Close season FISHING thread

Kappa

These are two of the last three 2lbers (my phone died for the third):

IMG_2913_zpsvemkytuf.jpg

IMG_2918_zpsut1dkww6.jpg

It still feels very wintery! Really looking forward to some warm weather now...

IMG_2916_zpsgbga0np5.jpg

The bigger perch so far all look pretty old and battered. I had three or four yesterday all between 1.08 and 1.12 and they were bright young things. It may be that the current crop of bigger fish are on their last legs...

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Managed five tench today on the maggot feeder which was great fun, nice to see a bend in the rod again. Might try and nip out early tomorrow as well.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Had an enjoyable afternoon yesterday on a local pool, roach and rudd up to around 12oz, LOADS of bream to around 3lb and a carp of about 5lb.

Also learnt something about the venue, feeding pellet brings skimmers into your swim almost instantly! feeding hook bait samples - I was using corn and meat I got a mix of species, as soon as I put in a handful of pellet it was skimmer-skimmer-skimmer for the next 20 mins!

not using pellet here anymore!

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

My closed season started with a wimper and has now come back with a bang! almost all of my fishing in the last few years has been lure fishing for perch and chub but this year I decided I wanted to try and improve my lure caught like PB to at least a double......... I've smashed this target tonight with with a 25lb 4oz gravel pit pike :-D

2 problems now....... First I need to come up with a new target and secondly I now have to come to terms with probably never catching a pike that big again!

post-11686-0-35808400-1428526375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Errrm
  • Like 4

What a beautiful fish, well done on the PB!

A couple of years ago I had no interest at all in pike [through ignorance] but my appreciation of the species has grown immensely, that’s a stunning example.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Congrats on beating your PB with such a stunning PIke.

Keith (BoldBear)

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Congrats Errm, that's a whopper! Out of interest, what lure and setup were you using?

Christian, nice one, great to hear of tench being caught :)

I think I'm finished with the small pond perch for now, at least with baits. I might have the odd evening there with little soft plastics and see if I can get a decent one on a lure. However, now it's lovely warm, spring weather my attention has turned to trout and fly fishing. My favourite little tributary is in very good shape this spring and fingers crossed it will stay that way. I had a couple of hours there yesterday after work and it was such a joy to be back. It's a bit early in the year for sedge hatches and so nothing was rising for dries, so I fished the upstream nymph (a little gold head shrimp/caddis imitation). On one cast, the end of the fly line jerked forwards as it was floating back towards me, I struck, and this very handsome fellow was hanging on the other end:

IMG_2951_zpsuxwte5zk.jpg

At the other end of the scale from Errm's fish(!) but I was extremely happy to catch such a pretty trout, and especially as it was on the upstream nymph - a method I've always found difficult.

More soon I hope :) Looking forward to mayfly time!

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music