A Nice Catch of Mullet

Leon

Again I have to say that it has to do with what you see in that picture.

I thought that a reasonable debate about what was compatible with the different perceptions of the picture in question was quite interesting.

Then of course that’s no good is it? Stavey (bless him) has to jump in head first and deliver his perceptions of the photo.

I cannot and in fact I admire wurzel restraint when he has to read something like that.

I would have thought that you might have been a bit more diplomatic Leon? But then again confrontation between commercial and recreational is all that you have sought in my brief time on here.

Your disturbing regularity on matters that can only have been hatched from the inner circles of some extremist conservational regime. Has at times made me wonder who and where angling representation is really coming from.

How can you threaten an industry with figures of millions? Disturbing familiarities to what DEFRA have stated when they talk about recreational acceptance of there proposals regarding RSA.

If I was a commercial fisherman I would not be too worried about recreational representatives or people who shoot from cyber space. My mane concern would be where I was going to get my next bit of quota from, or my next days at sea.

I would imagine that most commercial fishermen know who the real enemy is Leon. They have been at war with them for generations. Recreational anglers have no natural enemies. They do have strong competition for the fish they whish to catch but no natural predators who are going to stop them doing what they have done for enjoyment for generations.

Well not until now that is. Irresponsible recreational leadership is dragging them (RSA) into a war that will be fought on the battlefield of bureaucracy. RSA have had the alliance of diplomacy on there side for years. Unfortunately the loss of that diplomacy and the greed of there representatives will be more destructive than any method of fishing that a commercial fisherman could throw at them.

Regards.

Challenge, between the two post i think Leons is a lot more diplomatic than yours. Some of your post i would say is inflammatory to say the least. Not all rsa are of the same mind, you make it appear that we are all in a battle, that has to be classed as exaggeration in my book.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recreational anglers have no natural enemies.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/

http://www.pisces.demon.co.uk/factshe7.html

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/factfiles/angling.pdf

http://www.shellfishnetwork.org.uk

and so on!

Angling is the front line, the commercial sector next in line.

Another reason that the catching sector needs to be defending the front line, rather than weakening it!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Wondering if someone could give me some information.

Now i don't pretend to know the ins and outs of commercial fishing and never have. But the last time i had the opportunity to wet a line i went with my nippers down to Berry Head, where after about two casts a trawler started working approximately 100yards out.

Needless to say the guys who were fishing packed in as there was no longer any point.

My daughter (5 Yrs old) just getting the bug for fishing was greatly dissapointed.

So can anyone answer this question; If the fish stocks are well off and not over exploited why does a trawler need to work that close in?

Perhaps you could take this one Wurzel as i would like the perspective from your side of the fence.

Thanks

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Wondering if someone could give me some information.

Now i don't pretend to know the ins and outs of commercial fishing and never have. But the last time i had the opportunity to wet a line i went with my nippers down to Berry Head, where after about two casts a trawler started working approximately 100yards out.

Needless to say the guys who were fishing packed in as there was no longer any point.

My daughter (5 Yrs old) just getting the bug for fishing was greatly dissapointed.

So can anyone answer this question; If the fish stocks are well off and not over exploited why does a trawler need to work that close in?

Perhaps you could take this one Wurzel as i would like the perspective from your side of the fence.

Thanks

I'll answer some of it if you like Roryh as i go past the head two or three times a year for the last thirty. Berry head is a fabulous spot in summer garfish,wrass, strings of mackerel, bass off the rocks, when we collect mackerel for bait as normal we see guys fishing for them. Are you sure it was a trawler as it is particulary rocky there as you are aware. I'm a bit dissapointed that your five year old daughter was dissapointed in seeing the trawler, she should have kept on fishing as you never know what is in the sea. Could they have been crabbers if you look there is always loads of pot buoys in the water. I would not have packed up just on the pretext of seeing a commercial boat. Dont forget Brixham is just around the corner, are you sure he was fishing? Wurzel now fishes the thames although south devon was one of his haunts. When it's westerly i have seen the commercial boats come round the corner to get out of the sea and prepare to go into harbour, perhaps gutting fish or sorting their nets etc. Are you sure they wasn't doing that.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

1.2 million sea anglers (maybe up to 3 million) and as many again who would like to give it a try.

Not if they have to buy a £22 license!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I'll answer some of it if you like Roryh as i go past the head two or three times a year for the last thirty. Berry head is a fabulous spot in summer garfish,wrass, strings of mackerel, bass off the rocks, when we collect mackerel for bait as normal we see guys fishing for them. Are you sure it was a trawler as it is particulary rocky there as you are aware. I'm a bit dissapointed that your five year old daughter was dissapointed in seeing the trawler, she should have kept on fishing as you never know what is in the sea. Could they have been crabbers if you look there is always loads of pot buoys in the water. I would not have packed up just on the pretext of seeing a commercial boat. Dont forget Brixham is just around the corner, are you sure he was fishing? Wurzel now fishes the thames although south devon was one of his haunts.

Hello Barry

I have fished Berry head as I have most marks around Torbay many times as an angler never as a commercial fisherman.

As you say it is very rough ground and it would most likely be a potter hauling pots.

As a angler if I was fishing a shore mark and a trawler came with in casting distance I would be baited up ready to cast as close behind him as I could, there would be more fish following feeding on what the trawl net was stirring up than what is being caught in the net, now that is a fact that no angler on here could imagine.

Steve says I would not earn a living if I had to fish inshore all year, wrong, there are several fishermen in our area that do as they do all around the country, it's just that my niche is further off most of the time, I shall be working within three miles of shore for the next 3 months, I don't see any reason why I won't have some good catches as I have done every other year, signs are that it could be even better than recent past years.

Quote from Leon

"But in fighting to retain possession of the whole cake, rather than sharing a little with others, there is a risk that far more of it might be lost going down the road of trying to have it all."

But Leon you are quite welcome to catch all the fish you can it would not bother me or any other commercial. help your self, It's not the commercials who want the whole cake it's the anglers or more to the point as challenge says it's the angling reps.It's you that don't want to share it.

You threw the first stones we are just throwing them back.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

Fishingfine.

If you honestly think that there are only crumbs left, I strongly suggest that you have your oven checked.

Barry luxton.

I totally agree with you when you say that not all anglers are of the same mind.

Unfortunately DEFRA believe that from there negotiations with angling reps, that this is not the case.

I believe that the majority of sea anglers want to move from an era of confrontation to an era of negotiation.

Selfish representation and a campaign to promote confrontation have left RSA at the mercy of the bureaucrats.

Regards.

It's you that don't want to share it.

We've clearly defined that it's only around £50 million of the over £550 million UK catch that RSA has any great interest in, and even there whereas government recommendation was that some species be considered wholly for RSA, including bass, the proposal from RSA was for an improvement in the stock that would benefit both sectors.

That the catching sector went incandescent at the thought of the bass stock (which had traditionally been almost wholly recreational before around the 1980s), should be managed in part for the benefit of anglers took everyone by surprise. Many now believe that we should have asked for far more to begin with.

You threw the first stones we are just throwing them back.

As adult and mature response from the catching sector as I've seen :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The thing is, there never has been, and never will be, any negotiation. It's always the same. RSA asks for something that may give improvements that RSA badly needs, and the commercial sector says f*ck off. Can we have an increased MLS for bass? NO. F*ck off. Can we have a small area where there's no netting allowed? NO. F*ck off. Can we have measures that will cut down on discards? NO. F*ck off. And it's not just RSA who get this treatment.

Every time ICES, CEFAS, DEFRA or anyone else says there is a need for measures to protect fish stocks the answer is always the same. NO. F*ck off.

That sort of attitude will never achieve anything other than confrontation.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Can we have an increased MLS for bass?

Every time ICES, CEFAS, DEFRA or anyone else says there is a need for measures to protect fish stocks the answer is always the same. NO. F*ck off.

That sort of attitude will never achieve anything other than confrontation.

It's far worse than that as far as i'm concerned. Posted before, the welsh did not go for the new mls, so what did they do they wrote to mr bradshaw saying the rsa are affecting the stocks, so what did defra do, you are just seeing the results come through now. Love the back door politics.