Fixed Spool or Multiplier?

Ed Matysiak

I will be buying a new shore outfit soon for beach and jetty fishing. Shall i get it with a fixed spool reel or a multiplier. I know i won't be able to use lures or light rigs like float tackle on a multiplier but i can use my old fixed spool for that. Is there many casting advantages when using a multiplier? I have used a few off a boat but i have never used a multiplier to cast. I know it will take some practice to get it right but im a fast learner. I learnt to fly cast last year .

[ 12. February 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Ed Matysiak ]

IMHO a fixed spool is best to start with, gives you more flexibility for light lure and float fishing as well. If you start lobbing out big weights and hauling back great clumps of weed the fixed spool might not stand up to the strain as well as a multiplier though. Get both!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

i've been a fixed spool user all my life, but i bought a multi for lure fishing a while ago and i love it, no real advantage other than it seems to feel more natural, i cant cast further, but do seem more in contact with a fish. so i would say give one a go definately

Why change? Use what you know and are comfortable with. I've been using multipliers since I was a kid for my general shorefishing. I do use a fixed spool for spinning/lure fishing and float fishing.

I simply cannot get on with a fixed spool for casting from the shore and I know plenty others who cannot get on with a multiplier.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I started off with a fixed spool, then progressed on to use a multiplier but after a few years I reverted back to the fixed spool.

Alot of venues I fish are tight for space and in situations like these the fixed spool is better suited that the multiplier. Some see the multiplier as an instant route to casting great distances (thanks to the angling media} but this simply isn't true. That takes a great many hours practice. Don't get too caught up in thinking that casting is the be all and end all, actual "fishing ability" is much more important. After all casters aren't exactly noted for their great fishing abilities.

Just remember you don't have to be able to cast 150 yards with bait to be a great angler.

[ 12. February 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: saint_1877 ]

Very much a matter of personal preference as several others have said. However, no way to know which you prefer until you try both.

I went from fixed to multiplier and have stayed at that except for fishing with very light rigs where a multiplier just isn't very good.

For shore fishing, I can happily use either (but usually a multiplier). For lure sessions from a boat, no comparison and multiplier every time unless I am using U/L for some reason.

Saint - interesting observation about tight spaces. I much prefer a multiplier in those situations. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i'm with newt, in tight spaces the multi is best everytime for me, the only time i dont use one now is using light mepps etc, i dont know if its me or the reel but i cant get to grips with casting light spinners with them......