Registration of buyers and sellers of fish

Leon Roskilly

Guest stevie cop

I don't know about clueless big cod. I know there are a lot of people who might be upset by my comments, but so be it.

I never said that charter boats take anywhere near what a trawler takes. That would be ridiculous. I also know about discards. But when I keep reading how you are going out and taking 70 cod one day, 80 the next and that is when things are bad!, or so you keep saying, it doesn't take long to work out how much you are taking in a year. Wurzel worked it out, and it's double what his quota is! And you are just one boat.

My point is, it doean't matter who is to blame. It's too late for that. It also doesn't matter who takes more than who. The important thing is to recognise that too many fish are being caught and to do something about it. I know you can't do anything about the trawlers, but we all have a responsibility to do what we can. The attitude of , "well he's doing it, so I'm going to", is not good. That will just lead to a race to catch the last Cod.

To be honest, I was playing devils advocate a bit by seeing if @summer@ would take the bait. I could see where he was going with his arguments, and wanted to see how far he would go with it. As I've said, the point I am trying to make is that we should all be responsible for the fish stocks.

In another thread you expressed concern about how the size of the cod has gone down. At what size will you still fish for them? 3lb, 2lb, 1lb? At what size will anglers stop paying you to take them out to catch them?

Of course I don't want to see you stopped from fishing for cod. I don't want to see your booking dry up either. If things continue as they are, you will start to lose bookings. It happened in these parts. Not so long ago there were 17 or 18 charter boats operating out of Bradwell, plus plenty of others from Brightlingsea, Mersea, Southend, etc. Now there are one and a half boats operating out of Bradwell.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say steve there was 17or 18 charter boats working out of bradwell and plent out of the other ports you named ,but now less than half, i wonder why,seals, globel warming ,interest rates well no not interest rates ,the facts are you barking up the rong tree mate you just dont get it a man with a rod in his hand will never do any damage to any fisherie ,there is only certain times anglers catch fish the rest of the times we a scratching our heads,yet the man with a trawler will fish it to death .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Steve Coppolo:

To be honest, I was playing devils advocate a bit by seeing if @summer@ would take the bait.  I could see where he was going with his arguments, and wanted to see how far he would go with it.  As I've said, the point I am trying to make is that we should all be responsible for the fish stocks.  

No need to bait me Steve im one of the most outspoken people here. If you dont know my views by now you never will. I Blame commercial fishermen (and lack of enforcement) for the current situation. If ive said it once ive said it a thousand times.

Guest jay_con

Steve Coppolo:

I never said that charter boats take anywhere near what a trawler takes.  That would be ridiculous.  I also know about discards.  But when I keep reading how you are going out and taking 70 cod one day, 80 the next and that is when things are bad!, or so you keep saying, it doesn't take long to work out how much you are taking in a year.  Wurzel worked it out, and it's double what his quota is!  And you are just one boat.

Which formula did he use to work that out then? 10 men 20 pound each times 365 days per year? Did he allow for the blanks, the northerly gales, days lost due to engine trouble, The very short cod season?. Believe me wurzel yet again is way off the mark

Sorry, i can't see how these new rules will stop the "black fish" buying and selling. Do you honestly think that the new rules will worry the offenders, they are law breakers, greedy bass-turds feeding their pockets, a few new huddles won't bother them.

It's against the law to buy/sell guns, but it still happens.

It's against the law to sell alcohol and fags to the under aged, but it still happens.

It's against the law to bring large quantities of tobacco and booze into the country, but it still happens.

Sorry, but when it comes down to greed and easy money, no laws will prevent the scum from working a fiddle.

Guest stevie cop

I know what is to blame big cod, I'm just saying that anglers won't pay good money to go out and catch little fish, or no fish.

Do you agree, or disagree, that we should all start to take responsibility for the fish stocks? Is asking for a ban on commercial fishing, whilst allowing anglers to take more than they need, being hypocritical?

We all know, and hopefully agree, what needs to be done with regard to commercial fishing, I'm just interested to know whether anglers in general feel that they have their own part to play in conserving fish stocks.

most anglers i feel dont give a toss, a few years ago i saw anglers catching 8 inch bass only to cut them up as bait to catch more 8 inch bass.

working on this most anglers have the im alright jack F you aproach.

Many angler dont even think size limits aply to them taking half pound bass home for the BBQ and cat.

if we get this lisence i think we need policeing as much as any commercial.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest jay_con

Steve Coppolo:

Do you agree, or disagree, that we should all start to take responsibility for the fish stocks?  Is asking for a ban on commercial fishing, whilst allowing anglers to take more than they need, being hypocritical?

More than they need? How do you know how much they need? Some of these guys fish once a year. If they catch ten fish they have had a damn good day. Thats possibly 20 meals for 1 person, 10 if the wife likes a bit . at a portion a fortnight that only lasts???? 20 weeks. So he still has to go down the supermarket and buy some off the sea burglers.

I guess your now gonna call for us to stop eating cod???

no just remember we reap what we sow, so those old days of gread have to be in the past.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!