Surface Poppers

Paul Molyneux

I would be interested to here from pluggers that have been successful with surface poppers.

I have bought a couple of the large Chug Bugs, a few of the large Duel Aile magnet slider SB's and a couple of 12cm 40gm Skitter Pops.

I was wondering if the 9cm 14gm saltwater version of the Skitter Pop was as effective.

For some reason the larger Skitter Pops don't seem to have tail feathers wheras the 9cm 14gm saltwater version does.

Any feedback would be most grateful

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested to here from pluggers that have been successful with surface poppers.

Any feedback would be most grateful

G'day mate, here in Australia, fishing with poppers is a very popular form of fishing, especially so in the Great Barrier Reef complex and Kimberlies of WA. The GTs, queenies and other pelagics go ballistic. If you can, get a copy of Malcolm Doulgas' Fishing In The Kimberlies. There is a segment where he takes the hooks off just to see the GTs smash the popper.

In freshwater there are a number of enthusiasts who chuck out poppers for barramundi, saratoga and murray cod.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, here in Australia, fishing with poppers is a very popular form of fishing, especially so in the Great Barrier Reef complex and Kimberlies of WA. The GTs, queenies and other pelagics go ballistic. If you can, get a copy of Malcolm Doulgas' Fishing In The Kimberlies. There is a segment where he takes the hooks off just to see the GTs smash the popper.

In freshwater there are a number of enthusiasts who chuck out poppers for barramundi, saratoga and murray cod.

Thanks Bobj

I can't wait to get my 1st Bass on surface popper. I will leave the hooks on though!!!!!!

Have only caught Bass on the Saltwater Chug Bug (but then that is the only popper I have apart from a couple of giants). When I caught the Bass were driving eels to the surface; I saw the baitfish break the surface, popped on the popper and cast over the point where the bait fish were jumping and drew the Chug Bug back making it make a splash like breaking bait fish and WHAM! BANG! ETC. I called my fishing mate over and he did the same and we had caught two good sized Bass within a couple of minutes. Because the fish take the lure when it is stationary the line just goes completely solid - great fun! Strange thing is that I think that these were freshwater eels migrating rather than Sandeels but I cannot see that the Bass would be concerned either way. I guess that they could have been large Launce but the Eel I saw breaking the surface was very dark in colour and we had seen a migrating eel the night before.

My advice is just keep at it and that when you catch it really rewarding.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

are u fishing in england? because i wouldnt reccommend fishing on the surface for bass at this time of year. they go in to lazy mode this time of year but then again i have been wrong quite often

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Hi Paul

The 9cm Rapala Skitterpop is absolutely perfect for bass and is the lure of choice for many UK poppers.

I find that the 12cm Skitterpop is a tad too big for the UK scene, not because of its size, but because of its weight and resistance that it creates when you pop it. You'll need a pretty beefy rod to cast and retrieve the 12cm version and it can be quite tiring to keep the thing working over a couple of hours session. The hooks are far to meaty too - far better suited to tropical species.

The 9cm by comparison is a doddle to use and despite its lighter weight, it casts well, even into an onshore wind.

Could I suggest that you get hold of a 9cm skitterpop and try the two sizes out. I'm sure that you'll prefer the smaller of the two.

BTW - the magnet sliders and chug bugs are just as good and have caught just as many (if not more) bass, but this is mainly because they are a more popular lure by reputation.

Check out Mike Ladle's webiste (www.mikeladle.com), where there is loads of info. on using surface lures in his sea fishing section and Tackle Tactics entries.

You may also notice Mike using a 9cm Skitterpop in the Still Hooked on Bass DVD.

Unless you are planning a trip to Ireland or the Channel Islands, popping should resume in ernest sometime in April/May, but bass do turn up throughout the winter - mostly on big static baits.

Cheers

Steve

This is the only popper I use fishing for bass in Luce Bay

YozuriAileMagnetpopper.jpg

The bass simply love it

Deadlycombination.jpg

If you not catching it means the bass are not there! :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

are u fishing in england? because i wouldnt reccommend fishing on the surface for bass at this time of year. they go in to lazy mode this time of year but then again i have been wrong quite often

Jay

Thanks for the info, I guess I have decided to start plugging very late in the season although I did catch up with some anglers this week that had caught 2 Bass using normal bait, they were both good size Bass one was 6lb+ the other 5lb+.

Interesting regarding your comments regarding the Bass being a bit sluggish this time of the year for surface lures.

Yes I do fish in this country and live in Wembury, South Devon, but are more use to rock fishing for Smalleyed Ray locally and Bass fishing with live eel off the North Cornwall beaches.

I will only feel comfortable with plugging when I take my 1st Bass this way.