Bass / Inshore Fishermen / Hypocrites

Biker

Biker,

What particularly has Malcolm said about the inshore fleet that you feel is wrong or unjustified?

His business depends upon there being a healthy Recreational Sea Fishery.

Plenty of fish available for everyone, especially the species that are of most interest to anglers, means more people angling, and people going angling more often.

And more spending money on bait, and buying bait more often.

Now if there are practices that threaten that availability of fish, that are unreasonable, particularly practices that are illegal, anyone; commercial fishermen dependent on the stock, angling business dependent on people going angling, should get involved and ensure that those practices are curtailed, for the good of all and the future of the stock.

It makes good business sense for a start.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the company inquestion is responsible for a decline in sandeels catches in Scotland, but my point is if (again i cant find the page i found it on , if someone knows the full facts please add) i read somewhere that a sandeel fisherie somewhere in Scotland had become unreversablly damaged, so if this can happen there , can it not happen here ?

May i suggest you read the posts again as my main point was not aimed at the sandeel fisheries of the UK it isaimed at 1 person slating another when the person slating is in the same business and uses the same methods..

There are several sandeel fisheries off the Scottish coast, all of which, at one time or another, have been seriously depleted ( generally by industrial overfishing but recruitment has also been variable ) been closed from time to time and then re-opened.

As far as I know, none have been irreversibly damaged, though stocks are still considered to be extremely fragile.

Hello Biker, welcome to AN

A lot of what people think and say depends on whether the fishery they are talking about is sustainable or not. You've said yourself that all nets are destructive, personally I wouldn't go as far as that. What happened with the industrial sand eel fishery, where huge boats come in loaded to point of almost sinking, surely can't be compared to a very small time operator supplying bait to anglers.

I would imagine you are local to Cornwall because you've stated that the numbers of sand eels are down, and also the numbers of bass in the area. There must still be plenty of sand eels left because Ammo are still selling them as far as I know, so there must still be plenty left for the bass to feed on. I would imagine that sand eels grow a lot faster than bass, so that small fishery is probably a lot more sustainable than the local bass fishery.

Hi mate

Thankyou for your welcome , yeah i would say most of what you said is correct , but the sandeel have definately declined over the past 10-20yrs this could be due to over fishing or climatic conditions this is something i am not that clued up on the climate lol, and yes a bait net cannot be as destructive as a gill net, but the same goes from a 200yd sheet set half slack compared to a trawl, the later causing more damage, what would be a good idea for all and fishing as an industry would be to turn all netters into long liners, thus 1 hook 1 fish scenario, therefore after the first few mnths i would of thought all prices would rise sharply, fish stocks would have a chance to recover and thrive and the rod anglers would also benefit from better sized and qyuality fish hitting the shores, but somehow i dont think this would ever be a feasable solution, but thnx again for your welcome

Biker,

What particularly has Malcolm said about the inshore fleet that you feel is wrong or unjustified?

His business depends upon there being a healthy Recreational Sea Fishery.

Plenty of fish available for everyone, especially the species that are of most interest to anglers, means more people angling, and people going angling more often.

And more spending money on bait, and buying bait more often.

Now if there are practices that threaten that availability of fish, that are unreasonable, particularly practices that are illegal, anyone; commercial fishermen dependent on the stock, angling business dependent on people going angling, should get involved and ensure that those practices are curtailed, for the good of all and the future of the stock.

It makes good business sense for a start.

Hi mate yep what he has said is the blame on Bass downfall lies with the inshore fisherman or words to taht effect if i could find the postings i would copy them here they maybe old like previously staed, he runs a business reliant on fisheries , so do inshore fleets in our area, yet he was slatting inshorew fishermen fortheir partnof the damage, fine i would definately agree that inshore netting has an effect on both fish stocks and the enviroment, but he also is a inshore fisherman reliant on making a living on inshore waters using simular methods as we do , so the picture i see him paint is that inshore fiashing practices are bad alround when he practices the same methods , okay NOT gill netting but still obtaining a living from the sea inshore , he has made his living and worked hard for it, what about the inshore men/women who havent ?

Why paint a picture that he is a saint yet inshore men/women are not, if we are responsible for some form of damage then so is he for the methods he uses and taking the number1 in the food chain for Bass, when i first started this post i thought i could get my point of view across without revealing who i am, but unfortunately i cant , as by going further into detail would leave me open, so all i am gooing to say is before he throws rocks at inshore fishermen/women practises he should see that he is no different to us.

