in one by one, and leaving by the back entrance.

Now retired, I'm still feeling pretty gutted knowing that the place I worked for previously is being closed down, with the loss of 270 jobs.

Many of those still good friends of mine and even some still good fishing mates (going out with 2 on Monday).

I'm afraid my shoulder is too full at the moment to accept anyone else crying on it.

Fishermen's jobs ultimately depend upon ensuring the health and rosbustness of the stocks, not converting every fish/lobster possible into cash.

That, and like all industries, as technology increases efficiency, less plant (boats) and less personal are needed to maintain production.

(It's interesting that whereas the number of UK fishermen declined by 8% last year, the amount of fish landed increased by 14%)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I like the bit about ' throwing back Cod caught accidently'. yeah, I bet they do. Well, their chickens have come home to roost.

Wurzel? Any comments, like.....there are tons of Cod, and it's all rubbish.

We as anglers have been saying for years that something is very wrong with fish stocks. Commercials have been saying it's ok, there are loads of fish.

Who was right in the end? Sadly.

Edited by maidstonemike

Hmmm!

I've been in that position a couple of times, staring down the barrel of redundancy, not knowing how I was going to manage, sitting at my desk waiting for the phone call from the boss's office as my colleagues were called in one by one, and leaving by the back entrance.

Now retired, I'm still feeling pretty gutted knowing that the place I worked for previously is being closed down, with the loss of 270 jobs.

Many of those still good friends of mine and even some still good fishing mates (going out with 2 on Monday).

I'm afraid my shoulder is too full at the moment to accept anyone else crying on it.

Fishermen's jobs ultimately depend upon ensuring the health and rosbustness of the stocks, not converting every fish/lobster possible into cash.

That, and like all industries, as technology increases efficiency, less plant (boats) and less personal are needed to maintain production.

(It's interesting that whereas the number of UK fishermen declined by 8% last year, the amount of fish landed increased by 14%)

what i am getting at Leon is DEFRA dont seem to be able to quantify the benefit of the measures so far other than to say stocks are healthy ??????? so why change the size

what i am getting at Leon is DEFRA dont seem to be able to quantify the benefit of the measures so far other than to say stocks are healthy ??????? so why change the size

DEFRA's reasoning is set out in the consultation documents at:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/lobster/index.htm

Anyone who wants to provide information to DEFRA can respond to the Consultion by 17th Novemeber.

Comments received will be taken into account when DEFRA makes its final decision, which as we have seen with the bass mls increase, is not a foregone conclusion.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust