Redmire Pool Trip

Mark Quinney

Well this time next Friday I will have been sat on Redmire for a few hours, I know its November and the chances of catching are very slim, but I am really looking forward to it, its the only weekend I could get on.........fingers crossed.

I am thinking of fishing as natural as I can, big worms and bunches of maggots???

I will try to get some really nice pictures of the place and post them here.

I suppose it would be rude not to fall in !!!

Never fished there but would love to one day.

The impression I get is that the fish have seen everything under the sun so you'd be much better watching and trying to find them feeding. Just try and be different (not easy!). Perhaps ignore the more obvious looking places? I don't think the Monsters are there but there must be 20s and possibly 30s still?

If I was going I would take polaroids, binocs and spend a lot if time up a tree just watching... and dreaming... But knowing my luck it would be chucking it down the whole time!

Just soak up the atmosphere and think of all the legends that have fished there. Good luck.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I went a couple of years ago, although we had a summer weekend, there were a lot of smaller fish in there, we had great fun with a float road and sweetcorn - the group I was with probably took 40-50 fish over the weekend, although the biggest was only 6-7lb!

Our photos from the trip are at http://www.thehillmans.co.uk/gallery/album26

Mat

Mat

I dont want to put a downer on it but after having been ripped off in 86 for a week in the summer I never got I thought I would take advantage of an offer for a winter "half syndicate" ticket a few years later.I was bitterly disapointed.The place bore very little resemblance to any of the famous pictures I had seen.Not only was this down to landscaping and tree felling but also because this was Winter and the Redmire of my "dreams" was always a "summer Redmire"!!

I hope you have a better experience than me Mark and will be interested to hear what you thought.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I dont want to put a downer on it but after having been ripped off in 86 for a week in the summer I never got I thought I would take advantage of an offer for a winter "half syndicate" ticket a few years later.I was bitterly disapointed.The place bore very little resemblance to any of the famous pictures I had seen.Not only was this down to landscaping and tree felling but also because this was Winter and the Redmire of my "dreams" was always a "summer Redmire"!!

I hope you have a better experience than me Mark and will be interested to hear what you thought.

You stirred a bad memory for me there Budgie! Myself & three friends were also among the £100 rip offs :angry:

We were so up for the trip as well, right in the grip of Carp fever :)

I noticed he was attempting a rehabilitation back into the angling world some years ago. Didn't hear much more about it but I can't say I'm sorry if it failed, £400 was a lot of money then & we were really disappointed.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I was still in the Army at the time.It was a lot of money for me as well but there just isnt words to describe how disapointed I was.Had the week booked off as leave so couldnt change it.So as not to waste the weeks leave I went to a Kent gravel pit instead.But the over all feeling of dissapointment saw me for the first time ever not enjoying my fishing so I packed up early and went back to camp!

I was still in the Army at the time.It was a lot of money for me as well but there just isnt words to describe how disapointed I was.Had the week booked off as leave so couldnt change it.So as not to waste the weeks leave I went to a Kent gravel pit instead.But the over all feeling of dissapointment saw me for the first time ever not enjoying my fishing so I packed up early and went back to camp!

What happened with this rip off you mentioned Budgie? Give us the story mate!

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

If I remember right it was 1986 (Peter?) a well known carp bait guru had taken over control of the pool and was offering individual weeks fishing for £100 a week.This was quite a lot of money back then and certainly not an amount associated with angling at the time.Lots of people booked up a week and sent their cheques for £100 off only to never recieve confirmation or indeed get their fishing despite the cheques being cashed.The guy in question shortly after slipping out of sight for a few years.When the Carp Society (or was it the CAA? I cant be sure now) took over there was a lot of talk about them honouring these booked weeks if you could prove which ones you had booked and that you had paid.....I know of very few who could or actually got to fish.

Quite historical (carp fishing wise any way!) as it was the first of several Carp Rip Offs! I dont know if there were ever any legal come backs or really even if the guy intentionally ripped us off or just messed up.

Like I said though Carpstar It wasnt so much the dough but more the dissapointment in not being able to fish.Back before this it was nigh on impossible to get on the water unlike now where it is relatively easy.Obviously to anglers of mine and Peters era it was the Mecca of carp fishing.

Edited by BUDGIE

1986 seems about right Budgie. As you rightly say, without any proof of payment we were all well & truly stuffed. I remember the reason he got caught, one of the Carpers he ripped off was a policeman who smelt a rat, & naturally, started to dig into the whole sorry mess, cue the demise of one bait baron!!

Oh, so much more the disappointment than the money Budgie, my image of Redmire was (still is) one of embryonic Carping, uncaught but seen monsters (seen by the top anglers of the day by the way) & tantalizing photos of giant Carp sat in weedbeds, magical stuff.

Perhaps Mr D did me some good in a strange sort of way, I wonder what image I would have nowadays if, like Budgie, I had got to fish it.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.