Discards

glennk

Makes me laugh.when i was on the trawlers you got to know a lot of 'goings on' that shouldn't have been. Illegal landings of fish.contraptions that closed the meshes on the nets so small fish couldn't escape.fishing in no fishing zones ie the showaddywaddy.an area from staithes to sandsend ness and stretching 3.25 miles out to sea.all trawlers were guilty of this.some more than others.they weren't moaning then.

I was on them just over 7 yrs .things were tied onto the codend to close the meshes.lumps of old conveyer the same size as the codend were a favourite.putting rope through the meshes right around it and pulling them tight so the codend couldn't expand was another.don't know why they bothered as it just caught more bulk and nearly all of it was undersize.but it seemed to make the skippers happy seeing a large bulk of fish coming aboard even though the amount of fish kept was only slightly more than if the contraptions weren't used.

No Mention Of Rocks

Makes me feel sick with anger to know what has happened. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by glennk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
No Mention Of Rocks

Makes me feel sick with anger to know what has happened. They should be ashamed of themselves.

As I said glen, it’s self explanatory. Why do you think a cod end is designed as it is? What do you think would happen if the cod end was pulled tight so that nothing could get through it?

If you pick up say a 45 gal oil drum, what do you think happens to your trawl?

If you would of ever made a trawl glen, then you would know that because of its design doing things to it like the mans says, would be asking for more than trouble.

Not only would it stop you catching any fish at all, but you would loose spread at your doors, come fast at the first bit of ground you came at, or last but not least spend all week with a mending needle in your hand.

Don’t get too mad just yet glen, I have heard worst things said by people who I sailed with about what we where suppose to of done. For a moment (when they where explaining what we where suppose to of done) they forgot that I was there with them at the time.

Regards.

Thanks for that Link Ian - It will prove very useful for something Im currently working on. Another very interesting read. You and Seaside certainly seem to know your stuff on this subject.

Thanks for that Link Ian - It will prove very useful for something Im currently working on. Another very interesting read. You and Seaside certainly seem to know your stuff on this subject.

Funny thing is Glenn, there's a lot in there that most Commercial fishermen would agree with, or should I rephrase that as UK fishermen.

I wonder what they would have thought if they had observers on board the Whitby charter fleet last summer

I think that observers are a good idea, would cut out a lot of perceptions.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Funny thing is Glenn, there's a lot in there that most Commercial fishermen would agree with, or should I rephrase that as UK fishermen.

I wonder what they would have thought if they had observers on board the Whitby charter fleet last summer

In Scotland, the FRS observer programme began in 1975 and has operated in its current form since 1978. Landings and discard data are collected by scientific observers on board commercial fishing vessels and are used to estimate discards-at-age of the major commercial round-fish species.

On average, 41 and 20 trips have been sampled annually in Sub-area IV (North Sea) and Division VIa (West Coast) respectively. Of course these are a small percentage of the number of fishing trips for the Scottish fleet as a whole, but they do provide a practical basis for the statistics.

Personally, as many suggest that scientists should 'get out more', I'd like to see the commercial organisations joint funding more of this kind of work.

The increased data would only improve the statistical models used, but would enable the improved setting and monitoring and TACs / Quotas; as the data would be in joint ownership, it would surely help reduce the politics and posturing that goes on around this time of year.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
Put an observer there at herring spawn time AND THEY WOULD SHUT THE LOT DOWN.

I thought that they did a few years ago?

There’s one thing Paul, if they where to send a mini bus of observers down to Whitby there would be too many observers for the boats. :blink:

Guest challenge
http://www.cefas.co.uk/FSP/publications/FS...4-Project-3.pdf

Catches of Cod and other species along the

English NE coast by FV Abbie Lee, FV

Emulator, and by the English Groundfish

Survey, autumn 2003

Thanks jaffa, I thought there had been. I believe it’s the one that Glenk has referred to a few times.

Strange them not shutting the fishery down. :blink:

Regards