bag Limits Might be Closer Than You Think!

Bag limits have long been a feature of Recreational Fishery Management Regimes, in America, Australia, New Zealand and many other arease of the world.

The important thing to remember is that in all cases these are part of a much larger package of measures that benefit the Recreational Fishery, not simply to deny anglers access to fish so that commercial fishermen can catch more, or to protect the market price that commercial fishermen can attain for their catch, which seems to be the driver for similar proposals around the UK.

The problem is that UK fisheries managers, who have never before considered that they are sitting on a national resource of great value, and potential for development ( the UK Recreational Fishery) read papers originating from overseas, make trips to study fishery management in other countries, and come back with their heads full of ideas, but still with the UK fisheries cultural mindset that fisheries management is all about making sure that the catching sector has plenty of fish to catch and a good market to sell it into.

They just don't get it!!

If i read this correctly leon you would have it that the only way people could eat fish is to go and catch it them selves Does this mean if you cannot catch what you want you cannot have it :(

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said if bag limits go with commercial restrictions and it improves the stocks, that has to be a good thing. But theyve Got to stop the pair trawling first.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

What another joke! Bag limits. Most of us are fishless a lot of the time, it would be nice to catch something to put in the flippin bag. :lol:

The tiny anount anglers catch makes no difference, it's the commercials that they need to police properly.

Edited by maidstonemike

Bag limits? I for one will totally ignore any attempt to impose bag limits or a sea rod licence.

I spent 30 years buying a freshwater rod licence so that the powers that be (northumbrian water authority, NRA, EA) could stock salmon in various rivers around the country to prove how clean they were. What did they do for me? Nothing.

Bag limits? Is somebody having a laugh? I caught 50 codling last winter big enough to keep(not the stupidly small size limit) and up to 6lb+. I kept somewhere in the region of 35. The rest went back. The most bass I've ever had in a session was nine. I kept three 3lbers.

I fish a lot, at least every week, and sometimes two or three times a week. I catch nothing worthwhile on most of my trips. If I'm fortunate enough to catch half a dozen codling one night, and the freezer's empty, I'll take the lot. If I've a few fillets in there, they might go back. The point is, I will be the one that decides.

And who would be able to stop me being the one that decides? Could you imagine being asked to show your licence at four o clock in the morning on a deserted beach. In 30 years of coarse/match fishing, I could count the number of times I've been asked to show my rod licence on the fingers of one hand...

What another joke! Bag limits. Most of us are fishless a lot of the time, it would be nice to catch something to put in the flippin bag. :lol:

The tiny anount anglers catch makes no difference, it's the commercials that they need to police properly.

Hello Mike

The commercials have been policed in to oblivion, the tiny amount I catch makes no difference compared to a 600 hp beam trawler, it's about jobs not conservation.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I'm with you on the fishless front, get this, I won a runners up prize in Decembers TSF for catch and release....the prize. A fish bag :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

As allready stated the only way that I would except any restrictions on my angling activities is if the commercial fishermen were to be restricted. The golden mile would be a fine example of a restriction one commercial activity that would have me agreeing to except bag limits.

Anouther important subject that deserves sensible responses.

I bet your happy with things at the moment aren’t you Leon. “Progressing nicely”.

I know you stance on bag limits and rod licences and what you think they could achieve.

I suspect that the same desire for power and a corrupt conflict of interest is present with most of the angling reps that come on here.

Unfortunately for anglers (regardless of what you say) will gain nothing and your own delusions will be your downfall. :)

I think you've just about summed it up with that one, Challenge.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Since when has the biggest threat to bass been unlicenced commercial fishermen, ie, rod and line fishermen and hobby netters? Yes, they are a problem, but they aren't the biggest threat. Surely the biggest threat to bass has to be the pair trawler fishery hammering the breeding stock?

Nice bit of spin by the commercial sector blaming hobby fishermen, and RSA has come up for it by agreeing with them!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Bag limits don't bother me. In the USA I think a bag limit normally equates to about ten pounds in weight. That would seem to be plenty for someone who is filling his own freezer and not lining his pocket. The rod licence on the other hand is a complete non-starter, until we actually see the start of some positive action on our behalf. That doesn't mean "improving the facilities" as DEFRA talked about, it means improving the stocks. I don't need toilets, I need fish!