Flooded river?

Anderoo

driving in wellies is illegal and moonboots might be a grey area.

The only relevant bit of the Highway code I can find says that

"Before setting off. You should ensure that... clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner"

That's a "should", rather than a "must", which in Highway Code speak means that there is no specific legislation mandating it and that you can't be prosecuted for that in itself. It could, however, be used against you in court to determine liability or as evidence of another offence. So if wearing wellies caused you to crash, it might be used as evidence of driving without due care and attention.

The only relevant bit of the Highway code I can find says that

"Before setting off. You should ensure that... clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner"

That's a "should", rather than a "must", which in Highway Code speak means that there is no specific legislation mandating it and that you can't be prosecuted for that in itself. It could, however, be used against you in court to determine liability or as evidence of another offence. So if wearing wellies caused you to crash, it might be used as evidence of driving without due care and attention.

I emailed the department of transport to get clarification. This is the email they sent back

Thank you for your enquiry.

It is not illegal to drive wearing any particular kind of footwear - or indeed barefoot. The law only requires drivers to maintain proper control of a vehicle.

Terry Deere

Dept for Transport

Road User Safety Branch 2

zone 2/11

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London SW1P 4DR.

Tel: 020 7944 2046

Basically, exactly what has been said, but thought I'd post it up as it came from them.

Cheers

Toby

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"

Some years ago I visited the upper Medway after Barbel.

The river was up several feet and chucking through, my only option was a flooded ditch. I popped a worm plus a couple of swan shot down under my rod tip into max 2' of water and seconds later had an excellent knock. Lifting into the fish it shot out into the main river and headed off down stream. After a while it decided to come back but on coming level it kept on going! Excellent my first large Barbel me thinks. After a bit more tearing about the place it came to the surface . . a large very fat Mirror Carp of 9 to 10lbs. Drat.

Many years ago on the Darent at Shoreham, after trying the Eden at Penshurst which has grown from 15ft wide to 100!, the only spot of slack water was 12" x 12", still I gave it a try and took two very decent Roach. . .Having never seen Roach of this size at Shoreham in over 40 years. Just goes to show !!

Andrew Boyd

Really? Makes sense I suppose. Blimey, driving in moonboots, parking down private roads - what has become of me!

Bloomin heck- Anderoo "Renegade Angler"! :o:D Whatever next!

Great post though mate! amazing how when we are out and the conditions are "crap" we will search and scratch around just trying to find some sport? We are prepared to try even the unlikliest of places if they just "look right"? Doing this though can find us many great little spots that future days of not being able to catch because of bad conditions become very few. great stuff.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's not illegal? Ah well, there goes my 'edge' - I guess I am just a mild-mannered editor after all :P

I still keep thinking about this...to be honest I did expect to get something there, but it was the size of the fish that was surprising. The perch were getting on for 1.5lb each, GQ's chub were a good couple of pound each, and that one I lost, well - it was either a 6lb chub or 4lb perch, I can't quite decide which!

I'll certainly be more open-minded from now on, and also make fewer excuses about bad conditions! No matter how bad the conditions are now, I now know at least one place where there's a chance of a bite.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

I stand corrected on the wellie issue.........sorry fellahs.

Steve has it about right though......just make sure the top of the welly isnt fouling your seat so as to make moving your feet on the pedals difficult.

Sorry to semi hijack your thread anderoo..........nice fishing sesh mate :thumbs:

When I was about 8 years old I found a 25 lb salmon running up a ditch that was about 18 inches wide and 8 inches deep.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote