100lb carp!

carphead07

hi all

i was reading the newspaper the other day and i found this very small artcle about carp

so i started reading it and it was saying that scientists believe that carp will grow over 100 lb in a couple of years time

how good will this be

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how good will this be

OOOH I am so excited another artificially reared gut bucketed monster swimming around somewhere.

Fly fishing went down this route a few years back and it set the sport back years.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

WOW!!!!! I think I will have to get a stronger line then if there are gunna be big'uns like that swimming around!!!

tight lines,

me :thumbs:

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

There was a blue carp or two I think that was imported over that weight but I don't think there's anything else. Plus it's classed as an ornamental and I think it had to be removed or fishing for it was stopped (??).

Tony - no-ones talking artificially reared monsters, these fish, like the big French ones now, have grown on in the wild.

Rob.

Tony - no-ones talking artificially reared monsters, these fish, like the big French ones now, have grown on in the wild.

Rob.

I'd be interested to know if those big French fish were stocked at a couple of pounds or so, because that would be as close as they ( or the majority of all other Carp stocked in Europe ) would ever get to being natural fish grown on in the wild.

Bring back the Wildie I say :lol::clap::lol:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

hi all

just another quik question

1:do carp grow bigger in the wild or when there speicly bred

2: and wot is the difference between the 2

thanx all

mike finlay the carpinator

Carp are semi selectively bred, for scaling and size. Whilst carp are grown on and re-stocked they are grown on in lakes which to my mind is natural. They are removed and transferred to other waters at an increased weight but they are not artificially reared and fed like trout are.

Rob.

hi all

just another quik question

1:do carp grow bigger in the wild or when there speicly bred

2: and wot is the difference between the 2

thanx all

Carp which are specifically bred, reared & stocked at high weights ( this means most of them ) grow far bigger than fingerlings of the same fish which live out their entire lives in the same lake, ie as close to a natural situation as the artificial modern Carp can get. The Carp we fish for are all selectively bred for - as Rob says - size & looks, looks often come a poor second to size I might add.

If you're asking the difference between a Wildie & a specifically bred fish Carphead, then its almost like they're two different fish.

Reality is, the true Wild Carp is an extremely rare fish & there is an argument to be made that we've never really had one in this country. Fully scaled, long & lean with a very different red & white muscle arrangement to the modern King carp, it is pound for pound far stronger & faster than the Commons & Mirrors we fish for. However, as most fishermen are size oriented & the Wildie's top weight wouldn't reach 25% of the worlds biggest King carp, don't hold your breath waiting for them to turn up at your local water.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.