Flaot Tubing in the Sea - a god idea or totally mad?!

fishfinder

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering float tubing close to the shore. Obviously its not a good idea when theres a strong wind blowing offshore, but has anyone tried it, or is it a bad idea? I was thinking of fly fishing from it.

i know the danes do it but really, they've probably had a shmoke beforehand!!! :headhurt:

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

Don't know alot about float tubes but my gut reaction is totally mad. :(

Wouldn't is be a bit like fishing in an inflatable beach toy as far as safety goes? Could be alright in a sheltered cove (no currents) with an onshore wind I suppose. :)

Now I think about it, I think its a preatty stupid idea. especially as I've just read that great White Sharks are expected of the UK coastline this year (mind you, they've been here before!)

Fishfinder - plenty of float tubes used in the sea - but limited with range and as you have pointed out to yourself, wind AND STRONG TIDE can be a problem. However, take A GOOD ANCHOR, flipper out to a spot off a reef, drop anchor and make sure it has held, then fish away. You can't flpper against a strong tide, but you can go across it.

Tommy Rowlands used a float tube in the sea off the Welsh reefs for years for fly rodding for bass - until he saw our kayaks, then that was it. You only need to go 400 yards. He used to just aim at the shore and flipper away, geting carried by the tide, but he would hit shore 1 mile from where he launched and just walk back up the beach. Inconvenient, but not unsafe.

If you have coves cut off by the tide with strong currents then it will be more difficult, but you can use a float tube with common sense and preparation - you will be more limited than in a kayak, and of course, you can't see where you are going, only where you have been!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I think some on here have a rather limited knowledge of what a modern, properly equipped float tube is like.

Beach toy indeed :wallbash:

In the right circumstances it would be perfectly safe to float tube in the sea. In the states they fish for and catch halibut from Tubes.

Now going to sea balanced on a plastic plank !!!!!!!! :unsure:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I had a go in one a few years back. It was a blast, although I did keep going round in circles at fist. Personally I would not use one in the sea as I dont swim to well, but as mention previously in the right hands in the right place I dont see why not.

There are some lovely sheltered beaches around my area where one could be used to great affect in a safe enviroment away from tides and swells.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I think some on here have a rather limited knowledge of what a modern, properly equipped float tube is like.

Beach toy indeed :wallbash:

In the right circumstances it would be perfectly safe to float tube in the sea. In the states they fish for and catch halibut from Tubes.

Now going to sea balanced on a plastic plank !!!!!!!! :unsure:

No offence meant. :)

The beach toy reference was merely concern at the speed you could move against the wind / current. I accept that they would be alright in the right place at the right time. For now though I'll stick to my plastic plank.

Cheers.