New Carp Fishing Rigs

basshead07

Hi all,

ive wanted to try a few new rigs tactics and baits lately and im trying new baits and tactics i just need to no a few rigs so i was wondering, whats your favourite rig? alll help appreciated :)

Tight Lines Jay

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Hi all,

ive wanted to try a few new rigs tactics and baits lately and im trying new baits and tactics i just need to no a few rigs so i was wondering, whats your favourite rig? alll help appreciated :)

Tight Lines Jay

Try not to get suckered into the idea that there's a best rig or best bait. Put simply, the best rig and bait are the ones which work best in a given situation. This can change from water to water, from session to session and from hour to hour. The best anglers are those who can fish to the conditions and improvise their tactics to solve very specific situations.

All the 'carp' rigs you see in mags will catch carp, although most are seriously over-engineered. You often see sentences like 'I like to keep everything simple...' and then 4 paragraphs listing the most overcomplicated bits from the Korda catalogue!

What is your lake(s) like (deep/shallow, gravel/clay/etc., snags, silt), how pressured is it, how big are the fish, how heavily stocked is it, what other species are present? These factors (and more, like what's the weather like when you're fishing) will all affect how you should approach it.

Sorry to be a bore, but there are no secret shortcuts!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Try not to get suckered into the idea that there's a best rig or best bait. Put simply, the best rig and bait are the ones which work best in a given situation. This can change from water to water, from session to session and from hour to hour. The best anglers are those who can fish to the conditions and improvise their tactics to solve very specific situations.

All the 'carp' rigs you see in mags will catch carp, although most are seriously over-engineered. You often see sentences like 'I like to keep everything simple...' and then 4 paragraphs listing the most overcomplicated bits from the Korda catalogue!

What is your lake(s) like (deep/shallow, gravel/clay/etc., snags, silt), how pressured is it, how big are the fish, how heavily stocked is it, what other species are present? These factors (and more, like what's the weather like when you're fishing) will all affect how you should approach it.

Hear! Hear!

The point about articles in carp mags is that those writing them invariably have sponsors to placate or in some high profile cases have their own compaanies to promote, and therefore have a vested interest in product placement.

On that point alone, advice has to be treated with scepticism (if not cynicism!)

Den Darkin (Poledark) is a catcher of many and large carp, and I recall him saying that the simplest, subtlest rigs are what he aims for - and they also work, and not a sponsor's name in sight.

The lieks of Danny Fairbrass are first and foremost salesmen and without disrespect, they have an interest in shifting their product - what easier target than those who read about their successes without having seen other people achieve the same success and more without having to buy into the 'just add this and just add that...' spiel.

Hear! Hear!

The point about articles in carp mags is that those writing them invariably have sponsors to placate or in some high profile cases have their own compaanies to promote, and therefore have a vested interest in product placement.

On that point alone, advice has to be treated with scepticism (if not cynicism!)

Den Darkin (Poledark) is a catcher of many and large carp, and I recall him saying that the simplest, subtlest rigs are what he aims for - and they also work, and not a sponsor's name in sight.

The lieks of Danny Fairbrass are first and foremost salesmen and without disrespect, they have an interest in shifting their product - what easier target than those who read about their successes without having seen other people achieve the same success and more without having to buy into the 'just add this and just add that...' spiel.

Hear! Hear!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Ok Alan, you made your point :) :) I give up :) :)

Jay, try to think how the fish will pick up your bait, and try to make sure the fish can actually find it.

Carp are easy when "on the munch" they will dig a bait out from weed or silt, but most of the time they are probably just mooching about picking up a morsel here and there, so present it in a way that enables them to find it.

Were I so inclined, I could fill your head with loads of fancy rigs, specially designed leads with bits added, how to add bits of foam, use mesh and bags, baits presented "on a post", method rigs etc, all of which have caught me carp. In fact I rarely use the same "rig" more than two days on the trot (I fish 4/5 days a week).

Many days I don't catch, if the fish switch off then nothing works, if they are not in my swim nothing works.

For what it is worth, here are two setups which will catch and cover most situations..

PVA mesh with small 3mm pellet, short 3" hooklink with 2 grains of popup plastic corn. The shot holding the corn down is positioned on the hair under the corn. This ensures the hook sits in the pellet when the bag dissolves, with just the corn sitting on top of the little pile. Test the setup in a bowl of water at home to see the effect. Can be devastating (there I have said it :) ) but the pics I put up last year with the 3 fish in the net at once were caught on that setup, along with about 300 others (not all mine I should add) :)

Combi rig, 8" of stiff amnesia and 2" of soft braid, mesh bag, popup corn on hair and a bit of pva foam in the bag or on the bend of the hook. The pva bag/mesh should be filled so it is no more than about 1" diameter The foam will slow down the sink rate and help to ensure the bait is on top of any debri/weed.Lengthen the stiff portion if the weed is bad.

Good luck :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

One of the great joys of abandoning "serious" carp fishing is that I no longer feel inclined to waste countless hours reading all the nonsense written about rigs. The sudden sense of freedom and re-birth that comes with it must be similar to the sensation of having cataracts removed.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Just to echo what's been said already, keep it simple, I catch most of my carp freelining floaters, but if I have to fish on the bottom I use a simple running leger with a half ounce bomb and more often than not hair rigged maize on (off?) the hook; all the bites are still screamers.

Like you Peter, I rarely (actually never) buy the mags. I occasionally pick up one of the ones left in the signing in hut, useful for checking out for prices of pellet etc.

But I would never put a younger less experienced angler off from buying them, after all, I devoured every thing I could read when I was a young man. When I started pole fishing (twenty years ago? ) I bought Advanced Pole Fishing for a season...tremendous source of help and advice, and a book on match fishing helped me a great deal.

Jay, by all means buy and read the mags, but bear in mind that they only write about the successes, rarely about the blanks.

When I fished a famous Southern syndicate water, we were honoured with the presence of the current carp record holder for a season. Much was made of this in the mags and rags. It took him several weeks to catch his first fish, but suddenly it was all over the pages of the papers....they never mentioned the blanks he had while others were catching :)

Julian Cunliffe has it right when he advise you to spend your money on a good water, then good bait.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic