An Alliance Between Anglers And Commercials?

stavey

@autum@ according to Big Cod there are already lots of fish in the sea.

You are asking the same question as me,and I still have not heard a senseable suggestion, what do you concider as sustainable fishing? there is enough commercial fishermen on this forum now to form our own alliance, which then could go further.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

My understanding of sustainable fishing is that that Leon promotes. Taking the excess from a stock at safe levels. The safe levels I would like to see are those discussed by ICES. But I guess the world is not a perfect place and that is no more likely to happen than the uk gaining control of waters out to 12 mile.

With regard to what you say about big cod ill make my usual reply. Yes a good catch, In relative terms not such a good catch. In years gone by such a day was considered average or below now it's considered fantastic. As someone said recently : "One codling doesnt make a winter". Fingers crossed it is signs of an improvement though.

Good luck with the alliance. You'll soon be taking over the propaganda agency's role.

Hi Wurzle,

Sustainable fishing is best likened to the farmer who retains sufficient seed to sow his fields the following year.

Unsustainable fishing is best likened to the farmer who sells his entire crop and has nothing left to sow next year.

The BBC made a big noise about global warming on the news, now if we assume that all involved are not complete nutters we have to accept global warming is a fact of life and the ecosystem is being threatened.

Add to that situation over fishing of the complete food chain and you end up with a major problem.

I am no expert but even a d*ck h**d like me can see that written on the walls in capital letters.

So why I ask is an expert like Wurzle puzzled about sustainable fishing??

Bottom line is some species have suffered for a number of reasons and we are now more than likely reaping what should be future years breeding stock and that is unsustainable.

Protecting that stock with whatever methods are required is sustainable fishing.

How many commercial are on this thread?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Ok. first of all let me apologise to chris (jaffa) nothing was meant to offend you, honestly, it was meant as a joke, you have posted some good stuff on here so "sorry" may i retract the remark about the bluefin swimming to the moon?

Right first lets try and clear up a few facts yeh, wurzel and binatone are commercials that seem to like the idea of some sort of alliance yes? old man o the sea is a retired commercial and feels the same way? john brennan was a commercial and now is a charter boat angler and from his posts it seems he also likes the idea, these appear to be the only commercial and ex commercial fishermen commenting on this thread at this moment in time, unless i have missed something? that is it from the commercial side of things, ofcourse if their are more reading this thread and not joined in" then by all means please come on and make your thoughts known.

Autumn and others, ask yourself a question would you have personaly posted a thread like this asking any commercial if it was possible to form an alliance? i think we know that would have been most unlikely, theres nothing wrong in that everyone has there reasons etc and i would except that, the fact that someone has" (me) and we have had some (i think) good responses from both sides has to be a positive otherwise we would have never known, this in itself is an achievement im sure you will agree?

To form an alliance there must be a certain amount of trust, (yes we all no that im sure) trust is not just given it has to be earnt has'nt it, for example our fishermen (and more importantly there representative organisations) dont trust sea anglers and their organisations with what they consider their livelyhood, ie, our inshore waters they are very concerned that all we want to do is to ban them from large no go areas of it, when realy this is not exactly true, these ideas are being spread by eu ministers and people like greenpeace etc, i dont want to go there realy because no doubt someone will find something somewhere on the net saying these people endorse it and that people do and so on.

We then have to think of ways after a little trust is built up to make good use of such an alliance and self policing is one of many areas, we know that many foriegn vessels fish all the time illegaly inside the six mile limit,as an angler i dont want that" and im sure our fishermen dont either, now maybe some anglers already do but im sure if we were all to make an effort of reporting such incidents as they were being carried out maybe our fishermen might look on that as an act of good nature and also it may help with developing more trust.

before we can even put proposals and ideas/solutions to each other about conservation needs etc, (that im sure our inshore commercial fishermen are well aware of and admit deepdown there is a need for) we have to be able to get to the position i have outlined above.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Stavey

You missed me out, I'm ex commercial who was and still is an angler even when I was commercial fishing. Something for everyone to remember is the fact that lots of commercial fishermen go angling on their time off for relaxation and/or enjoyment

Guest jay_con

Im sorry, but I havent a clue what your on about. This is how things look from my perspective at the moment

You, 1 commercial fisherman, 1 person claiming to be a commercial fisherman whoose qualification to do so Im unsure about, 2 x-commercial fishermen, and jaffa (who isnt so sure of forming an alliance with you now since you think he's a mad scientist) are gonna form an alliance with your main aim being to take control of the 12 mile limit. You havent a clue what you are going to do with it once you have it and you appear to have no other plausable policies (letting fishermen police the sea is not plausable to me). I guess big trees come from small acorns but you need to come up with more than that to be credible.

Taking control of our waters you sound like that muppet of an conservative Mp who represents our area.

[ 06. October 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

On another thread someone mentioed that all commercial fishing boats have a tracking device onboard, does it record just their current position or the whole of the route?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

by autumn,Taking control of our waters you sound like that muppet of an conservative Mp who represents our area.

Hmmmmmm i wonder how he got in then autumn? as everybody agrees in your area on your way of thinking.

Autumn are you happy with all the foriegn vessels that come into your area scooping up tons of your baby cod and dumping them over the side at night? i dont suppose one minute your fellow club members are? wait a minute maybe i am mad because of course this might not be happening?

I look for no financial or political gains ambitions or whatever from posting on this forum (unlike some) i do it because i happen to care about a hobby and if my posting on here makes no sense to you then dont comment, after all, we all cant be perfect can we.......

{quote],On another thread someone mentioed that all commercial fishing boats have a tracking device onboard, does it record just their current position or the whole of the route?

I dont know ken as i am a muppet" maybe binatone or wurzel can answer that.