Braid

englander

Hi All

Got a one handed john wilsons spining rod & a diawa baitcater,

It is well ballanced & casts well with rapalas & light spinners.

however the line is 20lb whiplash braid & it will just snap even when casting a light weight lure, its not me Knots as it will snap 20 yards into the cast & for no apparant reason.

what am I doing wrong?

any advise welcome

Thanks

If you are really using a baitcaster on a spinning rod, you should strongly consider getting a rod ringed for baitcasting. It will feel much better and perform better as well. A spinning rod will have rings mounted on exactly the wrong side of the rod and too few of them spread too far apart. One effect is to have the line rubbing against the rod when under any sort of load.

If you have a tiny crack in the lining of one of your rings, it can easily be causing line damage which will lead to the sort of problems you speak of. Take a cotton bud (or whatever you folks call a stick with a small ball of cotton at the end) and test your rings. Gently run the cotton end around the inside of each ring with a slow spinning movement while you are doing it. If there are any cracks, cotton fibers will stick in the crack. Any ring with the smallest crack needs replacing.

Test your line to make sure you don't have line that is prone to breaking when you put on pressure. I'm not familiar with the exact braid you are using but any brand can have a bad batch or two.

If whiplash is stiff and thick like fireline, consider changing to a different line so you can move up to 30lb for really light lures or 50lb for more general use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt,

The rod is actiually designed for a baitcaster, the line is very fine its more like cotton ie flexible, but with 20lb breaking strain.

I might try some other brands & size up to 30lb.

Its weird when a light lure/ rapala can snap a 20lb line.

Has any one else used Whiplash line before?

Ta's

Can anyone tell me the need to use braid for spinning, casting, over mono, what would the advantage be? As braid does not strech it would take a battering when it's being used for casting?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Can anyone tell me the need to use braid for spinning, casting, over mono, what would the advantage be? As braid does not strech it would take a battering when it's being used for casting?

G'day mate, not so; braid's non stretch is a definite advantage for the simple fact that one feels virtually all and every "touch". I use 20 lb braid, fishing off the rocks, using an overhead reel (ABU 6500c) and cast out for spotty mackerel; casting up to 60, 70 metres and high speed retrieve. Never had any braid break. Whereas, once I used a mono line and could not feel anything until I got a solid hook-up. Also, the mono's catanary, due to the stretch, is more pronounced, making it harder to make any good strike.

Remember, also, the rod's fast, or slow action is an aid to the casting.

Great to use, try it, mate :thumbs:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi All

Got a one handed john wilsons spining rod & a diawa baitcater,

It is well ballanced & casts well with rapalas & light spinners.

however the line is 20lb whiplash braid & it will just snap even when casting a light weight lure, its not me Knots as it will snap 20 yards into the cast & for no apparant reason.

what am I doing wrong?

any advise welcome

Thanks

:clap2: As others here have advised, check your rings for cracks and chips, if they're OK it must be the braid but I've never had a problem with Whiplash. It could be that the braid has been damaged in some way but you should be able to see signs of fraying etc.

:clap2: Braid is great for spinning because it is thin and non-stretch. I have used one line, "Illusion" that is a co-polymer which is thin and low stretch and unlike braid, is clear, it's also half the price of braid, well worth noting. It breaks over stated BS so 10lb breaks at about 15lb, bear it in mind. It was available at ROK-MAX, I assume it still is. :clap2:

I'd go for heavier BS whiplash, I find even the 30lb unreliable. I think the sheer lack of diameter makes it extra susceptible to abrasion.

Newt - Whiplash is nothing like Fireline. It's (as said earlier), like cotton, and very thin, 80lb Whiplash is as thin or thinner than 20lb fireline!!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I use whiplash all the time in the boat, with a leader when fishing rough ground or wrecking.........brilliant, never a problem. For plugging I use 14lb Fireline in Smoke but about to try the new Crystal fireline. I wouldn't fancey using something so fine as 20lb whiplash on a small multiplier, maybe go the way Norman is suggesting.