Metal Detectors

Elton

I have been detecting for years with a C scope it is a good model to use. I am lucky to use beaches where my weights and traces are re used from finds. I often find old coins, cutlery and army stuff I don't do fields as there is so much to find on the beaches.

I've been saying I'll buy one for years, so decided now was the time. Some items have been found locally to me before, and I know a couple of farmers, so I'm hoping to gain access to some likely spots. I'm just a curious person, so anything I find will be of interest :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck! being a beginner you might get on with it ,i found it agonisingly heavy compared to my hip mounted cscope 3300 (the old one i mentioned ) i tried direct comparison trials machine against machine and using my old one i could hear a signal deeper than the motion R1 its nanny "cassie" worthless at extreme depth.

but what the hey you will be out and about and like angling you never know what the next bite is until you land it.once that first bit off hammered pops out you will be hooked i'm sure.

its despite its notion of being top of the range is 12+ years old hopefully its internals have been updated :huh:

you can download the manual so you can visualise its workings here

http://www.csmetaldetectors.com/product.aspx?pid=24

will i scan and send them the manual for my old 3300 for their archive ,hmmmm they refused to provide a locking nut for it so they can hang themselves ,Cscope is no longer customer service orientated like times of old :(

saying that though their machines are designed for the heavy mineralised soils of the UK so are far better in use on typical farms

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Blimey, thats a lot of money Elton. This is the one I use.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...64&T=Module

It gets strapped up with the rods for times when the fishing is slow.

Usually find a few quid with it and fishing weights. Found a victorian brass pendant & 3 artillery shells, pre 1st world war.

Chesters, if you're finding lots of 303 cartridges, take them down the scrappy, brass was £3000 per tonne last time I checked.

We used to get 2p a case from the old militaria shop in the indoor market in Guildford when I was a kid. We'd make up belts from the spent ones over Ash ranges.

Oh, yeah Elton, courting places were good places to metal detect. The woods around remote car parks, found lost of dosh that had fallen out of pockets while trousers were round ankles :D

theres plenty of places ,we found a wood at fairlands (near guildford) had hundreds of tokens scattered around it (bell ones from fruit machines) they were spent wisely as 50p's in our leccy meter (still got a real bill though but it got around the hard times) :D

roadside verges are mostly overlooked and some are wooded and wide ,the worst thing i ever found though was a strange signal in very soft earth ,so soft i used my hand ,my brain was thinking hidden cache! my hand found fizzing terrier remains the signal its collars studs and buckle :uhuh: the green fizzing slime from the cavity i exposed stomach churning.

soft earth or recently ploughed fields are hard for the detector to analyse ,when a metal item settles it very slowly leaches tiny particles into the soil (except gold ofcourse) which make the target appear bigger ,in soft soil unless you know exactly how your machine acts its easy to miss them or worse still the machine rejects them as rubbish if its discrimination is too high ,better to dig iron than miss cut hammered

modern machines have notch filtering but i suspect its based on items of different metals face on ,a side on target maybe rejected by the criteria the chip inside the machine that rejects (or only looks for) the target ,i know the R1's notch mode is good but maybe biased to "known" object traits .a side on bit of hammered is very strange and very hard to pinpoint especially in motion setting where the head of the detector needs to be moved at a certain speed ,one thing about an old non motion machine is you can move the head far slower "creeping up" on the target before the discrimination side cuts in ;)

got a hefty fine errr recycling ash cartridges :( we happened to be err collecting when a lady was shot and the place was alive with SIB and we bumped into them :help:

as for cartridges you can tell what they are and not waste the time digging them up ;)

i was out in a verge one day well into the brambles and i had a big target ,iron but the needle flicked up minutely (not sure new machines would see that) on digging a few inches into the moss and leaf mould i found a bit of rotting wood with springs in it ,on pulling it out it was a chair seat (i found the back a couple of foot or so away also sprung) anyway i was about to lay it back down when i moved the head over the ground it lay on and found 3 half crowns ,obviously the dumper hadn't bothered to search it before chucking it in the verge decades before

once the snows gone get that detector out Elton ,the grounds damp and soft and the grass is flattened ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been caught over Ash ranges too. Just got told off though. Used to live at Rydes Hill about a mile from Fairlands, just as I moved out I found that majic mushrooms grow in hundreds on the common next to the Criketers, bother.

You've hit on one of the fundamental laws of detecting there Chesters, always scan the hole again, just because you've found one thing doesn't mean theres not something else there.

I've been caught over Ash ranges too. Just got told off though. Used to live at Rydes Hill about a mile from Fairlands, just as I moved out I found that majic mushrooms grow in hundreds on the common next to the Criketers, bother.

You've hit on one of the fundamental laws of detecting there Chesters, always scan the hole again, just because you've found one thing doesn't mean theres not something else there.

blimey small world ziggy ,we lived at woodstreet the wood in mention was the one on the main road between classford bridge and fairlands

i could detect on rokers in the daytime and creep out onto merrist wood at night ;) mostly golf courses now both of them

we happily helped the police with their enquiries acted as witnesses in the womans inquest then the buggers still took us to court for the bullets ,jkwgiu$%%"ril!!!

Edited by chesters1

Blimey Chesters.

You'd be no stranger to the Hare & Hounds then.

Do we know each other in the real world ?

Is your real name Carol & did you have blond hair ?

What was that pub at woodstreet called, the one that had a fire that was open both sides?

Just been reading this and the terrier story has confirmed my decision to skip breakfast today :yucky:

I'm quite excited now. It might be a while before I can do any proper detecting, but as soon as the snow melts, I'll impress the wife with my new-found gardening skills ;)

I'm going to have a word with the farmer who owns the land around here - IP13 6TJ - this is a few hundred yards from my house and on top of a hill, so a good a place as any to start.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Blimey Chesters.

You'd be no stranger to the Hare & Hounds then.

Do we know each other in the real world ?

Is your real name Carol & did you have blond hair ?

What was that pub at woodstreet called, the one that had a fire that was open both sides?

bastard i am that girl called carol with the blond hair ,you owe me 20 years of child maintenance for your kids bungle, george and zippy but a cure for herpes would be better.

I know the pub but like foxes i tended to **** elsewhere rather on my doorstep so tried the guildford pubs but used the coach and horses farnham as our regular haunt.

Elton get yourself of to the library to look at the tythe maps it will save wasting hours detecting park land (where the bosses had the only access ) from places the masses could use .

your hill could have been wooded so little used or an anglo saxon village thats the beauty of our long history ,the best areas are anywhere with a footpath or bridal way crossing it ,small now but in the past they were heavily used highways ;)

Edited by chesters1

Ooh, plenty of footpaths and bridleways around here :)

Mention of local tithe maps here - http://www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...SPDJune2010.pdf

I'll keep digging...