Pike Spawning

oneillbox

AH well

theres a daddy pike and a mummy pike and they go clubbing or to a posh resturant for a while ,if they like each other they may hold fins or show pike affection by sharing a roach (or if hes had a good week a nice crucian) .

in time they grow to love each other and share a weed bed or studio pad .

as they grow closer strange urges come over them and they may experiment in several naughty acts but ofcourse never go the full course.

when they get married and the weather gets a little warmer the lenghtening day makes them think strange things so long as they both feel ok and are committed to each other and its a joint decision they do "things" in secluded places.

as the years go by they get bolder and do "things" in not so secluded places with all their friends! both happy and trusting they live their lives in harmony and love and have lots of little babies and ofcourse broaden their lovemaking to include perch ,rudd ,mink and shrike.

as they become older they swim south and join other old pike and then promanade around the banks showing their shrivelled "bits" and try to do "things" with very young pike after half a bottle of treble strenght road runoff.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

when ?

where in the lakes ?

feeding activity during this period ?

thanks guys, bit of an open post but should be an informative one as i think that time of year is approaching.

Around the margins, amongst weed and sedges. feeding usually forgotten or sporadic I find. We have fished for them in the shallows with fly, spinners/plugs and even dead baits with poor results. Now if the fish are in the shallows I don't bother.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Around the margins, amongst weed and sedges. feeding usually forgotten or sporadic I find. We have fished for them in the shallows with fly, spinners/plugs and even dead baits with poor results. Now if the fish are in the shallows I don't bother.

do they all spawn at the same time hence making mid feb onwards a complete waste of time for piking?

do they all spawn at the same time hence making mid feb onwards a complete waste of time for piking?

I have always found February onwards to be the very best time of year on stillwaters. I know of two waters where the north-west corner is the favoured location where all the big girls gather for spawning, but I'm not sure if that is generally favoured or just coincidence. The last two weeks of the old season can be excellent.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

The small male jacks are the first to gather and feed in the shallows, waiting for the larger females to join them sometime later.

(Once spawning has taken place, the jacks can make a useful meal for the female, needing to regain her energy).

Pike are amongst the earliest coarse fish to spawn.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The time varies from area to area, I find they usually start about april, unless the spring is very mild/cold.

Edited by greg long

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Do you not think it would be wiser and more ethical to leave them to spawn in peace?

I know we have no close season, but pike are quite vulnerable fish, without targeting spawn bound fish.

Many pike spawn in February down south.

Just my opinion, but then I am one of the "old school"

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

if you read the thread then you will see there is no suggestion of not leaving them in peace, just my ignorance about their spawning habits and wanting more info.

but i do understand your concern....

but pregnant women turn some blokes on, obviously not you.. :)

Youve got to remember that Den is that old he cant remember what all that old huffing and puffing,bouncing around stuff is about :P Just a distant memorey!

Even though I wouldnt sugest intentionally targetting spawning fish of ant species Im not that worried about fishing for them durind that period as I believe that the actual spawners arnt to fussed about feeding any way.Ive caught pr spawning pike (with milt/spawn in them) but handling doesnt seem to cause them to shed it like other species and Ive never seen anything to sugest it causes harm.I also understand the sugestion that they are even more delicate after spawning and need to recover.In reality though the post spawning feed has been a traditional time for pikers to make hay.Im not saying that tradition makes it right but surely after all the years of them being fished for we would have noticed any problems?

Carefull handling goes without saying but that goes for any time of year.

Another thing! Pike dont seem so "haggard" after they spawn as other fish do maybe they are tougher in this respect? or more likely wait and recover that bit longer before actively hunting/feeding again.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!