The Spring Crucian thread

Paulg

Likewise, I haven't caught anywhere near as many as rich this year but all mine have also been on fake baits using scaled down bolt rigs.

It would be interesting to see how you get on float fishing them, I imagine they might spit them out pretty quickly before you can strike?

Ps as with tench fishing, it doesn't seem to matter what the fake bait is trying to imitate. Maggot, caster, corn, pellet, they all seem to work equally well.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not the biggest from my latest venture into the frustrating world of crucian fishing, but it was the best picture...2lb 1oz.

18703782509_b4e440c7fa_b.jpg

This was one of a catch of half a dozen, two of which were a bit bigger, 2lb 5oz and 2lb 6oz.....and I'm going back down to Marsh Farm with Chris for another go in a couple of days. Hoping to find some bigger versions of the same species, fingers crossed. All these were caught on hair-rigged pellets, but I'll be trying fake caster and maggot on the next outing.

• Like 1

but it was the best picture...2lb 1oz.

That was because I didn't take it!! Nice to get among the crucians on Tuesday night - hopeful for something even bigger in the next day or so!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Scaling down to a size 18 and single caster got me this one while float fishing yesterday morning, 3lb 3oz. During the same session I fished a second rod, flat bed method feeder, fake caster....not a touch in over 12 hours fishing!

18936221896_261e959f6d_b.jpg

Scaling down to a size 18 and single caster got me this one while float fishing yesterday morning, 3lb 3oz. During the same session I fished a second rod, flat bed method feeder, fake caster....not a touch in over 12 hours fishing!

18936221896_261e959f6d_b.jpg

Lovely crucian :) Interesting about the feeder and fake bait, did you not even get any tench on it?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Lovely crucian :) Interesting about the feeder and fake bait, did you not even get any tench on it?

Not even a tench on the feeder, couple of beeps on one cast but that was it...time to review the mix I'm using with the feeder methinks!

Not even a tench on the feeder, couple of beeps on one cast but that was it...time to review the mix I'm using with the feeder methinks!

Maybe it was just in the wrong spot?

As the crucian fishing at marsh farm seems a lot slower this year, I was thinking about having a go at Milton Lake, Old Bury Hill - anyone been there recently? used to be my "go to" water for crucians, but not fished it for a few years now!

Mat

Mat

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple of crucian sessions over the last 3 weeks and have finally caught some on the float close in, which has been really great. My last session at the weekend wasn't as productive as the previous one but I managed 3 good crucians on the float before the tench and little carp raided the swim. So exciting to see them bubbling and porpoising in the swim :)

This was the biggest one (3lb 7oz):

IMG_3212_zpssgikek71.jpg

There's a float near the lillies somewhere...

IMG_3213_zpsjss79idw.jpg

A lovely way to spend a summer's day.