Best knot for eyed hook - dexterity problems.

philocalist

All,

I'm with Kiri on this one. In fact, I can't say I've ever seen a "weak" knot advertised. Puzzled, on #16 and 18 size hooks?

Regardless of the knot tied incorrectly you are at a high risk. Otherwise different knots do offer different presentations.

Phone

I will say - most of my "lost fish" to line breakage (anywhere, from mainline to hook) is primarily my fault and not an excuse for loosing the fish.

I was raised fishing with snelled hooks and a half hitch to a swivel.

Philo,

For your personal pleasure and enjoyment I'm sure you will be much happier - thus fish more - if you don't burden yourself with "something you used to do very well". Have someone do it for you!!!!!!

well im a lazy fisherman...don't use hook lengths and keep things as simple as possible

dad always told me: the more knots you have, the more weak points you have...

that's generalising too much though....but in all honesty I fish an ultra fine 8lb mono straight to hook; usually a size 14 or 12. but that line is more than capable of tying onto smaller hooks.

there are a couple of waters I have to use hook lengths for and then I just tie my own anyway. usually with a drennan mono of 6lb line

last few fish ive lost? let me think:

foul hooks have to be the most common.

I recall one hook coming off last year for definite and I think there was snag line snap or two last year.

ive never pin pointed line snap to moving shot up and down the line; and being a lazy fisherman, that's something I do all the time! LOL! set the float up, plumb the depth, slide the shot...rinse and repeat! LOL

I don't know...but in all honesty I think modern tackle just doesn't conform to a lot of the do's and don'ts that maybe fishermen followed 10-15 years ago.

To be honest, I've not really had problems with knots at all prior to this incident - I was always more concerned about the potential damage to line being caused by the application of shot, particularly when you start sliding it up and down the line to adjust end tackle.

I wonder which has the greater potential for losing fish?

Try pulling your line tight to stretch it a little before putting on your shot, don't squeeze them on to tight. When you want to move them pull your line tight again and the shot should slide smoothly. I sometimes spit on my finger and run it along the line where i'm sliding the shot also.

Andy,

He went out of his way to say NO HOOK TYERS. I have no clue why

Phone

Because I fing them totally inoperable - even worse than trying to tie hooks with fingers like numb sausages :doh:

I usually use only two knots:

a clinch knot for smaller hooks size.

and a grinner variation for larger ones.

clinch.jpg

uzel-grinner.jpg

I usually pass the line through the eye of the hook twice on my grinner instead of the once in the image above.

dunno if they are the right names for those knots but that's what I know them as! LOL

both are super duper easy to tie..and to be honest if you fancy hair rigging or similar then I use bait spikes which work superbly well for me.

im a simple fisherman and I don't do complicated rigs or knots....

Ive always used the grinner on my sea hooks. Never failed yet. Always left a " tail " of about an inch from hook eye.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”