Discards

glennk

The question of cod discards during the herring spawn time came up at the very end of the meeting at Scarborough last Wednesday night.

I asked the question: “Although there were hardly any cod discards in the past, when I had taken part in the fishery, at a time when the minimum-sized mesh was much smaller than it was now, it seems that the fishery has changed. Nowadays, it is reputed to have a large amount of cod discards, despite the much larger mesh size. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to monitor this particular fishery and get some accurate information instead of speculation?”

The answer was that it WAS being monitored and, along with other fisheries, it had been for quite some time. The impression I got (possibly wrongly), from the way the answer was given, was that the present level of discards appeared to be of no great concern to the powers-that-be at the moment.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
The question of cod discards during the herring spawn time came up at the very end of the meeting at Scarborough last Wednesday night.

I asked the question: “Although there were hardly any cod discards in the past, when I had taken part in the fishery, at a time when the minimum-sized mesh was much smaller than it was now, it seems that the fishery has changed. Nowadays, it is reputed to have a large amount of cod discards, despite the much larger mesh size. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to monitor this particular fishery and get some accurate information instead of speculation?”

The answer was that it WAS being monitored and, along with other fisheries, it had been for quite some time. The impression I got (possibly wrongly), from the way the answer was given, was that the present level of discards appeared to be of no great concern to the powers-that-be at the moment.

JB

Hi john.

Did you enjoy your curry? Was it worth ending the meeting early for?

Did the powers that be leave any discards in the curry house that they had to attend in order to save the world? :lol:

Regards.

Difficult to know what they are thinking.

This is a letter I got in return from them a few months ago. Again doesn't really give much away.

Dear Mr Kilpatrick

FISH DISCARDS

Thank you for your email of 15 September Ben Bradshaw MP about fish discards. I have been asked to reply.

Fish stocks in EU waters are managed under the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP). A range of measures have been introduced under the CFP to conserve fish stocks. These include the annual limits on total allowable catches, technical measures (such as mesh sizes and closed areas) to protect juveniles and limits on the capacity of fishing fleets.

EU Fisheries Ministers agreed in December 2002 on reform of the CFP. This includes a multi-annual approach to management with recovery plans for stocks outside safe biological limits and management plans for other stocks. Fisheries Ministers agreed to phase out European Union subsidies for vessel building by the end of 2004. The UK does not pay such subsidies which, by introducing new capacity, can undermine conservation efforts.

Other key elements of the new CFP are that there are new powers for Member States to take conservation measures in the 6-12 mile zone. The restrictions that currently limit fishing within 6 and 12 mile limits to countries with historic rights to fish in this area have been renewed for a further 10 years. Regional Advisory Councils have also been established to provide a voice for the fishing industry and other stakeholders - such as conservation organisations - in decisions on fisheries management. The aim of the new measures is to provide a more sustainable future for fish stocks and for the fishermen and communities that depend on them.

The Government agrees that we must do all we can to tackle the problem of overfishing and to conserve depleted stocks.

Under the reformed CFP we have agreed measures to recover cod stocks. These measures effectively limit the number of days a vessel is permitted to fish and Total Allowable Catches of cod have been reduced to very low levels with the aim of recovering stocks to safe biological limits. The UK is playing its full part - we have reduced our effort within the cod recovery area by vessels targeting whitefish such as cod by more than 60%.

Cod is taken in most of the fisheries in the North Sea - in demersal fisheries for cod, haddock and whiting, in the fisheries which target flatfish like plaice and sole and in trawling for Nephrops (langoustines or prawns). All of these fisheries have been restricted to protect cod. Further cuts in fishing days and in quotas were agreed at the Fisheries Council in December 2005. However, to ensure no catches of cod would mean effectively closing all of these fisheries and EU Ministers have concluded that this would have a very serious impact on those communities and fishermen make a living from the waters around the UK. The measures which have been agreed seek to balance the need to take tough action to recover depleted stocks with the need to allow a viable level of fishing to continue. However, we do need to keep the action we are taking under review and a review of the cod recovery plan is planned for next year.

If you would like to know more about what the UK fisheries departments are doing to secure better fisheries management, you may be interested in the response which we and the devolved administrations made to the landmark "Net Benefits" report from the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit. A copy of our response is available at:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/pdf/securingbenefits.pdf

Yours sincerely

Christopher Stewart

Customer Contact Unit

I will be writing to them again soon about the research mentioned above. I know in the years they monitored the fishery (not this year) the year classes were poor. I wondered if they could run a multiplier on the results to give some idea of what the discards have been like this year. It would be good to see them back on the boats next autumn as there could be another good year class going to the slaughter.

For anyone who doubts the seriousness of the issue here, the last few words of the observers research is worth a mention.

If the results of this project are seen as typical of cod fishing in this area in all

years, the Yorkshire coast fishery would be regarded as predominantly an

immature fishery, providing information about the recruitment of cod to a very

localised area. Repeat of the survey in spring using an 80 mm mesh might be

useful for warning of a large year-class about to become vulnerable to the fishery,

thereby permitting measures to be taken to reduce wastage due to discarding.

Quite frightening words from the researchers there. I think DEFRA need reminding of them from time to time.

Hi john.

Did you enjoy your curry? Was it worth ending the meeting early for?

Did the powers that be leave any discards in the curry house that they had to attend in order to save the world? :lol:

Regards.

java script:emoticon(':thumbs:', 'smid_19')

:thumbs:

java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_5')

:D

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Guest challenge
Difficult to know what they are thinking.

This is a letter I got in return from them a few months ago. Again doesn't really give much away.

I will be writing to them again soon about the research mentioned above. I know in the years they monitored the fishery (not this year) the year classes were poor. I wondered if they could run a multiplier on the results to give some idea of what the discards have been like this year. It would be good to see them back on the boats next autumn as there could be another good year class going to the slaughter.

For anyone who doubts the seriousness of the issue here, the last few words of the observers research is worth a mention.

Quite frightening words from the researchers there. I think DEFRA need reminding of them from time to time.

It’s surprising glen what difference (discard wise) you would get between using an 80mm cod end and a 120mm cod end.

Of course they would have to use much smaller mesh down the trunk of the net as well to allow for the 80mm cod end.

I hope that they do come up with some satisfactory results. not only to protect this juvenile fishery (if indeed there is one there to protect) but to also give some backing to a lot of the commercial sector who would prefer not to fish (remembering the majority don’t) on this fishery if indeed there is a problem.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest challenge

Apparently there has been a good show of codlings on the inside easy beats (by trawlers) off Whitby.

This would be a good time to go and ask the skippers responsible for catching this fish about discards. Don’t you think?

I remember fishery’s like this when I was at it. We would go for weeks and hardly see more than a basket of discards from 100 basket days.

A good clean fishery. Has this changed with the amount of small codlings that have been reported in the last few years?

It has been a lovely run of fish landed on the quay.

Regards.

Apparently there has been a good show of codlings on the inside easy beats (by trawlers) off Whitby.

This would be a good time to go and ask the skippers responsible for catching this fish about discards. Don’t you think?

I remember fishery’s like this when I was at it. We would go for weeks and hardly see more than a basket of discards from 100 basket days.

A good clean fishery. Has this changed with the amount of small codlings that have been reported in the last few years?

It has been a lovely run of fish landed on the quay.

Regards.

Hi, john you are right there isnt many small codling on the quey its a nice run of fish most of thoses small codling what was about during the summer have grown very fast from small into mediums but during the summer there was masses of small codling.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg