Any from maggotdrowners on here ?

Enter Sandman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kempo - as noted, I haven't been on in a while but I really don't remember any serious 'clique' issues. All forums of any size and age do have them (including AN) and they aren't even necessarily a bad thing if kept under control which the MD mod staff always did.

MD at that time was fairly match oriented and since I don't do any of that, there just weren't enough interesting topics for me.

However, it was a good forum and well run and at a guess, it almost certainly still is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

HI ALL I RECENTLY JOINED MAGGOTDROWNERS MY MATE SHOWED ME THE SITE I HAVE JUST BEEN FISHING IN SCOURIE ON NICK HANCOCKS FISHING SCHOOL I FISHED WITH WENDY AND BIGGAZ WHO YOU MITE ALL KNOW ANYHOW IF YOU CAN GET STV ON SKY ITS ON AT 7.70 9TH OF JAN IF NONE OF YOU CAN GET IT WILL BE ON DISCOVERY REALTIME VERY SOON HOPE YOU ALL WATCH IT WAS QUITE FUNNY :rolleyes:

i used to be a member but this forum is much better at helping people out and not as clicky.

if your face don't fit on the MD forum then you ain't coming in is the attitude i drew from the forum, there are some nice people on there but it comes across to me like they have there little gang and they are happy with that so i dumped that childish attitude for this more adult and experienced type of forum.

there a bunch of swankers

:yucky::yucky::yucky::yucky:

:rolleyes::headhurt: duck for cover No comment :rolleyes:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

ok i admit it,I have posted on MD's (well my alter ego has) once maybe twice a day !! , i well Gudgeon grabber have done so for a few years now,not had too many problems ,i have met a few of the guys on MD's either directly or through the intersite matches ( meeting other forum users helps breakdown barriers and impressions we have built up ) i also post on one or two other forums ,ok about a dozen or so.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I was an original member :rolleyes: but i dont post any more, :lol::lol::lol:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I was an original member :rolleyes:but i dont post any more, :lol::lol::lol:

they won't let you because you are :lock: ed out

but don't loose any sleep over it or :cry::cry:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

bit like the amount of sleep i've lost over certain people no longer being on there and no that ain't aimed at the monkey hanging mackem wannabe :P

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

I found that it could get more than a bit cliquey as well so I have not bothered posting there for a while. The impression I got was that once the cliques took a dislike to you they would jump all over every post you put on regardless of subject. Last time I looked on the same old attention seekers were still there along with the cliques. So for me it is best left alone for a while longer.

I've posted on MD for the past two or three years so feel qualified to comment.

All Forums are accused of being 'clique-y' - invariably by those who have fallen out with the moderators over posts they have been asked to remove or had removed, or have been heavily criticised for.

It is quite natural for folks to align themselves with those whose views they tend to agree so a situation naturally arises where groups of individuals support one another. What I have found on MD though is that there have been some individuals who have felt aggrieved because they have not been permitted to be abusive, offensive, slanderous (or libelous - whichever you prefer), or been allowed to say exactly what they want, and this they see as a violation of 'freedom of speech'. In fact, there is no such thing as freedom of speech, because (in my experience), few are able to dispationately critique in an impersonal manner. People say things which are not intended to be personal - but just read that way. That's a drawback of Internet Forums.

In my view, there are far too many young people contributing to MD who are clearly incapable of conducting anything like an intelligent discussion. MD did in fact have a Forum for young anglers called 'Pinkydrowners' where young anglers could contribute safely without the risk (or at least very low risk) of pervs intervening. They can join in using their text-talk (which so many find extremely irritating) and post questions like "who is the best angler?" without us old farts sighing and moaning about the spurious-ness of their questions.

A policy decision was made (by MD itself) to admit youngsters on the basis that they are not all sub-intelligent, and a lot of them have in fact more to say than very many of the old buggers. This is very true. The problem is (in my view) there developed an imbalance which produced an incredible amount of meaningless, infantile rubbish for which very many of the older members had no interest. The answer of course was to leave and go elsewhere which a lot of us did (and do), returning now and again to 'dip in and out' as the mood takes us.

I do think the MD moderators are the best of any Forum I have ever been on because they have dealt with some tricky situations in a very even-handed manner. Forums must be run under a tight rein if they are not to degenerate into a free-for-all where open discussion and debate is inhibited.

You can't please everyone even some of the time and the fact they survive at all is testamant to how well they are administered. I couldn't do it, and I take my hat of to those (on MD and here) who can.

IPB Image