INSHORE TRAWLERS HAVE BEEN HAVEING BIG LICKS

big_cod

The inshore trawlers out whitby have been haveing a bumper time over the last month it looks like the inshore fishing for anglers this year could be excellent last year was pretty good but this year could be hectic. :thumbs:

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
The inshore trawlers out whitby have been haveing a bumper time over the last month it looks like the inshore fishing for anglers this year could be excellent last year was pretty good but this year could be hectic. :thumbs:

Well that’s ok then Paul.

Am pleased to see that by this statement you are now stating that commercial trawling is maybe not as efficient as you first thought. :rolleyes:

Or are you saying that come the start of the season, that the remains of the fish that the trawler fleet have left will be numerous enough to represent a hectic days fishing for inshore anglers?

Personally I believe (and hope) that they will be plenty of fish for all concerned. :thumbs:

Regards.

Well seeing as the fleet have rarely been aback of 3 mile it should with a bit of luck it should be knacker deep all the way out to the 12mile and potts cover most of the ground best thing that could have happened for angling of whitby potts and more potts.

I thought they didn't worry about crab pots. Do they not tow them away now if they want to trawl across a certain area ?

Did anyone read that letter in The Whitby Gazette on Tuesday ?

Guest challenge

Big cod.

I hope that you are correct and that there are loads of fish for all concerned this year.

Just because trawlers are not trawling aback of 3 miles (I am afraid to say) does not mean that there will be plenty of fish left there for you (because of this) this year.

The reason they are trawling inside of three mile could be because there is nothing to catch aback of it.

Ask Richard brewer about the time he got a boat over 60ft and could not fish (legally) inside of 3 miles. He nearly starved to death one winter while all the boats had a good winter in side of the 3 mile.

There are always plenty of pots on the ground, but they do leave gaps so trawlers can get through. Especially when the man that owns the (main) boat that is potting, also owns the majority of the trawlers.

Glenk.

How’s the dog?

Trawling pots away (intentionally) would be of no good to anybody. The size of the pots that they work now days would bring most of the Whitby trawlers to a grinding halt. You do not catch fish if you have static gear on you trawl.

You would end up with static gear all over the best of the ground with nobody having any idea where it was. You want to see what 4 or 5 crab pots can do to a trawl?

Do you honestly think that trawler men would go out intentionally to trawl gear away?

Do you know anything about the workings of a trawlers gear?

If you think a trawl is something that you can just drop on the sea bed and drag around with no fear of any obstacles (including static gear) then I am afraid to say you are badly informed or only want to listen to what you want to hear. :rolleyes:

I have got some old videos at home on the workings of a trawl net. shows how the trawl is designed why it is designed (for different fishery’s) and it shows (underwater footage) of the trawl being dragged along the sea bed and what happens to it when it comes to hard ground, obstacles etc.

I can borrow it to you if you like? :thumbs:

Regards.

[quote name='big_cod' date='Jan 4 2007, 07:16 PM' post='710300'

The fishing has been very good inside this winter with a lot of boats working inside of 3 mile murky water and the pipefish explosion gave given very good results for netters and trawlers some of these boats have had a lean year so its nice that the lads can get a bit of cash in there pockets.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Dogs all right now thanks John. No carcasses there today mate.

WRT the pots on the ground it would be rather silly to trawl up your own pots. If the same man owns the pots and the trawler then you just have the pots moved ?? Logic really so maybe there is no fish between 3 and 10 mile.

Did you read that letter in Tuesdays gazette John ? Any idea who wrote it ? sounds like a commercial fisherman or x commercial fisherman wouldn't you say ?

Guest challenge
Dogs all right now thanks John. No carcasses there today mate.

WRT the pots on the ground it would be rather silly to trawl up your own pots. If the same man owns the pots and the trawler then you just have the pots moved ?? Logic really so maybe there is no fish between 3 and 10 mile.

Did you read that letter in Tuesdays gazette John ? Any idea who wrote it ? sounds like a commercial fisherman or x commercial fisherman wouldn't you say ?

I thought it was you or Paul, considering there ridicules description of the fishing methods being used and there inability to disassociate any sort of fact from fiction. :thumbs:

I did read it but soon used it with the rest of the paper to light the fire.

Off cod bashing tomorrow with darlick, going to try and catch that 30lb that your mate got the other year. Squid slithers, mussel, peelers and prawns for them tomorrow.

Carcases all over the landing for your dog tomorrow. :clap2:

Nah wasn't me John I would have signed it mate. Good letter though I thought. Something in the letter made me think it was an x commercial, I hear it is the talk of the cafe's on a morning though with a few people scratching their heads about the author - I heard it was quite comical with some people even shouting at each other. You wouldn't think people would get irate because someone offered a differing opinion on a subject. Good on the author I say.

I think when it says name and address supplied you can ring the paper and ask for the writers details. I would be interested to see who it was wouldn't you ?