Greys Missionary design "fault"

Bass Boy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger

I really like the look of the missionary 10 ft but as you have pointed out the thread at the front is going to be uncomfortable.I think i`ll email greys and see if they would make one up the other way arround or maybe you can let me know how you get on?

Cheers

Tigger.

Will do Tigger... but I'll be away for the next 2 1/2 weeks (on business, not fishin' unfortunately!)... so it will be a while... you may be better contacting them direct as you suggest.... it's a great rod but for this... fantastic with the larger poppers like the Storm chug bug... and it handled a 4lb bass very well...

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I just got back from my business trip and found a letter from Greys... the rod's designed that way "so the reel wont fall off" (!).. no they can't rectify it for me... no they can't replace it with another model... and they'll keep my comments in mind when they next review the design... all in all very unsatisfactory... no more Grays for me....

Bass Boy,

Greys response sounds like a load of corporate twaddle. They screwed up (no pun intended) and put the reel seat on back to front, that simple Up or down makes not one bit of difference as to whether the reel stays on or falls off. Normally only fly seats are sold as up-locking or down-locking and thats only to put the reel a bit further from or closer to the rod end depending on the design requirements.

Its an easy enough job to fit a new seat yourself if you like the rod otherwise.

Stan.

either corporate twaddle, or a measured and reasonable response to a comment from a user who doesn't happen to like the design. i think the second is more likely, you can't expect a large company to build you a bespoke rod just beacause you don't like the design

jeepster:

either corporate twaddle, or a measured and reasonable response to a comment from a user who doesn't happen to like the design. i think the second is more likely, you can't expect a large company to build you a bespoke rod just beacause you don't like the design

:cool: I personally prefer the screw thread at the back of the reel because it's more comfortable and with a good fish on the weight is on the front of the fitting and the thread is the weakest point. I have seen rods with the reel seat both ways so it isn't impossible to change it. Anyway, why aren'y Greys building their rods with the removeable/adjustable reel seats that are now out, you can have it which ever way you like then. :D

Several points Gentlemen...

Stan... thanks for your support and advice...

In response to MJB... personally I wouldn't use a baitcaster reel with a 9ft tip action, powerful rod with heavy plugs, poopers and lures... so, using a fixed spool is NOT comfortable with the reel seat as supplied...

In response to Jeepster... I'm NOT asking for a bespoke rod... my initial comment in this chat thread was a friendly warning to all not to make the same mistake as me and buy via the net without first checking out the gear... my mistake and my fault... but... I simply asked Greys if they could fix it the way I would prefer... they said no and that's the end of it... but it does not encourage me to buy another Greys... I run my own business and would do all I can to assist my customers... they have not assisted me... end of story and end of Greys purchases by me!