Surface Poppers

Paul Molyneux

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul

The 9cm Rapala Skitterpop is absolutely perfect for bass and is the lure of choice for many UK poppers.

I find that the 12cm Skitterpop is a tad too big for the UK scene, not because of its size, but because of its weight and resistance that it creates when you pop it. You'll need a pretty beefy rod to cast and retrieve the 12cm version and it can be quite tiring to keep the thing working over a couple of hours session. The hooks are far to meaty too - far better suited to tropical species.

The 9cm by comparison is a doddle to use and despite its lighter weight, it casts well, even into an onshore wind.

Could I suggest that you get hold of a 9cm skitterpop and try the two sizes out. I'm sure that you'll prefer the smaller of the two.

BTW - the magnet sliders and chug bugs are just as good and have caught just as many (if not more) bass, but this is mainly because they are a more popular lure by reputation.

Check out Mike Ladle's webiste (www.mikeladle.com), where there is loads of info. on using surface lures in his sea fishing section and Tackle Tactics entries.

You may also notice Mike using a 9cm Skitterpop in the Still Hooked on Bass DVD.

Unless you are planning a trip to Ireland or the Channel Islands, popping should resume in ernest sometime in April/May, but bass do turn up throughout the winter - mostly on big static baits.

Cheers

Steve

Good Morning Steve!

Oddly enough I ordered 2 9cms in Silver Mackeral and Mullet. I sent them back and exchanged them for 12's.

I think they were SSP09's Saltwater but the hooks were dark.

I had better get some on order!

I will tell you what I have bought so far in the lure line

7 X 125mm 30g Aile Magnet SB Sliders (I have lost one already due to a knot in the braid)

2 X Large Chug Bugs

2 X 12cm Skitter Pops

1 X Maria 30cm Chase

1 X Maria Anglel Kiss

1 X Rapala J13 in Blue

1 X Rapala SL 13 Sliver in Sandeel

1 X Crystal Minnow 110mm 11gm Floating

1 X Crystal Minnow 130mm 18gm Floating

1 X Crystal Minnow 130mm Suspending

1 X Chug Bug CB08 Tenesee Shad

How does this lot sound? Any advice would me most welcome.

Is there anything I have missed?

You know the rest of my tackle, as my earlier conversations with you played a major part in my choice. The braid is new to me. Went for the Dynon MCT in 24.3lb. Have had the odd knot

I have met Delj who I have been talking to on the site. He came down to my house and brought with him the video, Still Hooked on Bass and the book with Mike Ladle & Alan Vaugn.

I did notice that ML started fishing in the video 1 mile West of Plymouth but could not work out the size of the Skitter Pop

I can now put a face to your name!

I am very keen to be successful at plugging and am long enough in the tooth to know that I will need to be very patient. I am lucky enough to live in a very good area and have taken Bass to over 8lb on live eel from the shore within walking distance of my house, in fact the last 2 issues of TSF have featured this area.

Thanks again for the help!

Jay

Thanks for the info, I guess I have decided to start plugging very late in the season although I did catch up with some anglers this week that had caught 2 Bass using normal bait, they were both good size Bass one was 6lb+ the other 5lb+.

Interesting regarding your comments regarding the Bass being a bit sluggish this time of the year for surface lures.

Yes I do fish in this country and live in Wembury, South Devon, but are more use to rock fishing for Smalleyed Ray locally and Bass fishing with live eel off the North Cornwall beaches.

I will only feel comfortable with plugging when I take my 1st Bass this way.

hi m8 ive gone out sea fishing once this season and had a 3 lb bass taken on ragworm but because the weather is colder they scour the bottom in search of an easy meal but if you see movement on the surface regarding bass youve got a good chance you will hook one

hope this helps

Jay Harris

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Most of my surface lure fishing has been in the tropics and I find that the walk the dog type lures such as the Skitter walk and the Lucky Craft SW Sammy or any of the pencil tyoe lures to be as effective as poppers and I am sure they would work for UK Bass.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hi Paul

You live in a good bassing area, You've got a good rod and reel combo, the right braid and all the lures that you are likely to need - all that you seem to lack is the confidence.

Like most people who try plugging, the first fish is always the hardest - it took me several trips before I caught my first. Others are luckier, so don't get disheartened. There are lots of smaller bass around these days, so numerically, you stand a better chance of picking up a bass than I did when I started 25 years ago!

