How much is caught on charter trips?

Toerag

the contact from human touch reacts with the flesh and slowly kills them, by slowly i mean hours rather than days, all to do with a reaction i am told. Could be wrong of course!?

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stavy,

The whole of the beach area where I beach fish is a nursery, flatties from 1" up and scores of young bass and mullet.

Because it is generally fairly shallow their is no trawling to worry about, just a few gill nets on the Loughor estruary and a couple of staked nets on the beach.

Should it be a no go area, I do not think that is nessary providing people observe size limits and return fish undamaged, having said that it is not fished heavily anyway.

When I start thinking of no go areas the one I would love to see for a complete ban on netting in any form would from Lands End to St Davids Head, draw a straight line across and make it a no go area right up the Bristol Channel,

It's just a dream, hasn't got a hope in hells chance of happening, but what a wonderful area it would create.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Toerag:

Originally posted by Snatcher:

[qb] Those pollack must go like hell in the shallow water, and the good thing is that they can be returned!

Reading through the posts it seems like ~10 fish per angler is about the norm (I'm not counting baitfish).

Hi Toerag

10 species per angler not 10 fish is the norm. A poor day will produce 60-100 Pollack for 4 anglers. A good day will produce well over 200 Pollack.

I insisted that all inshore Pollack go back approx 10 years ago because I noticed we were ruining our own sport. since then the fishing has levelled off and is sustainable. We have caught one easily reconisable fish 5 times over a four year period. On the Pollack grounds there are plenty of Ballan Wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, Coalie and Conger.

If anglers need to take a few fish home we go offshore where there is usually plenty of Haddock, Codling, Whiting, 3 types of Gurnards and flatties.

offshore for us is 800 yards to a mile out.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

big_cod:

Ian every pollock i have caught will blow its swim bladder ,you must be fishing in very shallow water,other wise the fish will only die if returned.

Hi Big Cod

We are extremely lucky to have our fish 10 yards off the rocks in 30 ft of water. There are far more Pollack on your coastline than people realise. A mate of mine fishes the float tactics of Ashington and reguarly gets Pollack to 9 pounds. He recons the Pollack are moving in to replace the Cod.

Pollack or Cod from deep water can be returned by pushing an hypodermic syringe through the skin, just in front of the axxe hole into the bladder. If you get it right you can hear a hiss of air escape.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Iam not convinced they live, we have talked about this many times last year we were after big ling for the angling festival in july baiting wrecks with fresh mackerel me must have returned over 200 lings in 2days trying to get the big one 99% of these fish had blown there swin bladder but carefully popped the bladder the air came staight out of the fish and they went back down but i am not sure they live,but it paid off in the end we got one 33lb-10oz but there was a 38llb caught in the same festival nice fish

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Any research on this? Has anyone tagged and returned fish to see if they are caught again.

We get some small Pollock of the east pier. Or rather we used to untill the bridge fell down and the councill refused to replace it (despite spending 20m on scarborough sea defences).

Isnt it strange we still have plenty of ling here. Another fish the trawlers cant get at so easily.