Registration of buyers and sellers of fish

Leon Roskilly

Its interesting that the Govt are even considering such matters & they recognise there is a problem.

Here in Guernsey, one of our proposals has been to introduce the criminal offence of Buying Unlicensed Fish - putting the emphasis on restaurants and hotels to prove their fish has been bought from licensed fisherman.

We have the support of the commercial fisherman on this - given this announcement, we will now have a stronger case to put to the politicians.

Thanks Leon for keeping us all up to speed once again.

Mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to post again, but just noticed this :

quote:

This was one of many recommendations yesterday from the Government in response to Net Benefits, a report by the Prime Minister's strategy unit published last year.
any news on the other recommendations Leon?

mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

There is no way anyone can get rid of 25kg of fish for personal consumption. You might do it once or twice a year, but your average housewife only wants 1-3kg of fillets as any more gets left in the freezer and forgotten about. The fisherman soon gets peed off with phoning round and getting people to collect his fish, or driving round and giving it away to neighbours. I know, I've done it often enough!! 25Kg is only a boxful, heck we had 3 boxes of pollack in 9 drifts on saturday.

[ 30. June 2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest stevie cop

Bloody hell, there are a few worrying comments in the few posts above!

First of all, many people take the view that the part timers don't do any harm. WRONG! They do plenty of damage, and can de-value local caught fish for legitimate commercial fishermen who rely on it to earn a living.

Second, big cod is worried about the cod stocks in his part of the world. Yet he is still taking parties of anglers out and working his nuts off to find cod for them! When do you think it might be a good time to stop targetting cod? When it's all gone maybe? Or might it be best to stop while there are still a few left that might start a recovery?

Third. Three boxes of Pollack in 9 drifts? That's a joke, right? If it wasn't, how long do you see those pollack lasting for if they continue to be caught by anglers at that rate?

Guest jay_con

Steve Coppolo:

Second, big cod is worried about the cod stocks in his part of the world.  Yet he is still taking parties of anglers out and working his nuts off to find cod for them!  When do you think it might be a good time to stop targetting cod?  When it's all gone maybe?  Or might it be best to stop while there are still a few left that might start a recovery?

Any suggestions on how they are to make a living? Ice cream man perhaps?

Guest stevie cop

Oh, that old chestnut! I can't believe you came up for that one @summer@ LOL. I left a little bit of a worm dangling there and you bit!

Livelihoods! I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard the argument against restricting commercial fishing because it would affect the livelihoods of commercial fishermen! (I'd have at least £400 by now ;o) I never thought I'd ever hear an angler using the same argument! But there you go, you learn something new every day.

So you want to stop commercial fishermen from earning a living, but god forbid if a charter skipper had to stop fishing for cod because it would "affect his livelihood". Go and have a word with yourself @summer@!

I don't want to see anyone stopped from earning a living. That includes commercial fishermen and charter skippers. BUT. When needs must, ie, when the stock of a certain species is at the point of collapse, surely it's time to stop fishing for them? If the thought of a charter skipper losing his livelihood is terrible, (and it is a terrible thought), why would you deem it acceptable for a commercial fisherman to lose his?

The fact is, some people will have to suffer some form of hardship if the Cod stocks are to recover. That's assuming that overfishing has caused the problem. Hopefully, the hardship would be relatively short term. If no one is prepared to suffer a bit now, the hardship will be far worse in the long term. There won't be any Cod left.

[ 30. June 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

Guest sandpipper

Hi all, can i tell you about something that happend to me last week. I was fishing of the pontoons in the hamble river all on my own just a few school bass i dont eat fish and havent got a cat so all my fish go back, anyway thi guy came along the pontoon and asked if id seen this dory land in the last hour or so thinking he was looking for a mate i said no, later i packed up and when walking back to my car i see this guy with three others, anyway it turns out that these guys are Fisheries officers waiting for a boat to come in that was spotted fishing in a bass nursery,it turns out the guys have been tracking the boat for 9 hours and the time then was 3.30am. I say well done chaps for doing your job.Tony

Guest jay_con

"I don't want to see anyone stopped from earning a living. That includes commercial fishermen and charter skippers. BUT. When needs must, ie, when the stock of a certain species is at the point of collapse, surely it's time to stop fishing for them? If the thought of a charter skipper losing his livelihood is terrible, (and it is a terrible thought), why would you deem it acceptable for a commercial fisherman to lose his?"

I differentiate between the 2 as I see the commercial fishermen to have brought about thier own demise by continuing with behaviour like the type I posted links to. Charter skippers??? What have they done? certainly aint broke no laws so why should they suffer?

Steve i am sorry to say this mate, but you seem to be tottally clueless you have no any idea just what anglers take compaired to a trawler ,we are just a needle in a hay stack and will never do any damage there is more indersized codling going back over the side dead in numbers each day than what we catch joe blogs on the shore really doesnt know what goea on out at sea. :( :confused:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg