Bass / Inshore Fishermen / Hypocrites

Biker

I was directed here from this page

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/article06.htm

I am both a new member and a inshore fisherman under 10m , i have read some very valids points on this forum and some right stupid ones, i have seen members attacking commercial fishermen and commercial fishermen attacking pleasure anglers.

The posting the above link takes you to is a statement/letter/newsletter from a cvery influential person within the angling society, so with this in mind as far as myself and details i am going to be vague, i have read several newsletters/bullitens/letters by this chap and found that 12 mnths since reading his first article that its time to say whats on my mind, this guy has spent years stripping sea areas of sandeels and other baits, i may be wrong but i also read somewhere that a sandeel fisherie in Scotland somewhere did not recover from over fishing , yet this practice is unregulated as far as i can see, i have heard this guy go on about us wrecking bass stocks, damaging sea life in a unrecoverable way, to me he is a hypocrite , as Bass come into our area to feed on sandeels which he is stripping and selling fior monetery gain,no difference to the fishermen as we all do this for monetary gain and to pay bills and live, nhe blames everyone but himself, and i felt enough was enough and its about time he stopped acting all inocent in his personnel drive to blacken the name of inshore under 10m fishermen , i also pleasure fish and i put all small not nesscessary undersized, but all small fish i return, somenights i also return good sized Bass if i do not wish to either consume or give as a gift to someone.

Let me guess in the good days this guy goes on about he never kept any fish for himself of monetary gain B*^ll(^&ks, For me and no one will convince me any different he is as much to blame as us inshore fishermen....sry rant over :angry::angry:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many will gess who you are talking about. He has done a lot for bass conservation, and how can you try and compair one man with a very small net to the destruction done by many commercial fishermen?

Anyhow welcom to the forum.

Edited by frankthebass

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

One thing to remember is that the species of sandeel found in shallow inshore waters, and which is sold as anglers' bait, is a different species (ammodytes tobianus) to the deep water species targed by the industrial fishery (ammodytes marinus).

There is no problem (as far as I'm aware) with the populations of sandeel that are fished for bait, and the targeted fishery for this species is very small indeed.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

............. i may be wrong but i also read somewhere that a sandeel fisherie in Scotland somewhere did not recover from over fishing .............

In the main - yes you are wrong.

A combination of several factors, including under-recruitment and commercial overfishing, greatly impacted several deep-water stocks, most are still heavily depleted but appear to be in recovery.

I think many will gess who you are talking about. He has done a lot for bass conservation, and how can you try and compair one man with a very small net to the destruction done by many commercial fishermen?

Anyhow welcom to the forum.

Hi and thankyou for your welcome , but the point iwas trying to get across is that for many years he has stripped the area in question and it does have an impact as now sandeel stocks around this area have declined alot, we used to go down our local surf beach and vingle/scrape sandeels and we would get enough for a whole nights fishing 20-30 sandeels , now and even on the big tides you are lucky to scrape 5 , the shoal;s in the bay area have lessened, and yes although he has done alot for Bass conservation (of which altghough i am a commercial fisherman i do agree with the new sizes) it makes me angry to read that he blames the under 10m inshore fisherman of which he is one himself, again i reiterate , Greenpeace campaign on Whaling etc etc yet no Greenpeace member has shares in a whaling boat, so i find it hypocrictical that he has and still does make a huge living from the sea doing no different to the inshore men for " monetary gain " , again thanks for your welcome and i like the idea of somewhere to clear the air.

Anglers should'nt catch bait. Are you that mad bloke who keeps making a fool of himself at the sfc meetings down there ?

I psml lol i am not any mad bloke that goes to SFC meetings, but thanks for the comparison, and trry reading what i said before and you may of understood, did i say anglers shouldnt catch bait NO

did i say how can someone blame everyone but himself YES

Sandeels are N0 1 in the Bass food chain so in my mind take away the Sandeel and Bass will no longer enter certain zones to feed, i have heard this guy blame all inshore fisherman and yet the inshore fishery has made him a very wealthy man over the years and he seems to forget that and how he did damage.

Guest challenge

Welcome to the forum biker.

I don’t think that you are mad, but there are plenty on here who will accuse you of much worse than that.

Still if you’re a commercial fisherman you will be use to it.

I am not a bass fisherman, but I look forward with interest to your forthcoming posts.

Again welcome. :clap2:

In the main - yes you are wrong.

A combination of several factors, including under-recruitment and commercial overfishing, greatly impacted several deep-water stocks, most are still heavily depleted but appear to be in recovery.

Thanks for correcting me cause i did point out " I MAYBE WRONG" :)

But i dont think i am totally wrong as i have seen the decline of sandeels from our area over several years and granted all factors have to be taken into account , but again i refer to my point that no one commented on , all his business like everyelses is for monetary gain towards a better lifestyle , nothing wrong with that we all strive for that , but he is inshore fishing in a unregulated sector of fishing and has it all his own way and then slags off the inshore men for doing exactly what he has done for years, and i am hopefull he will comment here as to why he thinks he is different to everyone else.

I also net amongst various other commercial activities but any kind of netting including mine is a very destructive and a unselective way of fishing of which he is a part of so my point again is he is an inshore fisherman making out he is a saint.

Welcome to the forum biker.

I don’t think that you are mad, but there are plenty on here who will accuse you of much worse than that.

Still if you’re a commercial fisherman you will be use to it.

I am not a bass fisherman, but I look forward with interest to your forthcoming posts.

Again welcome. :clap2:

I gotta be mad to be a commercial fisherman for a living lol , thanks for your welcome buddy, i enjoy all types of fishing including sitting by a lake in the sun carping its a great sport with big emotional and satisfying returns

Thanks again.. :)