Registration of buyers and sellers of fish

Leon Roskilly

Guest stevie cop

No, I'm not about to suggest that.

I wanted to spark a reaction to see what people really thought. I keep hearing people calling for a ban on this, and a ban on that. I want to know whether they feel that it should apply to them. I suppose it was a bit unfair to refer to big cod, but it was only because he is a well known regular poster on here, he's from Whitby where there are supposed to be plenty of Cod, and he believes that the Cod stocks are in a state.

If an angler fishes once a year, he can't expect to keep his family in fish for a year! He needs to get out more! Instead of giving the wife a portion once a fortnight, he ought to be out there catching fish! ;o)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once a fort night, id like to be able to give my mrs a portion once a month.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest jay_con

Thats the reality of it though Steve. A lot of these guys only come over once or twice a year. A large percentage of the guys who go charter angling are from well inland areas. A lot come from south yorks. They have a good day out and if they catch a few it goes in the freezer and means they dont have to pay four pound a pound down the supermarket. If you have a picture in your mind of guys dragging huge sacks of fish away I think you have it wrong.

Guest stevie cop

Once a month Sam, yours must be one of those nymphomaniacs ;o)

I suppose so @summer@. I just can't fathom that anglers only go once a year. I can only go by my own experience and those of the people I know. To me, fishing is what I like doing, so I do it at every opportunity. It just seems odd that there are people who only partake in their sport once a year. They obviously have a different perspective, and that's probably why they do things differently. It takes all sorts I suppose.

Quote.

I just can't fathom that anglers only go once a year. I can only go by my own experience and those of the people I know. To me, fishing is what I like doing, so I do it at every opportunity. It just seems odd that there are people who only partake in their sport once a year. They obviously have a different perspective, and that's probably why they do things differently. It takes all sorts I suppose.

Most are known as Danglers Stevo.

The ones you see on piers or beaches each year killing everything they catch. They know nothing about rules, size limits etc, the type that leave heaps of rubbish everywhere, the type that the antis use as a weapon to try and get sea angling a bad name and banned.

Do we need them? Maybe that's one good thing in favour of a licence.

Guest jay_con

Wurzel you know as well as I do how long the boat fishing cod season lasts in these parts and it certainly aint 9 months. A lot of the time is spent catching Ling and other species like Haddocks etc

How many charter skippers have 4 days at sea per week outside of may june and july???. The majoriy are laid up in port for most of the winter.

Bad weather days????? Speak to Big cod. He will confirm he never got to sea for more than a couple of days between dec and late april due to the incessant Northerly gales. Did you allow for the big tides which occurr a lot of the time when the fishing slows right up????. Did you allow for the strong westerlies you often get in June which makes the boats drift fast making it difficult to catch fish????.

80 cod = 30 stone. By my calculations (I may be wrong) That is an average of 5 and a quarter pound

for each fish. Where the bloody hell are you fishing???? You book a trip and ill come with you .

Im sure your very aware wurzel that these guys are catching nothing like what you say. You should get a job with one of the commercial fleets many promomtional organisations (The propoganda machine). They need someone with your inventive nature with Stats, formula's and calculations.

[ 01. July 2005, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

Guest jay_con

M.P.

I think they only boat fish a couple of times a year

due to the distances involved, time off work and costs etc. Im sure they will do other types of fishing as well.

[ 01. July 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

Guest jay_con

I think the catch and release and bag limit for fishing is not a bad thing. Looking at the schemes they have in the states the thing aint all that bad. It would probably work well for Bass and I think Leon and the others are well behind that idea. As for cod. You have many other factors which would make it a non starter. Like this alleged incident for example:

http://www.whitbytoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2....ticleID=1028227

Who is gonna put fish back for others to take out illegally.