White fish fleet could be wiped out by new EC demands

Ian Burrett

Guest challenge
Just out of interest who funds ICES ?

United Kingdom Interests

Lead Departments

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture (CEFAS), Lowestoft Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT.

Telephone: +44 (0) 1502 524248 Email: j.w.horwood@cefas.co.uk

and

Scottish Executive Environment and Rural Affairs Department, Fisheries Research Services, Marine Laboratory, PO Box 101, Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB.

Telephone: +44 (0) 1224 876544 Email: r.cook@marlab.ac.uk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
These department fund ICES or are they ICES ? I don't understand what you mean.

Well they are apart of British interests within ICES. So who do you think funds DEFRA?

Just out of interest who funds ICES ?

The taxpayers in all the countries mentioned earlier by seaside.

I pinched this quote from another forum but though it was a great quote

I just dont get it. What other industry worth jack s###, gets it's entire R&D budget paid for by the tax payers, gets it management paid for by tax payers, gets it's policing paid for by tax payers, gets it's Inshore Dominance (SFCs) paid for from local taxation AND get £millions for regeneration of it's plant & machinery, gets it's marketing costs paid for,

AND if that isn't enough to keep the fleet viable, gets a golden handshake to leave the sector. [6 Brixham beamers are about to share £5 million in decommissioning funds!]IT IS UNBELIEVABLE......

and still they are allowed to go against all the scientific evidence and continue to wipe out the stocks.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest challenge
The taxpayers in all the countries mentioned earlier by seaside.

I pinched this quote from another forum but though it was a great quote

And you wonder why commercial representatives like Arnold locker go onto radio stations to talk about limiting anglers.

With recreational representation like the ones that are showing there real colours now. How can anybody but RSA be surprised?

With recreational representation like the ones that are showing there real colours now. How can anybody but RSA be surprised?

Hello Challenge

You've mentioned that afew times now, and I still can't work out what you're talking about. Who are these representatives, and what are their true colours? Please tell us what you mean instead of talking in riddles all the time!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

QUOTE(challenge @ Dec 7 2006, 05:40 PM)

Hi Challenge

My views have been on record for years and haven't changed.

I personally believe in compulsory catch and release on the Pollack and the Tope and this is practiced on by three boats and will also apply on my fourth boat which will be starting in the spring. It states clearly on my website If you need to take bags of fish home then go else where.

We used to say one for the pot is fine as we could go offshore and pick up plenty of Cod and Haddock but the anglers can't even be bothered doing that. They consider themselves as sports fishermen and not fillet hunters.

It will be over two years since someone intentionally killed a fish on my boat apart from bait fish.

Having said that I would fight for your rights to take a few for the pot. It is only my opinion but I don't believe 80 stone of fillets is Sports fishing nor a particularly good haul to brag about.

My boats take four anglers each and each boat will regularly do a thousand pounds weight of Pollack a day. All caught float fishing on Spinning rods and carp rods in 30 ft of water and within 15 minutes of boarding the boat. The first 10 minutes is spent gathering bait. The other 5 minutes is to steam to the marks. All fish are returned of course.

I deliberately post any reports I have written or conservations with scottish politicians on the Scottish SACN site and the Save our sharks websites so I can't be accused by anybody of underhand dealings or trying to go behind angler's backs.

I must admit I have less tolerance for the commercials then when I started on the conservation issues.

This is because I am sick of year by year watching species disappear and the environment ruined. As i type this there are 11 clam dredgers fishing in a small patch in Luce Bay sheltering from the winds.

Many of my mates are commercials and we get along fine, we have different views as they mostly believe in an unregulated sea whereas I don't.

I would like to see more controls on stocks so they are managed for the benefit of the fish not for the benefit of the fishermen.

I would like to see a minimum landing size on all species so every fish has a chance to breed once and a maximum landing limit on endangered species which would give the larger females a chance to breed.

I would like to see closed seasons during breeding cycles on endangered species and the implementation of the golden mile.

The report that I presented to the Scottish executive at a recent RSA meeting was posted on this forum at

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...ttish+executive

and also The WSF Forum, SACN- Scotland, and the Scottish Federation of Sea Anglers forum

There Challenge; I have shown my colors. None of them will be new to my regular anglers, or long term posters on this forum. It's about time you laid down yours

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I must admit I have less tolerance for the commercials then when I started on the conservation issues.

This is because I am sick of year by year watching species disappear and the environment ruined. As i type this there are 11 clam dredgers fishing in a small patch in Luce Bay sheltering from the winds.

Hello Ian

How is that possible ?

I thought you said they annihilated, destroyed, levelled reefs and totally laid waste to the ground for years to come, last year.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Ian

How is that possible ?

I thought you said they annihilated, destroyed, levelled reefs and totally laid waste to the ground for years to come, last year.

Hi Wurzel

We have had a month of gales 8 and often more. These boats come in to fish in sheltered waters as they are better earning something.

I think the incredible recovery in Lundy justified the above comments I made.

The comments I made was in relation to fish not shell fish. The clams are free swimmers and will often return to the same grounds to colonise. What attracts them I don't know

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk