The art of saying a lot whilst really saying nothing

glennk

Just out of interest i wonder what the canadians and iceland do when herring spawn in there waters do they allow this slaughter to happen small dabs being the main cause blocking the cod end or do the local fisheren think i am killing my own future and move away from the massive bulk hauls with so many discards will have to have look at this maybe john might be able to shed some light on this as he was in canada for a few years.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Doc

That will be bass discards like that soon when OUR PARLIMENT in europe bring in a TAC for them soon

Regards Steve

Hello Steve

You'll be fitting an 120mm square mesh escape panel then.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Steve

You'll be fitting an 120mm square mesh escape panel then.

Hi Peter

No I will not do that would miss catching the soles be better to shovel back loads of dead bass than lose earning from soles still it would be less bass for the french

regards steve

Hi Peter

No I will not do that would miss catching the soles be better to shovel back loads of dead bass than lose earning from soles still it would be less bass for the french

regards steve

Hello Steve

The local sole trawlers around here have 120 mm sqare mesh panels fitted, they don't miss any soles.

Are you not limited to a very small by catch with out one?

Am not sure but I would imagine that it would be a dam site less than it would to run the north east guardian for the same time.

If you where to pay 6 boats sixty grand each to stay in harbour (without loosing days at sea) for six weeks

About £400000. It sounds a lot but no body but the fish would get rich.

Maybe defra just think it is an insufficient fishery that is not going to make much difference anyway.

Go and talk to Dave winspeare (alliance fish) he is a reasonable lad. get his opinion once you have got that (and I know personally that he would be in favour of a closure) get in touch with dfra again and get in touch with the gazette at the same time telling them of cooperation between local anglers and local commercial fishermen in cooperation to help local cod stocks.

Then get in touch with our local MP just in case defra decide knot to reply.

You have made the first steps by getting in touch with them and they replied. Much more than many commercials get.

Keep campaigning on everybody’s behalf; at least you would keep the subject in the public eye.

A public that the government know are very conversationalist in there voting opinions now days.

On the subject of subsidies The EU boffins have just revealed that our new member states have over claimed subsidy for live stock payment that is over 50% more than the stock they have. Very ismilar to the greek and italian olive trees from some years ago. Perhaps some of this fraudulently obtained cash can be recovered and pay for tie up time for fishing boats :lol::lol:

Guest challenge
On the subject of subsidies The EU boffins have just revealed that our new member states have over claimed subsidy for live stock payment that is over 50% more than the stock they have. Very ismilar to the greek and italian olive trees from some years ago. Perhaps some of this fraudulently obtained cash can be recovered and pay for tie up time for fishing boats :lol::lol:

That’s another well thought out plan of attack slackline. :blink: You will have to see what your better half has to say when he gets back from Ireland. Of course he will not be able to say much till he sobers up. :headhurt:

It took you and darlick months to get yourselves sorted with DEFRA so you could get to sea. Now all you are trying to do is capitalise on some slight European miscalculation so you can get paid even more for doing even less. :D

Regards.

Hello Steve

The local sole trawlers around here have 120 mm sqare mesh panels fitted, they don't miss any soles.

Are you not limited to a very small by catch with out one?

Hi Peter

How does that then, no onee down heree uses it.

regards steve

Hi Peter

How does that then, no onee down heree uses it.

regards steve

Hello Steve

checked with the fisheries agency.

It seems that it is only for the North sea cod recovery plan, and it is a 90 mm not 120 mm square mesh panel with a certain amount of 140 mm diamond mesh joining it to the head rope, some say it works some don't, but they don't lose any soles.

I saw a presentation of some work they have done with the prawn fishery last week, they were using 120 mm square mesh panels and by adjusting the position of the panel they virtually eliminated any discards in fact I think he said they caught no fish under about 40 cm with out loosing any prawns, so it can be achieved, but with the MLS of cod haddock and whiting a lot smaller than 40 cm some fishermen are not so keen.

Hello Steve

checked with the fisheries agency.

It seems that it is only for the North sea cod recovery plan, and it is a 90 mm not 120 mm square mesh panel with a certain amount of 140 mm diamond mesh joining it to the head rope, some say it works some don't, but they don't lose any soles.

I saw a presentation of some work they have done with the prawn fishery last week, they were using 120 mm square mesh panels and by adjusting the position of the panel they virtually eliminated any discards in fact I think he said they caught no fish under about 40 cm with out loosing any prawns, so it can be achieved, but with the MLS of cod haddock and whiting a lot smaller than 40 cm some fishermen are not so keen.

Hi Peter

Thanks for that sounds interesting

Shame there is not a commercial fishermens website like this one, it would be interesting talking with fishermen all around the country

regards steve