Discards

glennk

Guest challenge
Hi, john you are right there isnt many small codling on the quey its a nice run of fish most of thoses small codling what was about during the summer have grown very fast from small into mediums but during the summer there was masses of small codling.

No I didn’t think there would be Paul.

Like I have said before when people talk about discards and there probability they are talking about expectations founded upon partial knowledge. Because you cannot work out probabilities unless everybody is working in the same manner and in the same area.

if the lads who are fishing on this fishery where to be forced to implement some of the restrictions that have been suggested, it would make absolutely no difference to the amount of discards that would be taken.

You cannot make universal suggestions about trawling in general, unless you have knowledge of the precise fishery.

Taking discard rumors out of context are as damaging to all concerned as they are to the discards themselves.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I didn’t think there would be Paul.

Like I have said before when people talk about discards and there probability they are talking about expectations founded upon partial knowledge. Because you cannot work out probabilities unless everybody is working in the same manner and in the same area.

if the lads who are fishing on this fishery where to be forced to implement some of the restrictions that have been suggested, it would make absolutely no difference to the amount of discards that would be taken.

You cannot make universal suggestions about trawling in general, unless you have knowledge of the precise fishery.

Taking discard rumors out of context are as damaging to all concerned as they are to the discards themselves.

John you have lost me on that one.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

GlenK

Well just read back through this thread for a start. Then go to your search option and put in discards.

Suggestions have been made continuously on this forum about discards and the way they (commercials) should work to stop them.

From square mesh nets, to total banning.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said rumors? Maybe I should have said opinions?

People tend to think that because someone is trawling then they will all get large amounts of discards.

I assure you that from my 14 years experience of trawling this is not the case.

Big cod.

OK

Guest challenge
But if there are no discards or very few John and any measures discussed wont make any difference anyway what is there to fear ?

A total ban would not be very advantageous to fishermen (commercial) or would major alterations to there gear.

A further cut in quota to safeguard discards, be it time at sea or amount of allowable catch would also be an unreasonable request on the standing of this fishery.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that there are not (acceptable) amounts of discard being taken with regard to the herring (spawn) fishery. But to use this fishery as an example to all fisheries would be unrealistic and damaging to any further legislation regarding trawling activities.

Each fishery should be closely monitored and addressed on the evidence that is established during this fishery.

Only then can a realistic chance of any sort of worthwhile research and evidence be established and used to benefit all.

To use discard results (from one fishery) as a bench mark for all fisheries would only alienate any sort of future compromise.

if you where to stop the herring fishery because of discards would the threat of a total ban on trawling be a threat that commercial fishermen would fined to much of a threat to take?

Pushing discards down every body’s throat could at the end of the day be a negative way of highlighting something that in certain quarters may need addressing.

Regards.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that there are not (acceptable) amounts of discard being taken with regard to the herring (spawn) fishery. But to use this fishery as an example to all fisheries would be unrealistic and damaging to any further legislation regarding trawling activities.

Each fishery should be closely monitored and addressed on the evidence that is established during this fishery.

Acceptable is a subjective word John.

Those words of the Scientists at CEFAS WRT the local herring spawn fishery you mention still worry me -

If the results of this project are seen as typical of cod fishing in this area in all

years, the Yorkshire coast fishery would be regarded as predominantly an

immature fishery, providing information about the recruitment of cod to a very

localised area. Repeat of the survey in spring using an 80 mm mesh might be

useful for warning of a large year-class about to become vulnerable to the fishery,

thereby permitting measures to be taken to reduce wastage due to discarding.

Guest challenge
Acceptable is a subjective word John.

Those words of the Scientists at CEFAS WRT the local herring spawn fishery you mention still worry me -

But surely the last few weeks have proven that the herring fishery (discard) is not typical of the fishery in this area.

No ones conception of discards is going to be acceptable to everybody.

All experience is subjective glen.

But surely the last few weeks have proven that the herring fishery (discard) is not typical of the fishery in this area.

No ones conception of discards is going to be acceptable to everybody.

All experience is subjective glen.

No but it is typical of Several months in Autumn and if as you say requested measures wouldn't make any difference I struggle to see why you fear them so much.

Science is not subjective John.

Guest challenge
No but it is typical of Several months in Autumn and if as you say requested measures wouldn't make any difference I struggle to see why you fear them so much.

Science is not subjective John.

Simple glen.

If you threaten somebody’s livelihood because you assume that they are going to get the same discards all year that they (or at least a very small minority) get in a few weeks during the summer, then you are wasting a good opportunity to assess the current problem (if indeed there is a problem) during the herring fishery.

Keep shouting wolf and no body is going to listen to you.

Science is not an experience glen.

:thumbs: