Waterproof digital camera or bag ..

Volusian

Funny enough my wife got an Optio w20 for christmas. Didnt realise it might be good for yakking ;):P

I must mention it later.

Will let you know how it goes B):lol:

You crafty bugger Paul!

Wish I'd thought of that, her new slippers are no use to me whatsoever :wallbash:

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think you got your missus slippers for a second. Probably the latest lure rod, just the right length for a P13. :lol:

Just as I was posting this Tina came in. You have never seen a such a quick "post & minimise". That was close. :lol:

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

are the aquapac bags good at keeping expensive cameras dry .. ?

yes, but you have to watch out for condensation, but a couple of silica gel packs sorts that out

that's what I do with my fujufinepix :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

The optio wp is a good camera for kayaking.Seems to be standing up to the test of time - haven't heard of any problems.

I bought a pentax optio WP10 and have taken around 200 pics with it so far.

Easy to use, with lots of useful functions and pre-settings, if you want to get technical.

6 megapixel, so most photos are around 2.5MB and print out on A4 size a treat.

Waterproof i.e full emersion for up to half an hour to 1.5metres.

Uses own rechargeable battery unit which is good for approx 50 shots

Doesn't float, so a cork ball fixed to the wrist strap would be an advantage if you're using it in the yak

Only down side is that it doesn't have viewfinder, so you have to rely on the display screen, which in some lighting conditions can be awkward. Having said that, if in doubt just take a few more pics in case.

Talking of case - it doesn't come with one and I also don't think that it comes with an SD card.

A friend of mine also has one and it stopped working whilst he was on holiday recently. I will post the cause of the problem when known.

Cheers

Steve

Just checked mine (Optio W20) it to is waterproof to 1.5 mts for 30 min.

It doesn't come with a memory card as standard, but it does have an inbuilt memory for taking a few snaps ( don't know how many) , i have a 1GB SD card which gives around 300 pics at 7 MP.....the battery has lasted for 100 or so shots so far and is still showing full.

Don't know why they don't include a card in the first place.

It should come with some sort of lens protection as standard in my book, but it doesn't :unsure:

They recommend getting the waterproof seals replaced / serviced every year and rinsing the camera after salt exposure.

Not sure if they have discontinued the W10, as although they were both available when i first started looking, only the W20 was available when i came to buy.

Off to buy a pike float or something at the first opportunity.

Dave ;)

Phooey has one of the Pentax Optio models (not sure which one) and as soon as I've got a spare few quid shall get one after seeing how it performed last summer when we were out Toping.

He just dunked it in the sea, no messing and came up with this. Just be a bit patient, He was battling a fair old tide run

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=14bnolk

Phooey has one of the Pentax Optio models (not sure which one) and as soon as I've got a spare few quid shall get one after seeing how it performed last summer when we were out Toping.

He just dunked it in the sea, no messing and came up with this. Just be a bit patient, He was battling a fair old tide run

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=14bnolk

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2::clap2: I want one too :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I got my Optio Wpi a year ago , after having lost 2 cheap digital ones by getting them wet, false economy. I attach mine to my pfd and it fits in the top pocket , nice and safe, no bags to get in the way. The only problem I find is it is hard to see thing in the view finder if the sun is out , but still a good camera.

john

Edited by legg

Just checked mine (Optio W20) it to is waterproof to 1.5 mts for 30 min.

It doesn't come with a memory card as standard, but it does have an inbuilt memory for taking a few snaps ( don't know how many) , i have a 1GB SD card which gives around 300 pics at 7 MP.....the battery has lasted for 100 or so shots so far and is still showing full.

Don't know why they don't include a card in the first place.

It should come with some sort of lens protection as standard in my book, but it doesn't :unsure:

They recommend getting the waterproof seals replaced / serviced every year and rinsing the camera after salt exposure.

Not sure if they have discontinued the W10, as although they were both available when i first started looking, only the W20 was available when i came to buy.

Off to buy a pike float or something at the first opportunity.

Dave ;)

Hi Dave

The battery unit, as supplied with the Optio, does give very good usage when compared to other rechargeables.

I have found though that the battery life indicator is pretty inaccurate.

From the first signs of discharge (indicator shows 75% remaining) a few pics later the batery just dies, so either recharge when the battery indicator shows 75% or have a spare (available from Jessops @ £20) handy. I keep one in a zip-lock sandwich bag in my camera pouch.

I think that the WP10 has been preceeded by the WP20 (7 megapixels instead of 6) as my mate's camera was returned and the replacement provided was the WP20. Mind you, they charged him an extra 90 quid for the privilage! He's written to customer services to complain - if the mess him about I'll name and shame.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

I bought a pentax optio WP10 and have taken around 200 pics with it so far.

Easy to use, with lots of useful functions and pre-settings, if you want to get technical.

6 megapixel, so most photos are around 2.5MB and print out on A4 size a treat.

Waterproof i.e full emersion for up to half an hour to 1.5metres.

Uses own rechargeable battery unit which is good for approx 50 shots

Doesn't float, so a cork ball fixed to the wrist strap would be an advantage if you're using it in the yak

Only down side is that it doesn't have viewfinder, so you have to rely on the display screen, which in some lighting conditions can be awkward. Having said that, if in doubt just take a few more pics in case.

Talking of case - it doesn't come with one and I also don't think that it comes with an SD card.

A friend of mine also has one and it stopped working whilst he was on holiday recently. I will post the cause of the problem when known.

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve, nice to see you over here!

Agreed, the W10 is a cracking little camera and for a shade over 120 notes, its a bargain. I have taken a few underwater shots with it and have been very impressed, once i got over the "im putting my camera under the water now, this isnt right feelings" it worked fine.

Highly recommended

jon

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network