The Spring Crucian thread

Paulg

Photographed a 4.03 for a guy in the next swim yesterday - couldn't match that but I did get another new pb of 3.14 :)

Well done Anderoo....I am looking forwards to seeing some pics!

I failed to get a single crucian on Saturday morning, the wind made it just about impossible for float fishing. Managed seven tench on the feeder rod.....I like tench so was quite happy with these, but I would have been even happier to get just one of my target species. That said, five other anglers on the same lake, had caught a sub-1 lb crucian and a little roach, between them, so I felt a bit better :)

Yes the wind has been unbelievable! Plus on a shallow lake that means undertow, which complicates things.

I think the crucians are shoaled up and quite localised. On my last trip only 3 of us caught crucians and we were all next to each other. I only fished there because there was a free swim, not for any other reason. The lake is really busy so it's a case of turn up, find a swim, and hope they come across your bait. Not really how I like to fish, but I expect it will calm down a lot once they've spawned.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am beginning to think that I should have perhaps titled this "The Spring Tench thread" :crazy:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/blog/195/entry-1297-22nd-may-the-plan-another-attempt-to-get-a-crucian/

Another lack of success on the crucian front, it is a good thing I enjoy catching tench just as mush as I do crucians! Although I am starting to wonder what I might be doing wrong, perhaps they have wised up to my aftershave?

• Like 2

I am beginning to think that I should have perhaps titled this "The Spring Tench thread" :crazy:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/blog/195/entry-1297-22nd-may-the-plan-another-attempt-to-get-a-crucian/

Another lack of success on the crucian front, it is a good thing I enjoy catching tench just as mush as I do crucians! Although I am starting to wonder what I might be doing wrong, perhaps they have wised up to my aftershave?

Another good write up Paul, and a good insight into how your 'troubles' encroach on your angling, and, (more importantly),how you overcome them.

You're right about how it affects those around you, an often forgotten impact of any serious illness. I believe that being able to talk honestly to each other about it, helps to dispel the fear surrounding it.

A good catch of tench, keep at it, maybe next time will be crucian time, third time lucky and all that. :fishing:

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It seems to have been a funny spring crucian-wise, I had a brief dabble at MF a few weeks ago and it was a similar story. I gave up on my main lake as the cold spring postponed their spawning and it turned into a right old circus with everyone chasing monsters - I like catching big fish but it was too much for me. I'll go back once they've spawned and everyone's moved on to the next thing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Another good write up Paul, and a good insight into how your 'troubles' encroach on your angling, and, (more importantly),how you overcome them.

You're right about how it affects those around you, an often forgotten impact of any serious illness. I believe that being able to talk honestly to each other about it, helps to dispel the fear surrounding it.

A good catch of tench, keep at it, maybe next time will be crucian time, third time lucky and all that. :fishing:

John.

Thanks very much John - hopefully me doing a bit of "talking" about cancer will help someone!

Anderoo - attempt number three this coming Friday, I hope !

Paul