call for the end of cod fishing

slackline

Hello Stavey

You can't take any notice of any list of boats that either defra or the sfc's come up with, the one for this area is just a joke, it has no resemblance what so ever to the boats that are actually fishing.

There is plenty of fishing going on but nobody is catching much at all wurzel i.e. my local seaside towns dozen or so netters have only landed £350.000 worth of fish (all species) total so far this year Jan-august according to the marine agency!

What that means is that 3 perhaps 4 boats probably earn a reasonable living, the rest are odd bods and hobby fishermen that do and catch very little.

wurzel

How I wish you was right, you know as well as i that these figures dont take count of the blackfish which is why no cod or whatever recovery plan will work, unless its a total one and it is properly enforced, and that aint gonna happen, oh well i have been talked in to drowning some lug at the weekend mercy sakes! (got to be careful or i will be accused of sounding like newt :( ) by my healing nephew just out of hospital and is getting bored recouping at home so wish me luck :lol: you never know if miracles of miracles i actually catch something i might even post a report on here, whats happening to me i am starting to get worried :( cheers..........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with fish stocks. All those of us (from all coasts) who seem to remember days when they could go fishing off their local beach in winter and EXPECT to catch decent sized cod are just deluded. We never actually caught them, they never existed. And even if they did exist, the fact that we can't catch any now is no indication that there are less fish about, they've just got too smart to catch or something.

There's nothing wrong with fish stocks. All those of us (from all coasts) who seem to remember days when they could go fishing off their local beach in winter and EXPECT to catch decent sized cod are just deluded. We never actually caught them, they never existed. And even if they did exist, the fact that we can't catch any now is no indication that there are less fish about, they've just got too smart to catch or something.

Jezzzzzzzzz, I've heard it all now.

Maybe their hiding and planning to take over the world eh Colin :rolleyes:

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Irony is a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem. Dramatic irony lies in the audience's deeper perceptions of a coming fate, which contrast with a character's lack of knowledge about said fate. A common metaphor for using irony is to "have your tongue in cheek".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

A contrast or an incongruity between what is stated and what is really meant, or between what is expected to happen and what actually does happen. Two kinds of irony are: 1) verbal irony, in which a writer or speaker says one thing and means something entirely different; and 2) dramatic irony in which a reader or audience member perceives something that a character in the story does not

library.thinkquest.org/23846/library/terms/

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Tell you what Colin, we actually used to catch Cod on CALM SUNNY DAYS on Dungeness beach. Didn't have to go at night in the teeth of a South West storm like some do now. I mean 20ld Cod would regularly come out in the sunshine! I clearly remember seeing photos in the angling press all the time, of Cod lying on the shingle in the sun.

If fact, Leslie Moncrief ( can't spell his name) advocated fishing in these conditions, and use to demonstrate how to catch Cod on CALM SUNNY DAYS!

If you went down to Dungeness today on a sunny day for Cod, they would think you were mad.

So what happened? Did I dream it all?

Edited by maidstonemike

Hello Leon

So how do you explain? having a very poor year followed by a couple of very good years followed by a very poor year followed by a couple of reasonable years then another good year, followed this year as a poor year, which sums up our sole fishing over the last few years, plus the science says that last year was a very good brood year, so we know that we will, if left alone to do so, have some good years in the near future, regulations have made no difference what so ever, less beam trawlers, less boats fishing inshore, it makes no difference.

I was told by an old Belgium skipper that after the winter of 62-3 they caught nothing but rotting skeletons of Dover sole, they had to steam around to the west coast before they found live soles, if they can recover from that, they can recover from any thing, I suspect cod one day will do the same, but not until the sea temperature drops a couple of degrees.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Tell you what Colin, we actually used to catch Cod on CALM SUNNY DAYS on Dungeness beach. Didn't have to go at night in the teeth of a South West storm like some do now. I mean 20ld Cod would regularly come out in the sunshine! I clearly remember seeing photos in the angling press all the time, of Cod lying on the shingle in the sun.

If fact, Leslie Moncrief ( can't spell his name) advocated fishing in these conditions, and use to demonstrate how to catch Cod on CALM SUNNY DAYS!

If you went down to Dungeness today on a sunny day for Cod, they would think you were mad.

So what happened? Did I dream it all?

But Mike that was not normal, now is normal.

I fish to live and live to fish.