Fog Trip

SeaDooDavid

At least I got my lardass out week before last! The days of that thick fog we had, I ventured out on a flat calm sea just 1200 metres or so out. Not much fish, just some doggies and schoolie pollock (all returned)

Some of the doggies were quite big and felt like dustbin lids coming up ha ha. Good fun though! Weird in the fog, especially when the tide turned me about face on my anchor, which did my nut in till I looked at the GPS :thumbs:

Roll on the summer :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

SDD~~~~ :sun:

post-6361-1171233536_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1171233556_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one SDD.

Decent doggie as well. GPS is worth its weight in gold in those situations. :thumbs:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Nice one SDD.

Decent doggie as well. GPS is worth its weight in gold in those situations. :thumbs:

Hi DS

Yeah, good ol GPS! Was right next to a marker post so could scuttle there very quickly if any speeding boats were to pass (they didn't!) and had the drift alarm set to 50 metres just in case the anchor slipped. First time I have used that function on the FF / GPS, VERY useful in fog on anchor :thumbs:

The doggie on the pic wasn't the biggest either, bloomin huge things ha ha.

All the best

Nice doggies there seaDoo ........... can you actually eat them . ? dont get many in east coast waters ..

Hiya :)

Yep you can eat em, very nice too! (mine went back though) they are like skate or shark though, you have to soak em in salty water to remove ammonia otherwise yuk :yucky:

You may not get em but you get the REAL cod!! :thumbs:

Dave

Hiya :)

Yep you can eat em, very nice too! (mine went back though) they are like skate or shark though, you have to soak em in salty water to remove ammonia otherwise yuk :yucky:

You may not get em but you get the REAL cod!! :thumbs:

Dave

Would be interested in a detailed account of how to prepare them, as I hear they're very tasty, especially on a barbie. I remember reading about it somewhere (maybe not on this forum). Think you have to hang them off a hook to strip the skin off, a bit like a rabbit, and then there's the ammonia thing, as you say SDD. Do you know any more about it?

At least I got my lardass out week before last! The days of that thick fog we had, I ventured out on a flat calm sea just 1200 metres or so out. Not much fish, just some doggies and schoolie pollock (all returned)

Some of the doggies were quite big and felt like dustbin lids coming up ha ha. Good fun though! Weird in the fog, especially when the tide turned me about face on my anchor, which did my nut in till I looked at the GPS :thumbs:

Roll on the summer :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Great stuff SDD.

Only just sorted the Nav light, do I need to put a Fog Horn on the equipment list as well? :lol:

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

If you ever go into a chip shop and ask for rock and chips , its dogfish your eating. Caught hundreds of the bloody things and they do make good eating , they are quite simple to prepare and have got no bones in em only cartilage. I've never soaked em before I've eaten them and never found a problem with amonia , had an Italian mate who was a chef and he used to love cooking doggies he never soaked them either . Sometimes there called rock eel or rock salmon.

If you ever go into a chip shop and ask for rock and chips , its dogfish your eating. Caught hundreds of the bloody things and they do make good eating , they are quite simple to prepare and have got no bones in em only cartilage. I've never soaked em before I've eaten them and never found a problem with amonia , had an Italian mate who was a chef and he used to love cooking doggies he never soaked them either . Sometimes there called rock eel or rock salmon.

Bang on Codshead :thumbs:

Its the guts and to a lesser extent the skin that has a bit of ammonia in them! If you gut em at sea, no problem! Some boat fishermen tie the gutted fish (including skate wings) behind the boat for the trip back in and they are perfect by the time they are back to port!.

I managed to get the skin off quite easily by dipping them in boiling water first and then slit down the back and around the head, hold the head (salt on hands helps the grip) then just peel off skin like a rabbit. You are left with mainly the back and tail section, slit down the length of this so the knife touches the cartilage in the middle. You should then be able to pull out this in one slow movement leaving just yummy fish to eat. Breading them and deep fat frying them creates a scampi like meal~~~~yum :thumbs: