Kayak or something else

Newt

Since we seem to have some kayak fans on here, I think maybe I can get some opinions then.

I did a little searching around for the style where you sit on top of the kayak. Truth be told, to me they look a bit awkward and I'm wondering about the advantages over other similar but maybe more comfortable craft.

I'm also sort of wondering about the sanity of anyone who uses these things for ocean fishing.

A sort of traditional hard shell version

Posted Image

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vs. an inflatable one with seats

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or even one that gets you out of the water a little more

Posted Image

[ 28. April 2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well in back my days of kayaking the difference was that a kayak was an enclosed boat with only an opening to get in and out ( and that was covered by a spray deck to prevent water getting in) and that while sitting in the boat that your legs were inside the shell of the boat, which meant by bending and pressing your knees to the inside of the fibreglass this added to the control using you hips.

A canoe was more open for example the Canadian canoe.

i posted a while back on this subject and after plenty of research i ended up putting the money towards a better outboard. having said that our boat is only 15ft long and capable of getting in very close to the manacles where i do most of my fishing. if a had more time i'd like one to use from a "mother ship"

i'd be a bit concerned about windage on the inflatables, they are more for trekking to a lake.

a kayak is paddled while sitting, a canoe is paddled kneeling. thats the way it is in competition anyway.

:D:) Nice pictures Newt !!

There are all manner of craft that you can fish from.

I suppose you have to decide what type of fishing you want to do ,and where.

Be it on a lake,river,or in the sea.

chooseing a Yak to suit your own needs,is the way to go.

Yes you can fish from a Sea kayak,the sit inside type. Its all down to the individuals choice and needs.

I like the open aspect to the sit on top version,

Also some of the sit in Kayaks are a bit expensive.

Yes i suppose you do have to be a bit adventurous to use them, or mad lol.As long as you respect and observe the conditions,also wear your bouyancy aid you will be safe,fishing with a buddy is a good idea.

Anything thats different, or changes ,the so called norm ,often raises a lot of questioning and debate. I like that!!

Hi John E ASHFORD.

I suppose some of the differences are,generaly a Canoe is shorter than a Kayak, they are deffinately slower.A Canoe will handle tight turns etc better than a Yak.,but the yak will track better especially into a wind.

Some touring Yaks have hatches in the front,or back,sometimes both. The hatches are used for storeing camping gear,picnics etc.

Some are fitted with rudders,the rudder helps out in strong and variable wind and sea conditions.In the sit in Kayaks your centre of gravity is lower,which does help with stability,you are also warmer because your butt and bits are inside the Yak.

:)