If you can team up with someone who is either new to plugging too, or has had some success, this will give you extra confidence to stick with it and sharing info and catches means that you don't feel so down if things are slow and when you do catch, you have someone to share the experience with.

Your range of lures is well thought out. You have got most situations covered, from the surface to around 4 metres down (with the sliver) and you seem to have cornered the market in Aigle magnet sliders :-)

Whilst it is not a hopeless task at this time of year (I have caught bass on plugs on my birthday, 20th December, in years past) it is less likely that you'll catch bass from now until say, April. Mind you - If you don't go, you'll never know and any practice and experimentation with different retrieves and actions is all worthwhile experience for next season. Living in Devon does put you at an advantage, as bass do tend to hang around inshore later, the further South you go. Likewise, they put in an appearance earlier in the spring in good numbers, than if you lived / fished in North Wales for example.

The other real plus on your side is the fact that you live so close to what is obviously a good bass mark.

You can pick the ideal conditions and fish at the crack of dawn, without having to face a 2 hour car journey like a lot of us do.

I'm sure that when the bass are around next year, you'll do well and then you can maybe move on to fly fishing for the bu**ers.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Paul

You live in a good bassing area, You've got a good rod and reel combo, the right braid and all the lures that you are likely to need - all that you seem to lack is the confidence.

Like most people who try plugging, the first fish is always the hardest - it took me several trips before I caught my first. Others are luckier, so don't get disheartened. There are lots of smaller bass around these days, so numerically, you stand a better chance of picking up a bass than I did when I started 25 years ago!

If you can team up with someone who is either new to plugging too, or has had some success, this will give you extra confidence to stick with it and sharing info and catches means that you don't feel so down if things are slow and when you do catch, you have someone to share the experience with.

Your range of lures is well thought out. You have got most situations covered, from the surface to around 4 metres down (with the sliver) and you seem to have cornered the market in Aigle magnet sliders :-)

Whilst it is not a hopeless task at this time of year (I have caught bass on plugs on my birthday, 20th December, in years past) it is less likely that you'll catch bass from now until say, April. Mind you - If you don't go, you'll never know and any practice and experimentation with different retrieves and actions is all worthwhile experience for next season. Living in Devon does put you at an advantage, as bass do tend to hang around inshore later, the further South you go. Likewise, they put in an appearance earlier in the spring in good numbers, than if you lived / fished in North Wales for example.

The other real plus on your side is the fact that you live so close to what is obviously a good bass mark.

You can pick the ideal conditions and fish at the crack of dawn, without having to face a 2 hour car journey like a lot of us do.

I'm sure that when the bass are around next year, you'll do well and then you can maybe move on to fly fishing for the bu**ers.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the encouragement Steve!

I will let you know when I catch one on plug.

Since your earlier posting I have ordered 3 X 9cm Skitter Pops in Silver Mackerel, Mullett & Blue Mullet. I know I have probably bought more lures than I need overall but will not need to buy anymore for a while.

Since your earlier posting I have ordered 3 X 9cm Skitter Pops in Silver Mackerel, Mullett & Blue Mullet. I know I have probably bought more lures than I need overall but will not need to buy anymore for a while.

Just keep on buying a variety of plugs Paul then you'll have all the more to lend to me. :clap2:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of pencil popper type lures. They cast further than the chug bugs and skitter pops and are rather more versatile because they can be chugged, dog walked like a stick bait or cranked in at full speed for crazy tropical action. Of course it was chug bugs that first hit the UK press for bass so that's what everyone wants.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of pencil popper type lures. They cast further than the chug bugs and skitter pops and are rather more versatile because they can be chugged, dog walked like a stick bait or cranked in at full speed for crazy tropical action. Of course it was chug bugs that first hit the UK press for bass so that's what everyone wants.

Thanks Ken!

Any feedback is useful! I am age 53 and have been a serious Shore angler for around 40 years now.

I have managed to learn much over the years and have caught some decent fish. Other than fishing marks I have always shared info with other anglers.

I must confess that my knowledge of plugging for Bass is zero and I start as a novice although I am learning qickly thanks to some of the more experienced pluggers who use this site.

I did hook a cracking Bass many years ago on an Abu Krill which was my favourite lure only to lose the fish right at the waters edge!