Thankyou for all your welcomes..

when i first started this post i thought i could get my point of view across without revealing who i am, but unfortunately i cant , as by going further into detail would leave me open

Biker

I still don't understand your need for anonymity - leave you open to what?

Do you think that MG would send the boys around :-) or are you one of Ammo's suppliers of sandeels, squid or line-caught mackerel, or a competitor perhaps?

I still don't understand the need to hide behind a psuedonym, if what you say is really true.

You may call Mr Gilbert a hypocrite, but at least he has the balls to put his name to what he writes, rather than refuse to identify yourself.

There have been a number of posters recently who for one reason or another have refused to divulge their identity, or the source of some rumour or other. Most have turned out to be all wind and pi** with some grudge to bear or an anti-RSA agenda.

Put up or shut up is the phrase that springs to mind.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

Hello Biker, welcome to AN

You've said yourself that all nets are destructive, personally I wouldn't go as far as that.

Hi steve

I am a bit surprised at you saying that, and would have to dissagree with you, its got to be common knowledge that nets of any discription are distructive!! the question is how to make them less distructive and the only answer to that is to do away with them altogether, atleast in certain area's.

There is some credibility to what biker is saying about mr gilbert, afterall he has used and uses a net to catch and kill fish to sell for profit! fair point to make imo, as mr biker and we all know! we have all done things in the past to help knock the shyte out of the fish stocks and its time for everyone to turn over a new leaf so to speak, i would expect mr gilbert and other net users to obide by the golden mile rule if this proposal was taken on, or would he be exempt because he would be supplying the rsa? i have read what he has done for conservation issues and bass etc, and i would not knock anyone for that but what is he's main motives business or pleasure? perhaps it is time he looked at other ways to supply sand eels as bait? or stopped suppling them altogether and relyed on all the other stuff he sells? remember its just my opinion lads

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

when i first started this post i thought i could get my point of view across without revealing who i am, but unfortunately i cant , as by going further into detail would leave me open

Biker

I still don't understand your need for anonymity - leave you open to what?

Do you think that MG would send the boys around :-) or are you one of Ammo's suppliers of sandeels, squid or line-caught mackerel, or a competitor perhaps?

I still don't understand the need to hide behind a psuedonym, if what you say is really true.

You may call Mr Gilbert a hypocrite, but at least he has the balls to put his name to what he writes, rather than refuse to identify yourself.

There have been a number of posters recently who for one reason or another have refused to divulge their identity, or the source of some rumour or other. Most have turned out to be all wind and pi** with some grudge to bear or an anti-RSA agenda.

Put up or shut up is the phrase that springs to mind.

1. I can assure you im not full of wind and p*** and that alone shows you are narrow minded,

2. I have a very good reason to NOT identify myself and i cannot say why , maybe at a later date things will change, but until then i have no choice, if you dont like it tuff.

Im a commercial and i know all nets are destructive both when they are attached to a line/rope or snagged on a rock or washed up on the shore if you dont understand those principles i dont think you should really comment as that is a common FACT.

Sending boys around ... grow up eh

I see, what i have learnt in a very short period of time is though he runs a business because of who he is its okay to have a conflict of interests, and ppl will kiss his a*(* because of who he is , yet i run a business simular as it relies on fisheries and that makes me a bad person.

If there are restrictions in place would he be a part of that as his fishing takes place 500yds close to the shore or would it be its ok its Mr MG, his efforts for conservatiomn cannot be in question as stavey says he has done lots for various causes within fishing, but i cant help wonder is it for the sake of his business or personnal gain or for the good of all pleasure anglers (cause thats what it needs to be for).

Put up or shut up, well now i know i hit a valid point , well done that wil put you on MG's christmas card list.... :lol::lol:

So, Malcolm should have kept quite about what he feels is wrong.

Because he uses a net to catch sandeels.

Tell me the difference i set nets inshore to make a living, hmmmmm sandeels come from inshore where MG makes a living , but he has the gaul to slate inshore men/women

Now look at the title of this post HYPOCRITE i cannot see itr any other way..

as mr biker and we all know! we have all done things in the past to help knock the shyte out of the fish stocks and its time for everyone to turn over a new leaf so to speak.

Have we ?

I'd like to know what it is that you think I have done to fish stocks Stavey ?