Stupid question!

lancslass

In answer to your question ME, Ive only been fishing a couple of months and the only carp I have caught was a 6" mirror carp. He was a beauty though, I've been reading up on feeder/ ledgering fishing so I will be giving that a try, I'm hoping I will get somethig bigger then...

Tight Lines

Jean

Jean, fish feed all winter. But on stillwaters and near-stillwaters (ie most canals) the shoals clump up very tightly and, during some weather conditions, don't feed very ehavily. They are cold-blooded creatures and, as their metabolism slows down, they don't feed so much.

Do you have access to a river containing chub? If you do, let me know, and I'll give you some simple advice on how to catch some decent fish that will confirm that winter is one of the best periods of the fishing year.

But, please, don't fish that stillwater...

Fenboy

Fish can be caught in the winter but it can be a very hard game to play.

Stillwaters can be a nightmare but the fish are there and do need to eat or they will die.

Trouble is they dont eat much!!!!!!!

I use hooklenghts down to 1lb with size 24 hooks and a single pinkie as bait. Feed can be as little as 4 or 5 pinkies an hour!!!!!!!

Some days you can bag up on stillwaters in winter but rarely.

The best bet in the winter is a decent river with a good head of silver fish.

I have fished at Beccles on the Waveney in Suffolk twice this winter, last time I had 20lb of fish (15lb were roach)on the feeder and waggler.

The great thing about winter fishing is that you appreciate every fish you catch.

BUT you curse every bite (which may be the only one of the day) you miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Quote from fenboy:

Do you have access to a river containing chub? If you do, let me know, and I'll give you some simple advice on how to catch some decent fish that will confirm that winter is one of the best periods of the fishing year.

Fenboy, I'd be interested to hear your advice (or anyone's, really), on river fishing for chub. Having only ever fished stillwaters, I'm keen to try something different.

Thanks.........Terry

Terry

Hi fenboy, there isnt any rivers where i live :( I wish there were. But I did go to the local "Beauty spot" yesterday with my 11 year old son (Half term) There is a small carp pond there and I caught a roach!... I was chuffed with that, and it was so good to get the rod tip wet again :D I fished light with a size 20 hook and caught it on a red maggot...I felt great after! thanks everyone for you replies

Tight lines

Jean

That's great to have caught something from a stillwater when the conditions were against you.

Regarding chub, if the river is clear, fish late afternoon into dark in feature swim with mashed bread as groundbait, flake or crust legered on the hook. If it's coloured and coming down, you can do the same in the middle of the day. Easiest fishing I know.

Fenboy