Piking today.....

oneillbox

I have seen young coots dissapear in a swirl. I have also been shown an old photo of a smallish pike with a young mink's tail visible in the throat, this was found on the banks of the canal, badly bitten.

I would assume diving ducks and animals would appear silvery under the water due to trapped air, ergo like any other lure will attract the attentions of the pike and moving unnaturally will trigger an attack.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wandering along the River Welland (town stretch) in Spalding one day and stopped to watch a young lad of about 6-8 years of age fishing. He had two rods, a match rod and a pike rod. He was catching roach and skimmers on his match rod for his piking. Anyway, while I was watching he hooked into this monster pike and I had to help him land it, unusually I had decent civvies on that day too but the lad needed help. It weighed in at 27lb. The pike was almost as big as him.

Yogi.

jesus, the welland is not that wide there either if i recall, monster fish for the young lad, great stuff.

are you in spalding yogi, i live in sleaford...

jesus, the welland is not that wide there either if i recall, monster fish for the young lad, great stuff.

are you in spalding yogi, i live in sleaford...

Yes mate, am in Spalding. Went past Sleaford on Sun on my way to Newark Tackle Fest.

Yogi.

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

While fishind a backwater of the Bure a mother duck with 10 little ducklings swam past me as a pike of around 8lb swirled and cleanley picked off the last one, about 10 feet from me (the cut is only around 4 mtrs wide.) I thought That was quite a sight but the following year on the Thurne we saw a full grown duck attemting to get away from something that was quite obviously trying to pull it under, The duck succeded and Mrs kayc cast a live bait to the spot which was immediately taken and a nice double was landed: the question is would a 17 lb pike be able to take a fully grown Duck and was it a lucky escape for that one?

I have never seen a pike take any sort of waterfowl but I have seen a big Brownie take a Coot chick at a Trout Fishery.

The chick (as Coots sometimes do), had been abandoned by its parents and had been mauled by other coots on the water, there was suddenly a swirl and a large brown rose and took it much as it would a sedge or a mayfly.

The angler fishing near me commented that he was glad I was there otherwise he would have thought he was dreaming.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ive never seen a pike take a duck, or similar, nor has my uncle or my dad, thats in a total of over 60 years fishing between us all. Im sure that very occasionally pike do take ducks, and anglers would be much more likely to see it happen than anyone else. My old housemate claimed she had seen pike take ducks at least 3 times, while walking along her local canal, she wasnt an angler, but obviously a liar, I think its probably something people are inclined to chuck into the conversation if you talking about pike, just to liven it up, and make themselves sound interesting. people (non anglers) seem to think that the pike is a pre-historic creature with a blood thirsty appetite that makes it kill for fun, which is wrong im sure.

By the way, im not disputing those on here who have seen waterbirds taken by pike, im just mentioning the bilge some people try to pass on as fact.

Sure is Frank! along with waiting for the second run when piking,pike hiding in the reeds/weeds to leap out and ambush there prey,hempseed "drugging"fish, and God knows how many other "acepted angling facts"!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!