Is this a sea trout?

Anderoo

All,

Seems to me, based on this discussion, if it is caught in fresh water it is a trout - brackish water questionable - in the sea it is a salmon. Other than for personal edification is there a reason one needs to know?

Phone, rainbow trout or steelhead? Brown trout pull the same trick, a proportion of the population running to sea to feed.

I had a large, very silvery trout from one of the Timsbury fish-ins. It's intriguing.

I think you could probably do the same sort of microchemical analysis with a scale, but with less certainty than an otolith. You might also be able to infer sea feeding from back calculated growth rates.

• Like 1

All,

Ahh-ha - I think Vagabond answered my question. It does matter - there is a separate fishing license.

Phone

Steve,

Carp that feed in the sea grow at a slower rate than freshwater carp. I was told it was because of the lower DO - - - (?)

No not a pb sea trout. Your just trying to make your own rules now Anderoo.

What ever it was, it was out of season and should have gone straight back unweighed in my book.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

No not a pb sea trout. Your just trying to make your own rules now Anderoo.

What ever it was, it was out of season and should have gone straight back unweighed in my book.

I think the PB comment was with tongue firmly in cheek Brian, it was the first sea trout Anderoo has caught. I'm sure it went back none the worse for the experience.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I think the PB comment was with tongue firmly in cheek Brian, it was the first sea trout Anderoo has caught. I'm sure it went back none the worse for the experience.

I'm sure it did, but if I bob down the river next month trout fishing will it be ok to weigh and photo any chub and barbel I catch?

I think if I came back and posted them on here, you lot would have something to say.

Carp that feed in the sea grow at a slower rate than freshwater carp. I was told it was because of the lower DO - - - (?)

Sea water is usually pretty well oxygenated, and carp will thrive at low DO, so I suspect otherwise. Carp are moderately tolerant of salt, but I suspect that in brackish water they are out of their comfort zone and spending a lot of energy keeping their salt/water balance in bounds. Trout are fully adaptable to salt, when they're at sea they're basically sea fish - and stuffing their faces on the rich feeding there!

I'm sure it did, but if I bob down the river next month trout fishing will it be ok to weigh and photo any chub and barbel I catch?

I think if I came back and posted them on here, you lot would have something to say.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Seasons dictate what you're allowed to fish for, mother nature determines what you actually catch.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Seasons dictate what you're allowed to fish for, mother nature determines what you actually catch.

We will have to differ on that one Rusty. I seem to think if you dig deep enough you may even find bylaws that say something along the lines of out of season fish should be returned immediately. Thats not weighing and taking a few pic's for me.

nice little row forming over one fish.

jesuuuusssss, one fish for gawed sake, I would have liked to have tasted it. ha ha ha.

• Like 1

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..