Canon Lens.

Hellbelly

Well, I'm not sure when but I'm hoping it wont be too long before we lash out and get a Canon 400D. There's plenty of them on e-Bay but I'm not sure what sort of lens package's are good and what are only ok. Any advise? I'd be taking landscape shots and portrate shots mostly. But, I'm right into it at the moment and really want to be able to capture some magic.

Cheers.......HB

Oh, and I'd like some filters too. The graduated one and the ones that give the blured effect to water (sorry Den haha).

Edited by Hellbelly
rb_getcreative.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all depends.............on how good you've been through the year and whether Santa's feeling generous i guess!! :rolleyes:

Out of my three, my 17-40mm F4 has been used the most - incredibly sharp, nice and light, but fairly (cheap for an L series) expensive.

Also, if you hope to get a full frame sensor in the future (or dont mind replacing your lenses), I would forget the EF-S lenses. Worth thinking about perhaps.

However, that said, on a budget(ish) with no future upgrade in mind, I'd go for:-

10-20mm EF-S (landscape)

17-85mm EF-S IS (land/portraits)

70-200 F4L (non IS if ££ is tight) (portraits)

On the Filters front, i dont use anything special:-

Cokin P sized grads (ND's and a few coloured)

Screw in Hoya full ND8

Screw In Hoya Polariser

Screw In Hoya Pro UV's

Hope that helps!

I use the EOS 300D and loads of lenses, but by far the best for just about everthing is EF 28 -135, 3.5 - 5.6 Image stabilising. Bought the lens second hand from e bay. It really helps, especially when you cannot use flash (like hospitals - see my pics from today in members photo thread)

Normally for landscapes you would use a wider lens and the one that comes with the camera in kit form is quite OK.

Have a look around cos all canon EF lens will fit the 400D, even the before digital ones, they give you and extra 1.6 magnification.

Hope this helps some, if in doubt go for the better quality lens and cheaper camera.

Cheers

Cameraman

Edited by Cameraman
If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Hi Hellbelly.

I got myself a Canon 400D off E-Bay a couple of weeks ago for £474 with lens, although its not a brilliant lens it's adequate and I'll use it for macro photography with a few extension rings. I had a 35mm Canon 50E so those lens will also fit the 400D. Also got the Battery pack for it too.

Canon do a vast selection of lenses and it all depends what you require from them and how well you know your Bank Manager. Like anything really, you get what you pay for. I'd love a 70-300 2.8 USM but its into 4 figures and I don't know my Bank Manager at all.

As for filters, I just use a normal 58mm screw on clear filter to protect the lens. They're only about £15-17 from Jessops or any good camera shop and a good investment.

If your getting it from E-Bay, make sure its from a UK dealer or you'll end up paying import duty, big postage etc.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

Yogi

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

If your getting it from E-Bay, make sure its from a UK dealer or you'll end up paying import duty, big postage etc.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

Yogi

Thanks Yogi. I'd better not get a UK one then, :lol::lol: , I'm in Oz. But thanks for the advise.

HB.

rb_getcreative.gif

OMG, I just did a little looking into lens' and I'm just getting more confused. They're talking about focal length V Zoom. God, I just want a goodish lens. One that Chippy mentioned sounds good but at just under $1000Aust it'll have to wait a while.

HB.

rb_getcreative.gif

Thanks Yogi. I'd better not get a UK one then, :lol::lol: , I'm in Oz. But thanks for the advise.

HB.

LOL - sorry mate I didn't realise. Oh btw, what part of Oz. I went to Melbourne in 2002 for the Grand Prix.

Yogi

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

I'm in Adelaide mate. The place where the second test was just won (by us haha).

@Chippy. What is a full frame sensor? And how much do they cost? And are they worth it?

HB.

rb_getcreative.gif

LOL - sorry mate I didn't realise. Oh btw, what part of Oz. I went to Melbourne in 2002 for the Grand Prix.

Yogi

Hi Yogi, You should have made the trip when the GP was in Adelaide,better racing better venue better everything. It was a sin that the powers that be didnt sow up and extend the agreement GP had with Adelaide.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/