Ship Going Down

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6284377.stm

link to general public photos

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

In reply to Ken and Jim's questions - no ships aren't rivetted, rivetting died out around the time of WW2. And as to how it was holed - I think just sheer rough seas caused her to break her back, the cracks are at an obvious change in the ship's structure.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

John Kenneth Galbraith

If her back was broken (as it sounds) the destination would have been chosen more based on weather/waves, both current and anticipated, than on distance. Chances of making port intact are not really good but the less battering, the better.

I was involved 3 times in trying to make port towing a ship with that sort of damage. We failed on all three and they simply broke apart during the trip. Older hulls in each case and I guess they were just too tired to hold together. One minute you are towing a damaged ship and the next, you are only towing half of it and that half is sinking quickly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The original plan was to get it to Portland for offloading and repairs, however she started to deteriorate during the tow so they changed to shelter in Lyme bay, then beach it instead of letting it sink in deep water. Fowey/Falmouth would have meant towing into the wind and waves. I just hope I don't find any of the flotsam the hard way if I'm out on my boat this weekend!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I think they wanted to get it to Portland so they could let her down on a level sandy bottom.

I might go out tomorrow with a big stick to save the RSPCA a lot of money, after all, there are a lot of old, mangy, and injured foxes for them to look after.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• 2 weeks later...
In the year 2006, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in England and said, “Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me. Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing, along with a few good humans.”

He gave Noah the CAD drawings, saying, “You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.”

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark.

“Noah!” He roared, “I’m about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?”

“Forgive me, Lord,” begged Noah, “but things have changed. I needed Building Regulations Approval because the Ark was over 30m2. I’ve been arguing with the Fire Brigade about the need for a sprinkler system.

My neighbours claim that I should have obtained planning permission prior to building the Ark in my garden because it is development of the site even though in my view it is a temporary structure, but the roof is too high. I had to appeal to the Secretary of State for a decision.

The Local Area Access Group complained that my ramp was going to be too steep, and the inside of the Ark wasn’t fully accessible, then the Department of Transport demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark’s move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.

Getting the wood was another problem. All the decent trees have Tree Preservation Orders on them and we live in a Site of Special Scientific Interest set up in order to protect the spotted owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!

When I started gathering the animals, the RSPCA sued me.

They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will - arguing the accommodation was too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

Then the County Council, the Environment Agency and the Rivers Authority ruled that I couldn’t build the Ark until they’d conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

I’m still trying to resolve a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission on how many BMEs I’m supposed to hire for my building team.

The trades unions say I can’t use my sons. They insist I have to hire only CSCS accredited workers with Ark-building experience.

To make matters worse, the Customs and Excise seized all my assets, claiming I’m trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.

So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark.”

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky. Noah looked up in wonder and asked, “You mean you’re not going to destroy the world?”

“No,” said the Lord. “The government already beat me to it.”

lmaro

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?