car insurance

Andy_1984

Occupation plays a huge part in deciding a premium. Its all based on actuary tables . When I used to work for a major ins co. the salesmen used to play around with the occupation to get a lower quote. The most famous one being a professional footballer being put down as a leatherworker. One guy I remember in particular insisted he was an author (very high risk) when asked if he had ever published anything he answered no. when asked how he earned his living whilst waiting to be discovered he answered factory worker. (low risk) problem was he insisted he was an author and ended up paying 1500 as opposed to 250. You cant help some people

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Occupation plays a huge part in deciding a premium. Its all based on actuary tables . When I used to work for a major ins co. the salesmen used to play around with the occupation to get a lower quote. The most famous one being a professional footballer being put down as a leatherworker. One guy I remember in particular insisted he was an author (very high risk) when asked if he had ever published anything he answered no. when asked how he earned his living whilst waiting to be discovered he answered factory worker. (low risk) problem was he insisted he was an author and ended up paying 1500 as opposed to 250. You cant help some people

no freakin way is that down to risk, thats down to how much you earn and how much they can squeeze outa you, i have a few titles in this buiness i guess ill try a few out , estate agent but i program our software, build our website, go on viewings, dabble in the refurbishment/consutrction side, cook (go to subways or greggs) male secitary, you name it i do it :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Two points. If you have a birthday coming up then it is just plain silly to look for a quote until after it has happened, because age is by far the biggest loading factor. Second, are you sure you need 12,000 miles? That is quite a high mileage. To put it in perspective I use a motorbike to commute to work daily and still only do 3000 miles a year on it. The car, which my missus would use to go next door, gets about 4,000.

Unfortunately the other big factor is postcode. There's not much you can do about that unless you get lucky like I did. They rearranged the postal boundaries which meant I apparently moved from Liverpool to Chester and all my insurance fell, even though I was still in the same house!!

Two points. If you have a birthday coming up then it is just plain silly to look for a quote until after it has happened, because age is by far the biggest loading factor. Second, are you sure you need 12,000 miles? That is quite a high mileage. To put it in perspective I use a motorbike to commute to work daily and still only do 3000 miles a year on it. The car, which my missus would use to go next door, gets about 4,000.

Unfortunately the other big factor is postcode. There's not much you can do about that unless you get lucky like I did. They rearranged the postal boundaries which meant I apparently moved from Liverpool to Chester and all my insurance fell, even though I was still in the same house!!

yeah i did think about with my birthday comin up and all but im not sure if it will make much of an impact as everywhere i see its from like 23 year olds get the better quotes, ill be 22 :(

dunno how many miles id be doin but yeah i think ill lower it next quote to about less than half that, i was kinda calculating from here to the highlands like once a week, only wish i could get to highlands once a week

Edited by Andy_1984

no freakin way is that down to risk, thats down to how much you earn and how much they can squeeze outa you, i have a few titles in this buiness i guess ill try a few out , estate agent ........

Tip: do not put Estate Agent down :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Tip: do not put Estate Agent down :D

this is where i work elton, i been putting it down, ive so far tried engineer, teacher, computer programmer. all had 0 effect on the quote :blink:

i cant see why estate agent would be a low risk job, i deal in thousands every day, none of it mines unfortunatly

Edited by Andy_1984

woopdy freaking do, £1,114.00 from admiral, not sure what paid off, the anual milage or that im now 22

Edits:

scrub that, down to £1,055.00 - £87 per/m

all down to milage, i stuck in, upto 3,000

do they check the milage at all ?

ooooer, got £818 from an elephant.co.uk im so happy right now, dare i put my millage at upto 1,000 :clap2:

Edited by Andy_1984

Guest Brumagem Phil

Dont be a plonker........if you are gonna drive 10k and put down 2k and then have an accident at 8k, what do you think they will pay you?????

....and yes, they CAN check your mileage cos all the new MOT's are computerised and your mileage is on it.

Jeeeeeezus!

to be honest i dont think ill be doin that much, just got a bit excited is all, think about 3-4 thousand a year, fishing once a week dropping the nephew off at school in the morning occasionaly.

shouldnt be rackin them up that much hopefuly

Guest Brumagem Phil

4000 miles a year equates to a measly 11 miles a day. If I were you, I'd work out how far a few of your trips actually are and tally them up. You will be VERY surprised at how quickly small journeys rack up big mileages.