Cricket

Clifftop

Sorry guys but you cant even say your lot put up a good show.Next year however may be a whole lot different but for now

we will sing that old song '' We are the Champions". :1a:

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

well played australia they have just been too strong in all departments

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

well played australia they have just been too strong in all departments

Well the Poms were there to participate in two of the most exciting test matches on record. We may have won, but cricket benefitted enormously from it. I guess we saw the end of an era today and whatever the future holds for Aussie and, indeed, world cricket at least we can all be thankful for having been around to see test cricket re-born during the last few years. :clap2:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Well the Poms were there to participate in two of the most exciting test matches on record. We may have won, but cricket benefitted enormously from it. I guess we saw the end of an era today and whatever the future holds for Aussie and, indeed, world cricket at least we can all be thankful for having been around to see test cricket re-born during the last few years. :clap2:

I agree. Shame that the 2nd test went the way it did as that would have made more of a match of it. Not that England would have won, too much capitulation, and no Monty at the start. Plus playing Harmison so soon after injury was idiotic.

Ah well.

Its a great shame that cricket will lose 3 of its greatest stars.

Then again, maybe Ashley Giles, Geriant Jones and Chris Read could do with a rest! :headhurt:

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

OI OI,

CRICKET+ AUSTRALIA + ASHES NEVER A DOUBT REALLY WAS THERE.

ENGLAND NO EXCUSES ( SH$TE ) WELL PLAYED AUSTRALIA.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::oops:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OK folks - back after a long spell away and straight into a cricket thread!

Chris Read. I am sorry but knock Jones for all you like, he frankly has had 'opportunity' to prove himself and failed time and time again, with miserable excuses such as 'he is developing his keeping skills' when frankly at test level your keeper wants to be in form. Read was put back into the test side for the ICC, and probably though he was no 1. choice for Australia - I personally did, but as a Notts season ticket holder last year was probably a little biased. Monty the same - even if the so called spinner Ashley Giles returned, would he have seriously have thought that he'd not have been picked given he was the in form player? No - both Monty and Read struggled a bit (Monty boosted by his first spell it has to be said, but truthfully didn't hit that form again), but mentally both must be wondering what they have to do to prove themselves as international cricketeers.

The 2nd test was then a case of the selectors trying to prove to the public that they were right the first time, when clearly they were not, and putting the managements pride in front of the team (which the public pay to see either by going to Australia or via Sky Sports), frankly ought to be gross misconduct.

Truthfully though this is the best thing to happen to English cricket in a long time. I was at the Ashes in 2005 (Nottingham again) and frankly we were not that awe-inspiring. Good - maybe, but OBE level of good (not a chance)....I hear Warne was beating up Collingwood over his MBE or OBE since I think he only played the last test, and he had two very poor innings - yet technically has received honours from the queen due to the bizarre reaction we have to one off sporting achievments.

England cricket (and rugby from what I gather, but I don't follow that) needed a reality check. The truth is we are not as good as Australia, and really never were. We are certainly no better than Pakistan, Sri Lanka or India in my opinion either. Be interesting to see how we fare with New Zealand, but given the fact that we are right at the bottom of the pile in one-day cricket I suspect we'll get hammered.

So the end of an era for Australia. But lets not forget they have made plans for this, and you only had to listen to the commentary and Australia have redundant talent by the sheadload it seems. 11 months and I suspect you'll see an Aussie team fighting (fighting...) to prove that they were not just a 2 man team......

Ian W

LOL - no idea why I am reading this topic because Ian wrote a great summary/commentary and I did not understand a bit of it.

Welcome back, BTW.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt

I'll be about a bit more in future again - we've just had a really hectic six months what with business and domestics (namely our 16 month midget millie). I've been poking around occasionally, but finding time to sit down and post has been a struggle. However, with a bit of reorganising and job shifting I can hopefully get a bit more involved again!

Ian W

As chevin stated "we may have won, but cricket benefitted enormously from it" says it all. The full attendances attest to that.

And what about the barmy army?? Great ambassadors.......Even had a pommy cop 'cos our blokes couldn't understand them :P;)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

And what about the barmy army?? Great ambassadors.......Even had a pommy cop 'cos our blokes couldn't understand them :P;)

I have to say that I was most impressed with the Barmy Army yesterday - while they are rarely ever quiet, there wasn't a sound from them while Aussie players were being interviewed in the middle of the field after the match. I thought that was a lovely gesture and one that will make them even more popular in Oz than ever. They are certainly welcome visitors despite their loyalties! :clap2:

On the subject of Civil Honours for our crickers, when John Howard was asked if any of them would be honoured in that way, he looked surprised and said, "Whatever for? All they've done is beat the Poms!" :oops:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.