casting side planers

The Flying Tench

John - take a look at This Post from the Kayak section. That device might be easier to manage and while I have not personally used it, the listing does sound like it could be a more wieldy option than a standard side planner.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word of warning chaps. The device you are describing sounds an awful lot like what we call an 'otter board' north of the border. In Scotland they are illegal and if caught using one you risk having your gear (including car) confiscated and a big fine too boot.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A word of warning chaps. The device you are describing sounds an awful lot like what we call an 'otter board' north of the border. In Scotland they are illegal and if caught using one you risk having your gear (including car) confiscated and a big fine too boot.

Interesting point.

I know they are often used when trolling behind boats on Lochs, would that also be illegal ?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Otter boards - illegal per se or only when being used with trawling nets which is their usual application?

Based on the diagrams I was able to google up for 'otter board', I doubt if a planner board designed to tow a single lure would be seen as the same device.

Still and all, governmental regulations don't always seem logical to me so probably best to check before using one in Scotland.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's interesting, one article suggests live baits, another surface or shallow water pike lures; and in a thread a couple of years ago KenL said he had success with lures such as a Mepps No 3 for perch. So the planer seems to work with a range of applications. I like the sound of the surface lures (I've only got one, and never caught on it), but I guess that needs warmer weather?

john clarke

Let that be a warning John, if you get caught try explaining to the garage what happened to their new courtesy Zafira :blink:

Edited by Rabbit

Interesting and a gadget I'd never heard of before. I think that for a shore lure angler they could be excellent in some situations and are certainly worth a try.

Otter boards - illegal per se or only when being used with trawling nets which is their usual application?

Based on the diagrams I was able to google up for 'otter board', I doubt if a planner board designed to tow a single lure would be seen as the same device.

Still and all, governmental regulations don't always seem logical to me so probably best to check before using one in Scotland.

Two different items with the same name Newt. Otter boards or otter doors can be one of a pair of devices used to spread a trawl leterally as it is pulled through the water. An otter board can als be a device like the one described in this item, but I am 100% sure that they were illegal in Scotland when I left there in 1988. Unless the law has changed otter boards are illegal for any fresh water species north of the border. I don't know what the situation would be using one in the sea.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'm really interested in one of those Side Planers, I'm hoping to do more lure fishing in the future. While trying to understand a little more about how they work I had a look on YouTube and found this: http://www.bulletbobber.com/ I have to say it looks very interesting, what do others think?

Yes, very interesting, but we've got testimonials from 3 people to say how the planer board works. I guess I'd need to see something similar for the bulletbobber - let us know how you get on. I quite agree that it looks less bulky and more flexible and may be great.

john clarke